Torrent: A Novel (River of Time Series) by…

Torrent: A Novel (River of Time Series) (edition 2011)

by Lisa T. Bergren

Member:krau0098
Title:Torrent: A Novel (River of Time Series)
Authors:Lisa T. Bergren
Info:David C. Cook (2011), Edition: New, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Already Read, Read but unowned
Tags:time travel, young adult, historical fantasy, historical fiction

Torrent by Lisa T. Bergren

Summary: Gabi and Lia Betarrini have learned to control their time travel, and they return from medieval Italy to save their father from his tragic death in modern times.
Personal Reaction:This has become one of my favorite series. It was packed full of adventure, romance, and many twists and turns. There was so much conflict and thrilling adventure contained within its pages that it felt like I hardly had a chance to breathe… and I loved every minute of it. It is a true testament to the love of friends and family and faith. The characters are the type of people you admire and who inspire you to be a better person. They are smart, loyal, brave, have strong personalities, morals, and are caring. I also liked that this series was interesting and intriguing without being crude. It was a clean read that I couldn't put down.
Classroom Extension: Would recommend to YA book readers and would have it any MS or HS library. Connect to Black Plague, 1400's, Sienna, etc. ( )
  LorraineAllen | Jan 23, 2015 |
In the midst of the battle, the Betarrini women escape to the Etruscan tombs. They plan to negotiate the time warp to allow them to return to the future to save their father from the accident that killed him. Once they’ve managed to convince him they are not crazy, he enters the tomb with them and they are transported back to medieval times. Read the rest of the review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2014/02/02/torrent-lisa-t-bergren/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
I have been so surprised at how much I loved this series, that it was no question that I would read book 3. I don't normally read historical fiction, but I had heard such positive things about this series and saw it on the shelf at my library, it was like fate, meant to be, because I am so glad to take the trip through time with Gabi and Lia and was excited to find a time in my reading schedule for it.
It is so good to be back in Gabi's head and in the times, and it touched me even more that now they have the whole family. You get a good sense of what has already happened since they are there with their dad, and everything is new to him.
Gabi is amazing and strong as usual, but we get to see even more vulnerability in her in this one. I think that is major character growth because she realizes its okay to ask for help and accept it.
I loved the relationship too between her and her parents in this one. There is this balance of respect, deference, and above all love and wanting the best for each other.
I will say that for a bit I wasn't too pleased about the seeming appearance of a strange love triangle, but eventually I had to accept that it really did strengthen the plot and ultimately show Gabi what her heart truly desired and a means for her safety.
What I longed for even more was the reunion of Marcello and Gabi, as well as Lia and Luka since they have something budding there and I hope it turns into more, but I have to know either way. And boy did I eventually get it. I adore that these two are gentlemen. Yes, I love bad boys as much as the next person, but I also love a man who will put himself out there for their woman, and who will woo her and treat her like a lady.
Tomas was a new favorite in this one, and so glad that I got to meet him. He's an excommunicated priest but given work by Rodolfo, and Tomas and Gabi get to know one another. I admire his faith but also how he took Gabi under his wing and helped her see the truth of some things.
I know there will be a fourth, but am super pleased with the way that this one ended. It somehow gave me all it could in resolution and what I wanted for the characters. I just really hope that in the next one (and yes, super glad that she decided to write it) that the issue of the plague will be further dealt with. It feels like it has been on the back burner simmering for two books and thought that I would see more resolution or that to be the big conflict in this one, but it wasn't.

Bottom Line: Good installment in a fun and fast trip through time. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Jan 20, 2014 |
I don't know what it is about this series. I find them incredibly boring during the beginning (when everything is going well) and have the hardest time getting into the story. However, once the action picks up, I just can't put it down. I think it took me a couple of weeks to a couple of months to read the beginning of each of these books, and about a day to finish the last 2/3 of them. Not sure how I feel about that, but by the end I loved this third book in the River of Time series. I think I will continue to read any more that come out in the future and just force myself through the beginning. ( )
  Annesanse | Oct 18, 2013 |
Read the full Review at Witchmag's Boekenplank

On the first of September I was very happy, Torrent was finally available! Only to find out that Amazon hadn’t put the Kindle version online yet… I actually had to wait a few days more for this great ending!

A lot happened this time in the story and so quickly, that I had a bit of a problem with keeping up. Although I got the feeling that the story was a repeat of what happened in Waterfall and Cascade. The Firenzi’s are making trouble, Gabi tries to help, fights a bit, flees for her enemies till Marcello saves her and all is well again. Okay, that’s not exactly how the story went, but it is the red line in this book, just like the other two books.

Not that the story was any less fun to read, but it became predictable. And I don’t like predictable… Of course there some unexpected twists, that I didn’t see coming at all and some upset me very much…

Gabriella has grown a lot compared to the previous book, even though she continues to act first and think afterwards. Oh well it’s probably her personality. I continue to admire her for wanting to protect her friends and family at all costs and her love for Marcello. I don’t know if I would have done the same if I was in her shoes.

Marcello *deep sigh* he continues to be the knight in shining armor, although he has some very old-fashioned beliefs about how women should behave. Thankfully he allows Gabi to be herself, otherwise she would have started a rebellion, I just know it ;) . I still don’t have a clue how old he is. Does anyone have an idea?

Overall rating 3 hearts. The story was great, but as I said a little too predictable. I like it when books continue to surprise me and although there were some very surprising moments in this book, the red thread was too visible for me. I’m glad to announce that this probably won’t be the last book about the she-wolfs! Lisa T. Bergren posted on her website the first chapter of the fourth book, Tributary! ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Oct 6, 2013 |
We’d shaken the dust from the gowns the guys had left the three of us and slipped on our “medieval disguises,” as I called them, but there wasn’t a whole lot we could do for Dad.

When Gabi and Lia finally learn to surf the river of time, they realize they must make hard choices about life and love in the third and last book in the River of Time series.

Gabi and Lia Betarrini have learned to control their time travel, and they return from medieval Italy to save their father from his tragic death in modern times.   But love calls across the centuries, and the girls are determined to return forever—even though they know the Black Plague is advancing across Europe, claiming the lives of one-third of the population. In the suspenseful conclusion of the River of Time series, every decision is about life … and death.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 143476429X, Paperback)

When Gabi and Lia finally learn to surf the river of time, they realize they must make hard choices about life and love in Torrent, the third and final book in the River of Time series.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:06 -0400)

Gabriella and Evangelia Betarrini are just two normal American teenagers. Normal except for the fact that they time travel to fourteenth-century Italy, where they've lived in castles they've seen as crumbling ruins, become swept up in historic battles, and fallen in love with handsome knights willing to do anything to keep them alive. They've returned to the present to save their father, just short of his tragic death, and now all four return to the place that holds the girls' hearts, medieval Italy. But remaining there means facing great risk as the battle for territory wages on and the coming Black Plague looms. Can they convince their parents to stay and leave behind everything they've worked so hard to accomplish? And will the girls sacrifice their futures in an uncertain past? Or in facing death head-on, will they discover life as it was always meant to be lived?… (more)

73 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,787,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible