Torrent: A Novel (River of Time Series) by…

Torrent: A Novel (River of Time Series) (edition 2011)

by Lisa T. Bergren

Member:krau0098
Title:Torrent: A Novel (River of Time Series)
Authors:Lisa T. Bergren
Info:David C. Cook (2011), Edition: New, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Already Read, Read but unowned
Tags:time travel, young adult, historical fantasy, historical fiction

Torrent by Lisa T. Bergren

Recently added byku., booknerdships, jesssika, dreampotter33, private library, Jafmrb28, DTChantel, SparklePonies

I have been so surprised at how much I loved this series, that it was no question that I would read book 3. I don't normally read historical fiction, but I had heard such positive things about this series and saw it on the shelf at my library, it was like fate, meant to be, because I am so glad to take the trip through time with Gabi and Lia and was excited to find a time in my reading schedule for it.
It is so good to be back in Gabi's head and in the times, and it touched me even more that now they have the whole family. You get a good sense of what has already happened since they are there with their dad, and everything is new to him.
Gabi is amazing and strong as usual, but we get to see even more vulnerability in her in this one. I think that is major character growth because she realizes its okay to ask for help and accept it.
I loved the relationship too between her and her parents in this one. There is this balance of respect, deference, and above all love and wanting the best for each other.
I will say that for a bit I wasn't too pleased about the seeming appearance of a strange love triangle, but eventually I had to accept that it really did strengthen the plot and ultimately show Gabi what her heart truly desired and a means for her safety.
What I longed for even more was the reunion of Marcello and Gabi, as well as Lia and Luka since they have something budding there and I hope it turns into more, but I have to know either way. And boy did I eventually get it. I adore that these two are gentlemen. Yes, I love bad boys as much as the next person, but I also love a man who will put himself out there for their woman, and who will woo her and treat her like a lady.
Tomas was a new favorite in this one, and so glad that I got to meet him. He's an excommunicated priest but given work by Rodolfo, and Tomas and Gabi get to know one another. I admire his faith but also how he took Gabi under his wing and helped her see the truth of some things.
I know there will be a fourth, but am super pleased with the way that this one ended. It somehow gave me all it could in resolution and what I wanted for the characters. I just really hope that in the next one (and yes, super glad that she decided to write it) that the issue of the plague will be further dealt with. It feels like it has been on the back burner simmering for two books and thought that I would see more resolution or that to be the big conflict in this one, but it wasn't.

Bottom Line: Good installment in a fun and fast trip through time. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Jan 20, 2014 |
I don't know what it is about this series. I find them incredibly boring during the beginning (when everything is going well) and have the hardest time getting into the story. However, once the action picks up, I just can't put it down. I think it took me a couple of weeks to a couple of months to read the beginning of each of these books, and about a day to finish the last 2/3 of them. Not sure how I feel about that, but by the end I loved this third book in the River of Time series. I think I will continue to read any more that come out in the future and just force myself through the beginning. ( )
  Annesanse | Oct 18, 2013 |
Read the full Review at Witchmag's Boekenplank

On the first of September I was very happy, Torrent was finally available! Only to find out that Amazon hadn’t put the Kindle version online yet… I actually had to wait a few days more for this great ending!

A lot happened this time in the story and so quickly, that I had a bit of a problem with keeping up. Although I got the feeling that the story was a repeat of what happened in Waterfall and Cascade. The Firenzi’s are making trouble, Gabi tries to help, fights a bit, flees for her enemies till Marcello saves her and all is well again. Okay, that’s not exactly how the story went, but it is the red line in this book, just like the other two books.

Not that the story was any less fun to read, but it became predictable. And I don’t like predictable… Of course there some unexpected twists, that I didn’t see coming at all and some upset me very much…

Gabriella has grown a lot compared to the previous book, even though she continues to act first and think afterwards. Oh well it’s probably her personality. I continue to admire her for wanting to protect her friends and family at all costs and her love for Marcello. I don’t know if I would have done the same if I was in her shoes.

Marcello *deep sigh* he continues to be the knight in shining armor, although he has some very old-fashioned beliefs about how women should behave. Thankfully he allows Gabi to be herself, otherwise she would have started a rebellion, I just know it ;) . I still don’t have a clue how old he is. Does anyone have an idea?

Overall rating 3 hearts. The story was great, but as I said a little too predictable. I like it when books continue to surprise me and although there were some very surprising moments in this book, the red thread was too visible for me. I’m glad to announce that this probably won’t be the last book about the she-wolfs! Lisa T. Bergren posted on her website the first chapter of the fourth book, Tributary! ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Oct 6, 2013 |
This is the third book in the River of Time series and was an excellent conclusion to this series. There are two more novellas after this book called Bourne and Tributary. I loved how the central themes of the book are love and happiness despite all the war that is going on.

Gabi and Lia save their father from death in the present and travel with him and their mother back to medieval Italy. When they return they find that the nearby castle is occupied by Marcello’s enemy and rumors are that Fortuno is being held captive. Gabi and family must find Marcello and try to bring peace to realm.

Gabi is a tough heroine, she came off as a bit unrealistically tough at times even given the fact that she has sword fighting skills. At one point she is wielding a broadsword and another she climbs up a wall; both would require incredible strength. Still I enjoyed reading about her, she is easy to engage with and definitely a good character.

Marcello comes off as a bit too alpha male for me at times as well. Gabi and him definitely don’t see eye to eye on her position in his castle and his life. There is a love conquers all theme to this book, but in reality I wonder if Gabi and Marcello would be able to resolve their differences in a peacetime scenario.

There were a couple small things that bothered me about the story. All of the characters were a bit too noble for a war situation; I mean Gabi is captured and surrounded by soldiers yet the idea of her "honor" being compromised is only mentioned in passing. Since this is YA I guess we can expect a lot of the violence seen in a war situation to be glossed over...but at times it was all a bit too roses and daffodils for me.

Also there is a lot more of Gabi begging God for help and then getting that help. Yes, she does have to take situations into her own hands at times. I hate it though when characters beg to God to fix their problems...it's even worse when that ends up being the answer to their problems. I prefer characters to grasp their own fates and not depend on God to get them out of situations. This isn't too overwhelming but it is definitely more prominent in this book than the last two books in the series.

Aside from the above, the book in incredibly well written and very easy to read. It is also fairly predictable. The writing is very beautiful though and I enjoyed the historical setting. Bergren does an excellent job of having the girls talk to each other in modern language and stick to more traditional language when talking to other characters in the period. I love the characters and love how the whole family is on this adventure together.

Overall a satisfying conclusion to this series. The book is beautifully written and the characters easy to engage with. There is a bit more of the characters begging God to solve their problems which I didn’t enjoy. At times Gabi comes off as too tough and Marcello as too alpha male. But aside from that I really enjoyed the setting and the story. This whole series is recommended to fans of YA historical fantasy. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 27, 2012 |
(Note: This review is for both Cascade and Torrent)

In short: Though I needed more depth than the River of Time series by Lisa T. Bergren was able to give me, I do actually recommend this series if you're looking for a fun, fast-paced read.

The River of Time series has received so much hype and positive reviews that I just had to jump on the bandwagon and read it too. And I can see why this series is so popular. The extremely fast pace, the non-stop action, the swoon-worthy boys men, the feisty and brave heroines - the River of Time series is Entertainment with a capital "E". At no point is there ever any scene that is boring and at no point is there ever any lull in the non-stop adventures of the Betarrini Family.

At times, however, I felt the series was actually a bit too fast-paced for me - and this was ultimately the major factor in every little problem I had with the series. Plot points could have been better developed, characters and character relationships could have been further explored, and the time travel aspect could have been better explained, if only the series had slowed up the pace a bit more and included these things. Action scene after action scene is really fun, but I needed some filler to fully flesh out the story. And I really needed to know why Gabi and fam thought it was okay to completely mess with world history.

Something that really bothered me about the series, which I believe stemmed from the extremely fast pacing and not enough time spent developing the characters, is that Gabi and Lia kill A LOT of people and feel no remorse for it. We see them experiencing some grief after their first human kills in Waterfall, and then NOTHING in Cascade and Torrent. I realize that they're in a war situation and killing in defense is inevitable and I'm not asking for an all out Angst Fest here, but I needed for these young girls who grew up in the 21st century to feel something about these countless people they were killing, especially in a series where there are several passages where Gabi reflects on the value of human life. And though this has nothing to do with this series being considered Christian Fiction - because if you are a GOOD person, you will feel remorse for killing someone no matter what your religion - I was kind of under the impression that God wasn't down with killing humans.

Am I taking this series too seriously? Probably. But if that isn't an indication that what is supposed to be a light, fun read isn't the type of read for me, then I don't know what is. I needed more depth than the River of Time series was able to give me. This all being said however, I do actually recommend this series. All my complaints are obviously highly subjective and I think the vast majority of people would actually really enjoy spending an action-filled time with a cast of fun characters in Lisa T. Bergren's River of Time series. ( )
  AyleeArgh | Apr 9, 2012 |
We’d shaken the dust from the gowns the guys had left the three of us and slipped on our “medieval disguises,” as I called them, but there wasn’t a whole lot we could do for Dad.

When Gabi and Lia finally learn to surf the river of time, they realize they must make hard choices about life and love in the third and last book in the River of Time series.

Gabi and Lia Betarrini have learned to control their time travel, and they return from medieval Italy to save their father from his tragic death in modern times.   But love calls across the centuries, and the girls are determined to return forever—even though they know the Black Plague is advancing across Europe, claiming the lives of one-third of the population. In the suspenseful conclusion of the River of Time series, every decision is about life … and death.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 143476429X, Paperback)

When Gabi and Lia finally learn to surf the river of time, they realize they must make hard choices about life and love in Torrent, the third and final book in the River of Time series.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:06 -0400)

Gabriella and Evangelia Betarrini are just two normal American teenagers. Normal except for the fact that they time travel to fourteenth-century Italy, where they've lived in castles they've seen as crumbling ruins, become swept up in historic battles, and fallen in love with handsome knights willing to do anything to keep them alive. They've returned to the present to save their father, just short of his tragic death, and now all four return to the place that holds the girls' hearts, medieval Italy. But remaining there means facing great risk as the battle for territory wages on and the coming Black Plague looms. Can they convince their parents to stay and leave behind everything they've worked so hard to accomplish? And will the girls sacrifice their futures in an uncertain past? Or in facing death head-on, will they discover life as it was always meant to be lived?… (more)

73 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,749,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible