Torrent: A Novel (River of Time Series) by…

Torrent: A Novel (River of Time Series) (edition 2011)

by Lisa T. Bergren

1491980,266 (4.4)4
Member:krau0098
Title:Torrent: A Novel (River of Time Series)
Authors:Lisa T. Bergren
Info:David C. Cook (2011), Edition: New, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Already Read, Read but unowned
Tags:time travel, young adult, historical fantasy, historical fiction

Torrent by Lisa T. Bergren

3.5 Stars. Review to come. ( )
  Medievalgirl | Oct 4, 2016 |
A bit silly, but fun and irresistibly entertaining, just like the first two in the series. A nice change from the grim, humourless dystopian fiction that seems to be dominating the YA genre at the moment. Also, two words: LORD GRECO.

I can't wait to read Bourne and Tributary. ( )
  TheEditrix | Jan 13, 2016 |
Review of both Cascade and Torrent together
3.5/5

OK, the good part of this trilogy is that it's fascinating, adventurous, full of extreme danger and often almost miraculous escape from it. River of Time is rush, bold and breathtaking.

On the other hand, as long as you know that this is pretty much a teenage girl's fantasy in la-la land, you are fine.

I can't wrap my head around Gabi's stupidity and lack of instinct of self-preservation. Sure let's sneak out past Marcello's guard and save the world despite him being of this era, knowing all the risks and trying to prevent Gabi from committing a virtual suicide. The girl lacks common sense so much I wanted to smack her and smack her hard. I really don't know how she survived all her trials...

Then comes the matter of Black Death. What on Earth was THAT?! First, Luca contracts it and deteriorates way tooo fast. But wait. Next time we see him, he is miraculously cured. What?! I've no idea what happened, and it irked me to no end.

My issue with this series is that despite it being hugely entertaining, most of the problems Gabi brings on herself trying to play a superhero. Secondly, there is no consideration of the butterfly effect. You know, the whole Bettarini bunch changing the past hugely all the time? Yeah, that one.

My last problem is that most of the situations are repetitions of what already happened. If Waterfall was refreshing and unique, the rest two books were annoying and improbable. Gabi is way far from a Christian ideal. She kills and she maims, but where is her remorse? Where is her PTSD? She is just a teenage girl, but her behaviour is not adequate to what she has to go through.

So, yeah. A great read with lots and lots of flows very much like Steel by Carrie Vaughn which made pirates look like cartoonish version of the real deal.

If you want to read a really good time travel book, I highly recommend The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Summary: Gabi and Lia Betarrini have learned to control their time travel, and they return from medieval Italy to save their father from his tragic death in modern times.
Personal Reaction:This has become one of my favorite series. It was packed full of adventure, romance, and many twists and turns. There was so much conflict and thrilling adventure contained within its pages that it felt like I hardly had a chance to breathe… and I loved every minute of it. It is a true testament to the love of friends and family and faith. The characters are the type of people you admire and who inspire you to be a better person. They are smart, loyal, brave, have strong personalities, morals, and are caring. I also liked that this series was interesting and intriguing without being crude. It was a clean read that I couldn't put down.
Classroom Extension: Would recommend to YA book readers and would have it any MS or HS library. Connect to Black Plague, 1400's, Sienna, etc. ( )
  LorraineAllen | Jan 23, 2015 |
In the midst of the battle, the Betarrini women escape to the Etruscan tombs. They plan to negotiate the time warp to allow them to return to the future to save their father from the accident that killed him. Once they’ve managed to convince him they are not crazy, he enters the tomb with them and they are transported back to medieval times. Read the rest of the review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2014/02/02/torrent-lisa-t-bergren/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
We’d shaken the dust from the gowns the guys had left the three of us and slipped on our “medieval disguises,” as I called them, but there wasn’t a whole lot we could do for Dad.

When Gabi and Lia finally learn to surf the river of time, they realize they must make hard choices about life and love in the third and last book in the River of Time series.

Gabi and Lia Betarrini have learned to control their time travel, and they return from medieval Italy to save their father from his tragic death in modern times.   But love calls across the centuries, and the girls are determined to return forever—even though they know the Black Plague is advancing across Europe, claiming the lives of one-third of the population. In the suspenseful conclusion of the River of Time series, every decision is about life … and death.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 143476429X, Paperback)

When Gabi and Lia finally learn to surf the river of time, they realize they must make hard choices about life and love in Torrent, the third and final book in the River of Time series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Gabriella and Evangelia Betarrini are just two normal American teenagers. Normal except for the fact that they time travel to fourteenth-century Italy, where they've lived in castles they've seen as crumbling ruins, become swept up in historic battles, and fallen in love with handsome knights willing to do anything to keep them alive. They've returned to the present to save their father, just short of his tragic death, and now all four return to the place that holds the girls' hearts, medieval Italy. But remaining there means facing great risk as the battle for territory wages on and the coming Black Plague looms. Can they convince their parents to stay and leave behind everything they've worked so hard to accomplish? And will the girls sacrifice their futures in an uncertain past? Or in facing death head-on, will they discover life as it was always meant to be lived?… (more)

60 wanted1 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,621,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible