Torrent: A Novel (River of Time Series) by…

Torrent: A Novel (River of Time Series) (edition 2011)

by Lisa T. Bergren

Member:krau0098
Title:Torrent: A Novel (River of Time Series)
Authors:Lisa T. Bergren
Info:David C. Cook (2011), Edition: New, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Already Read, Read but unowned
Tags:time travel, young adult, historical fantasy, historical fiction

Torrent by Lisa T. Bergren

A bit silly, but fun and irresistibly entertaining, just like the first two in the series. A nice change from the grim, humourless dystopian fiction that seems to be dominating the YA genre at the moment. Also, two words: LORD GRECO.

I can't wait to read Bourne and Tributary. ( )
  TheEditrix | Jan 13, 2016 |
Review of both Cascade and Torrent together
3.5/5

OK, the good part of this trilogy is that it's fascinating, adventurous, full of extreme danger and often almost miraculous escape from it. River of Time is rush, bold and breathtaking.

On the other hand, as long as you know that this is pretty much a teenage girl's fantasy in la-la land, you are fine.

I can't wrap my head around Gabi's stupidity and lack of instinct of self-preservation. Sure let's sneak out past Marcello's guard and save the world despite him being of this era, knowing all the risks and trying to prevent Gabi from committing a virtual suicide. The girl lacks common sense so much I wanted to smack her and smack her hard. I really don't know how she survived all her trials...

Then comes the matter of Black Death. What on Earth was THAT?! First, Luca contracts it and deteriorates way tooo fast. But wait. Next time we see him, he is miraculously cured. What?! I've no idea what happened, and it irked me to no end.

My issue with this series is that despite it being hugely entertaining, most of the problems Gabi brings on herself trying to play a superhero. Secondly, there is no consideration of the butterfly effect. You know, the whole Bettarini bunch changing the past hugely all the time? Yeah, that one.

My last problem is that most of the situations are repetitions of what already happened. If Waterfall was refreshing and unique, the rest two books were annoying and improbable. Gabi is way far from a Christian ideal. She kills and she maims, but where is her remorse? Where is her PTSD? She is just a teenage girl, but her behaviour is not adequate to what she has to go through.

So, yeah. A great read with lots and lots of flows very much like Steel by Carrie Vaughn which made pirates look like cartoonish version of the real deal.

If you want to read a really good time travel book, I highly recommend The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Summary: Gabi and Lia Betarrini have learned to control their time travel, and they return from medieval Italy to save their father from his tragic death in modern times.
Personal Reaction:This has become one of my favorite series. It was packed full of adventure, romance, and many twists and turns. There was so much conflict and thrilling adventure contained within its pages that it felt like I hardly had a chance to breathe… and I loved every minute of it. It is a true testament to the love of friends and family and faith. The characters are the type of people you admire and who inspire you to be a better person. They are smart, loyal, brave, have strong personalities, morals, and are caring. I also liked that this series was interesting and intriguing without being crude. It was a clean read that I couldn't put down.
Classroom Extension: Would recommend to YA book readers and would have it any MS or HS library. Connect to Black Plague, 1400's, Sienna, etc. ( )
  LorraineAllen | Jan 23, 2015 |
In the midst of the battle, the Betarrini women escape to the Etruscan tombs. They plan to negotiate the time warp to allow them to return to the future to save their father from the accident that killed him. Once they’ve managed to convince him they are not crazy, he enters the tomb with them and they are transported back to medieval times. Read the rest of the review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2014/02/02/torrent-lisa-t-bergren/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
I have been so surprised at how much I loved this series, that it was no question that I would read book 3. I don't normally read historical fiction, but I had heard such positive things about this series and saw it on the shelf at my library, it was like fate, meant to be, because I am so glad to take the trip through time with Gabi and Lia and was excited to find a time in my reading schedule for it.
It is so good to be back in Gabi's head and in the times, and it touched me even more that now they have the whole family. You get a good sense of what has already happened since they are there with their dad, and everything is new to him.
Gabi is amazing and strong as usual, but we get to see even more vulnerability in her in this one. I think that is major character growth because she realizes its okay to ask for help and accept it.
I loved the relationship too between her and her parents in this one. There is this balance of respect, deference, and above all love and wanting the best for each other.
I will say that for a bit I wasn't too pleased about the seeming appearance of a strange love triangle, but eventually I had to accept that it really did strengthen the plot and ultimately show Gabi what her heart truly desired and a means for her safety.
What I longed for even more was the reunion of Marcello and Gabi, as well as Lia and Luka since they have something budding there and I hope it turns into more, but I have to know either way. And boy did I eventually get it. I adore that these two are gentlemen. Yes, I love bad boys as much as the next person, but I also love a man who will put himself out there for their woman, and who will woo her and treat her like a lady.
Tomas was a new favorite in this one, and so glad that I got to meet him. He's an excommunicated priest but given work by Rodolfo, and Tomas and Gabi get to know one another. I admire his faith but also how he took Gabi under his wing and helped her see the truth of some things.
I know there will be a fourth, but am super pleased with the way that this one ended. It somehow gave me all it could in resolution and what I wanted for the characters. I just really hope that in the next one (and yes, super glad that she decided to write it) that the issue of the plague will be further dealt with. It feels like it has been on the back burner simmering for two books and thought that I would see more resolution or that to be the big conflict in this one, but it wasn't.

Bottom Line: Good installment in a fun and fast trip through time. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Jan 20, 2014 |
We’d shaken the dust from the gowns the guys had left the three of us and slipped on our “medieval disguises,” as I called them, but there wasn’t a whole lot we could do for Dad.

When Gabi and Lia finally learn to surf the river of time, they realize they must make hard choices about life and love in the third and last book in the River of Time series.

Gabi and Lia Betarrini have learned to control their time travel, and they return from medieval Italy to save their father from his tragic death in modern times.   But love calls across the centuries, and the girls are determined to return forever—even though they know the Black Plague is advancing across Europe, claiming the lives of one-third of the population. In the suspenseful conclusion of the River of Time series, every decision is about life … and death.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 143476429X, Paperback)

When Gabi and Lia finally learn to surf the river of time, they realize they must make hard choices about life and love in Torrent, the third and final book in the River of Time series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Gabriella and Evangelia Betarrini are just two normal American teenagers. Normal except for the fact that they time travel to fourteenth-century Italy, where they've lived in castles they've seen as crumbling ruins, become swept up in historic battles, and fallen in love with handsome knights willing to do anything to keep them alive. They've returned to the present to save their father, just short of his tragic death, and now all four return to the place that holds the girls' hearts, medieval Italy. But remaining there means facing great risk as the battle for territory wages on and the coming Black Plague looms. Can they convince their parents to stay and leave behind everything they've worked so hard to accomplish? And will the girls sacrifice their futures in an uncertain past? Or in facing death head-on, will they discover life as it was always meant to be lived?… (more)

60 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,488,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible