Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by…

Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman (edition 2012)

by Robert K. Massie

Member:jennks
Title:Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman
Authors:Robert K. Massie
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2012), Paperback, 672 pages

Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie

English (112)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (113)
I can't say that I knew much about Catherine the Great prior to reading this book. The various odds and ends I'd picked up previously were mostly google-eque quips about her purported sexuality. Though standard fare for the woman in power in most eras, I relegated it to the disappointed and bored with pile and moved on. Luckily this book was mentioned in a GoodReads group I belong to and it caught my attention.

I was impressed with Massie's style and even more impressed with Catherine as a ruler and a woman. Massie does a great job of fleshing out the life and times of a smart, courageous, progressive, responsible, and devoted woman that cared for her adopted home with a strength of passion that I found very moving and enlightening as to her personal character.

I have a couple parts I'd like to read over actually and will probably add to my review as I do. ( )
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman ( )
  Calavari | Jun 7, 2016 |
The best kind of biography is extremely well-researched, but written with the storytelling verve of a novel. Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman is that kind of biography. That's not surprising, considering its author is Robert Massie, the superb biographer who wrote "Nicholas and Alexandra" and "Peter the Great." He has a subject who lived a fascinating life - much of which is well known, and much of what is well known is wrong. He writes well about her life after she assumed the throne, but it's her life before that time that I found to be fascinating. When you understand what Catherine endured in her childhood and truly dreadful marriage, much of what she did afterward becomes understandable.

BlueGiraffe | Jun 1, 2016 |
I read Nicholas and Alexandra in the early 70's and was so impressed with Mr Massie's writing and presentation that I signed up for Russian History in high school and college. To be able to read his biography of Catherine the great 45 years later was truly exciting. He allows his readers to get to know
Sophia/Catherine as a person and to understand her thinking and motivations. She was a brilliant forward thinking leader who over came her disfunctional families and tradition and became an enlightened ruler who changed the course of Russian and Eastern European history. ( )
  Joanne53 | May 19, 2016 |
I really, really enjoyed this book and recommend it to absolutely everyone. My only reservation in giving it five stars is that a few points dragged because of editing issues; Massie and his editor(s) should have recognized that there was a good deal of repetition - I would have cut many paragraphs from about the middle of the book on. Still, it was extremely educational and enlightening, particularly I think to a Westerner because we so seldom learn about Russia. ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |
Imperial biographer Robert K. Massie paints a satisfying portrait of Catherine the woman and Catherine the ruler, and her attempts to modernize and westernize Russia.

Robert K. Massieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"the best description of her is that she is a women as well as an empress." - The Earl of Buckinghamshire, British ambassador to Russia, 1762-65
For Deborah.

And for Bob Loomis. Twenty-four years, four books. Thank you.
Prince Christian Augustus of Anhalt-Zerbst was hardly distinguishable in the swarm of obscure, penurious noblemen who cluttered the landscape and society of politically fragmented eighteenth-century German.

The Pulitzer Prize–winning author of Peter the Great, Nicholas and Alexandra, and The Romanovs returns with another masterpiece of narrative biography, the extraordinary story of an obscure young German princess who traveled to Russia at fourteen and rose to become one of the most remarkable, powerful, and captivating women in history.

All the special qualities that Robert K. Massie brought to Nicholas and Alexandra and Peter the Great are present here: historical accuracy, depth of understanding, felicity of style, mastery of detail, ability to shatter myth, and a rare genius for finding and expressing the human drama in extraordinary lives.

History offers few stories richer in drama than that of Catherine the Great. In this book, this eternally fascinating woman is returned to life.

This narrative biography tells the extraordinary story of an obscure young German princess who traveled to Russia at fourteen and rose to become one of the most remarkable, powerful, and captivating women in history. Born into a minor noble family, Catherine transformed herself into Empress of Russia by sheer determination. Possessing a brilliant mind and an insatiable curiosity as a young woman, she devoured the works of Enlightenment philosophers and, when she reached the throne, attempted to use their principles to guide her rule of the vast and backward Russian empire. She knew or corresponded with the preeminent historical figures of her time: Voltaire, Diderot, Frederick the Great, Empress Maria Theresa of Austria, Marie Antoinette, and, surprisingly, the American naval hero, John Paul Jones. Reaching the throne fired by Enlightenment philosophy and determined to become the embodiment of the "benevolent despot" idealized by Montesquieu, she found herself always contending with the deeply ingrained realities of Russian life, including serfdom. She persevered, and for thirty-four years the government, foreign policy, cultural development, and welfare of the Russian people were in her hands. She dealt with domestic rebellion, foreign wars, and the tidal wave of political change and violence churned up by the French Revolution that swept across Europe. Her reputation depended entirely on the perspective of the speaker. She was praised by Voltaire as the equal of the greatest of classical philosophers; she was condemned by her enemies, mostly foreign, as "the Messalina of the north." Catherine's family, friends, ministers, generals, lovers, and enemies, all are here, vividly described. These included her ambitious, perpetually scheming mother; her weak, bullying husband, Peter (who left her lying untouched beside him for nine years after their marriage); her unhappy son and heir, Paul; her beloved grandchildren; and her "favorites", the parade of young men from whom she sought companionship and the recapture of youth as well as sex. Here, too, is the giant figure of Gregory Potemkin, her most significant lover and possible husband, with whom she shared a passionate correspondence of love and separation, followed by seventeen years of unparalleled mutual achievement.… (more)

433 wanted2 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,784,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible