The Snow Queen's Shadow (PRINCESS…

The Snow Queen's Shadow (PRINCESS NOVELS) (edition 2011)

by Jim C. Hines

Member:JessicaABaker
Title:The Snow Queen's Shadow (PRINCESS NOVELS)
Authors:Jim C. Hines
Info:DAW (2011), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****

The Snow Queen's Shadow by Jim C. Hines

English (10)  Swedish (1)  English (11)
This is the fourth, and possibly last, installment in Hines’ Princess series. I have enjoyed all of them and they remain as ‘keepers’ on my shelves of paper books. This one is a little darker than the others are, as some reviewers have pointed out.
I do not personally care for dark fantasy. I prefer more lighthearted, humorous, and satirical works, but the dark aspects in this are not overdone and there is still a hopeful and optimistic mood conveyed by the end of the story. It has a few smiles in it too, such as in the first chapter, in which the princesses are hunting down the witch-hunter, Hansel, who, we are told, first got into the business by stuffing some poor old woman into her own oven.
This is not a classic tragedy of death and failure by any means. However, it does take the reader on an exciting adventure full of soul-searching, discovery and sacrifice, and it has just enough of the old “sword and sorcery” action to keep readers who expect that kind of thing in a fantasy novel happy. I just wanted to mention that in case others were put off by reviews suggesting this is a dark fantasy. It is not.
The princesses are strong characters, likeable and even believable given a certain amount of suspended disbelief. I found myself sympathizing with Snow in her conflict with the demon that possesses her through her mother’s mirror, and I appreciated the intelligence Hines shows in her efforts to defeat it. But to say more on that would require spoilers.
I would recommend this book to those who appreciate positive fiction with admirable characters pursuing noble causes. You will find this installment of the Princess Novels more satisfying though if you read the others (in order) first.
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
A feminist retelling of the traditional Fairy Tales gone a little too far for my taste.

In the traditional tales, the princes handle all the action. In Jim C. Hines it is the princesses the ones that get things done, while the only prince left sits at home.

This is the only book in the series I've read and considering other people's reviews I may still pick up the first one to see if it is better as they claim.

For my full review, please, go to:

http://www.myshelf.com/scifi_fantasy/11/snowqueensshadow.htm ( )
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
The Snow Queen's Shadow, by Jim C. Hines
★★★☆☆

Synopsis: A broken mirror. A stolen child. A final mission to try to stop an enemy they never dreamed they would face.
When a spell gone wrong shatters Snow White’s enchanted mirror, a demon escapes into the world. The demon’s magic distorts the vision of all it touches, showing them only ugliness and hate. It is a power which turns even friends and lovers into mortal foes, one which will threaten humans and fairies alike.
And the first to fall under the demon’s power is the princess Snow White.
In A Sentence: Out of the entire series, this is the darkest novel, and the best written.
What I Liked: This one was a retelling of "The Snow Queen", which was interesting by itself. It also was pretty dark in comparison to the rest of the series. The writing was better this time, much better than the previous ones. The action was also pretty good in this story, with a reasonable pace that makes you want to continue reading.
Why It's Still Only Three Stars: I still can't really enjoy this series. While you start caring for the characters more in this book than in the previous ones, I still couldn't fall in love with the story. It's a good action book, but not an excellent piece of literature.
In A Nutshell: I thought this was a good conclusion to a decent series. If you like fairy tale re-tellings, action novels, or novels with strong female characters, then you might like this series. I think the first and last books are the best out of the four. They're enjoyable, quick reads, with a little bit of everything. You might not fall in love with the books, but you'll still have fun with them. ( )
  Spirolim | Jan 13, 2016 |
Well, it did well wrapping up the story--not necessarily what was expected but in hindsight could not have imagined a better ending. A bit grim and longwinding in the middle in a way that definitely did make me think of the traditional Snow Queen folklore. Torn between 3 and 4 stars. True to the characters and the world building. Interesting twists on fairy bargains of course. The last, at least for now, book in this series per author blogs. Although a hint (only a very slight spoiler) of door left open at the end with Danielle offering up a new mission to Gerta and Talia just like Bertrice would have done. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
Wonderful, bittersweet ending to a fun, fantastic series. Full of fights, magic, sadness, and dangerous deals with faeries, The Snow Queen's Shadow satisfactorily ends the Princesses series... well, not satisfactorily - I want more Princesses stories!
  kevbayer | Jun 20, 2014 |
Hines fills this volume with heart-wrenching emotional scenes as well as exciting fight sequences, and brings each heroine's story arc to a reasonable conclusion. There's plenty of room for readers to imagine further adventures, but the series feels satisfyingly complete.
added by nsblumenfeld | editPublishers Weekly (May 30, 2011)

Jim C. Hinesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fischer, Scott M.Cover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756406749, Mass Market Paperback)

When a spell gone wrong shatters Snow White's enchanted mirror, a demon escapes into the world. The demon's magic distorts the vision of all it touches, showing them only ugliness and hate. It is a power that turns even friends and lovers into mortal foes, one that will threaten humans and fairies alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:15 -0400)

When Snow White's enchanted mirror is shattered by a spell gone wrong, unleashing a demon that shows people only ugliness and hate, Snow White becomes the first person to fall under the demon's power.

Jim C. Hines is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,729,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible