The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

The Book of Lost Things (original 2006; edition 2011)

by John Connolly

4,6122581,035 (3.99)1 / 416
Member:kjwernz
Title:The Book of Lost Things
Authors:John Connolly
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (2006)

English (252)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  French (2)  All languages (258)
I really liked this book. I have a soft spot for fairy tales and darker twists. The strange interweaving between the magical world and the real world was fascinating. I loved how the books seemed to whisper and mumble and talk to David, but no one else seemed to hear. Was it real? Was it imagined? Was it a medical condition? It remains a mystery. And I think it's absolutely perfect like that.

I liked the stories within the story, especially because there was always a twist.

The characters were really quite lovely. How David responded to Rose, and the relationships between the characters. Little details, like how David commented to his father that Rose gained weight, and the father told him to never, ever say that out loud. How things come out of David's mouth that sounds rude, but isn't what he intended. Little things. I could imagine it all playing out. Connolly said that this is a fairy tale book for adults, and I think it is true.

The ending was really freaking great because I honestly didn't know who the Crooked Man was until his name almost slipped out. The king was obvious, but the revelations of the end made me gasp and keep turning the pages. The reason why he was there, the reason for needing Georgie's name, the introduction of Anna. It was right. It fit.

I read the afterword by Connolly and I almost wish I didn't. He wrote about themes and symbolism, and then the book seemed more like an English assignment than a book I wanted to read. But whatever, that's beyond the realm of the book.

Four stars because I really liked this book. I really hope it's not a one-time-read, because if later I try to read it and I don't like it as much, I might drop it down to a 3.5. But right now, it's a solid 4 stars.
Recommended for those who love adult fairy tales. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Recommended for those who love adult fairy tales. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
The Book of Lost Things is an incredibly well written, adult dark fantasy book. I couldn’t believe how captivating his writing was. Some of what he wrote is very memorable.

Connolly includes many different themes in his story such as death, the importance of love, the power of stories, and coming of age.

His characters are well developed, detailed, and personable. The main character may remind you of yourself, and you may have many different emotions towards his characters. Some are sweet and innocent,while others are dark and creepy.

John Connolly writes a fairly original story. His story reminds me of both Alice in Wonderland and Pan’s Labyrinth with many of his characters coming from Brother’s Grimm fairy tales, but with a twist. Even though this may make it seem unoriginal the actual storytelling is.

I have never encountered a story more interesting and emotionally moving as this one. The most interesting aspect of his story is that he took a different perspective on fairy tales. What you think about your favorite fairy tale characters may be completely opposite in Connolly’s world. The story is also violent and dark, which may bother some people. It is definitely not for children or the faint of heart. However, aspects of the story are also funny!

I did not find his book to be very predictable, which kept me interesting throughout the story. I can say that the ending was surprising and emotionally moving! ( )
  AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |
This book is brilliant! Made me fall in love with modern day fairy tales. This was the first book of Connolly's that I read and it inspired me to seek out more of his work. Right up there with Gaiman in story-telling. A must-read! ( )
  pennylane78 | Sep 6, 2014 |
LIBRARIANS TAKE NOTE: this is not a Middle Grade fantasy book, regardless of how it is advertised by the publishers, who are clearly trying to capitalize on the popularity of that genre post-Harry Potter. Here I quote from the inside back cover of the paperback edition: "He [Connolly] was a recipient of the 2007 Alex Award, which honors ten adult books per year that appeal to teen readers, for The Book of Lost Things." Even though the protagonist appears to be ten or eleven, and I found this book in the middle grade section of my library, both the tone and the content are aimed at a much older audience. That being said, it is a compelling, inventive, and well written fantasy. I can imagine that there would be a strong teen audience for this book. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Sep 5, 2014 |
In addition to borrowing The Woodsman and Roland from ancient tales, Connolly brings in such bedtime-story stalwarts as Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Hansel and Gretel, and Little Red Riding Hood. But he takes outrageous, albeit entertaining, liberties with these characters, exchanging their virtues for canyon-size failures of character.
added by Stir | editUSA Today, Susan Kelly (Dec 20, 2006)

This is an adult novel steeped in children's literature that cannily makes its 1940s junior protagonist credibly ignorant of aspects which the grown-up reader, or any modern kid, will catch at once.

Written in the clear, evocative manner of the best British fairy tales from JM Barrie to CS Lewis, The Book of Lost Things is an engaging, magical, thoughtful read.
added by Stir | editThe Independent, Kim Newman (Sep 25, 2006)

Good ideas, these afterthoughts, every one; but rather than go back and write them in, he sticks them down in the pluperfect and hurries on. The result is less a novel in any genre than a catalogue, a dispiritingly detailed outline for something Connolly might like to write, if he only had the time, or the talent, or a decent editor.
added by Stir | editThe Guardian, Colin Greenland (Sep 22, 2006)

Connolly, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bortolussi, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ryan, RobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deeper meaning resides in the fairy tales told to me in my childhood than in the truth that is taught by life. - Friedrich Schiller (1759-1805)
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)
This book is dedicated to an adult, Jennifer Ridyard, and to Cameron and Alistair Ridyard, who will be adults too soon. For in every adult dwells the child that was, and in every child lies the adult that will be.
Once upon a time—for that is how all stories should begin—there was a boy who lost his mother.
He would talk to them of stories and books, and explain to them how stories wanted to be told and books wanted to be read, and how everything that they ever needed to know about life and the land of which he wrote, or about any land or realm that they could imagine, was contained in books. And some of the children understood, and some did not.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074329890X, Paperback)

High in his attic bedroom, twelve-year-old David mourns the death of his mother, with only the books on his shelf for company. But those books have begun to whisper to him in the darkness. Angry and alone, he takes refuge in his imagination and soon finds that reality and fantasy have begun to meld. While his family falls apart around him, David is violently propelled into a world that is a strange reflection of his own -- populated by heroes and monsters and ruled by a faded king who keeps his secrets in a mysterious book, The Book of Lost Things.

Taking readers on a vivid journey through the loss of innocence into adulthood and beyond, New York Times bestselling author John Connolly tells a dark and compelling tale that reminds us of the enduring power of stories in our lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:00 -0400)

Taking refuge in fairy tales after the loss of his mother, twelve-year-old David finds himself violently propelled into an imaginary land in which the boundaries of fantasy and reality are disturbingly melded.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,339,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible