The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

The Book of Lost Things (original 2006; edition 2011)

by John Connolly

4,5462511,055 (3.99)1 / 410
Member:ryvre
Title:The Book of Lost Things
Authors:John Connolly
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:fiction, spec fic, fantasy, 2012

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (2006)

English (245)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  French (2)  All languages (251)
Too grim for my taste, though well written. ( )
  navelos | Jul 24, 2014 |
I wish I could put into words how great this book is, but I can't. It's the sort of book that lives inside you long after you finish. I was happy to reach the end, to see how John Connolly pulled everything together, but so very sorry to finish it.

This is an awesome book and I rank it up there with Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter series. ( )
  pmackey | Apr 20, 2014 |
This book was my first encounter with author John Connolly, and I have to say that I really captivated me throughout the story. It was darker than I expected it to be, which was awesome, and the details and way that Connolly wove the story together was just fantastic. This is the kind of book I'll read over and over, and recommend to people, even if they don't have the exact same reading interests that I do. I just can't say enough how much I loved Connolly's take on these fairy tales, and the way the boy makes his way through the story, the twisted maze of landscape and decisions leading him to his final destination. It's almost harrowing, and certainly emotionally resonant for adults. ( )
1 vote morgtini | Feb 25, 2014 |
What a delightful book! I thoroughly enjoyed the story of David and his adventures, and was pleasantly surprised by the huge amount of supplemental material at the end of the book.

At first, David's story reminded me a bit of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: a child who is moved to the country during the Blitzkrieg, who is missing an absent parent, and who discovers a portal to another world. But the tale of David's adventures is certainly not a Christian allegory (it actually tends to have a rather atheistic bent) and follows pretty closely the formula of a heroic quest. David must make his way through this strange new land to seek the king and his Book of Lost Things in hopes of finding a way back to the "real" world. He encounters fairy tale characters and mythological monsters, as well as kind mentors, and ultimately grows and learns.

I was puzzled when the story ended on page 348 of the 500-page book, but delighted to find the extensive supplemental material provided in the remaining 150 pages. The author discusses the legends and fairy tales that appear in David's story and gives his thoughts on their importance to the story of the Book of Lost Things, and then provides the full text of at least one version of each story (most often the Brothers Grimm version). This was lots of fun and even exposed me to a story or two I had never heard. This information enhanced my appreciation for the richness of the novel and its symbolism and gave me some insight into the author's purpose in all the plot details.

The writing is beautiful and evokes a love of reading and books, as well as the feeling of those old fairy tales. I highly recommend this book to lovers of fantasy and fairy tales. ( )
1 vote glade1 | Feb 17, 2014 |
A compelling and emotional story, but a bit predictable. I figured out the state of the narrator quite quickly, but it didn't detract from the sentiment and quality of the story. ( )
1 vote moose42 | Dec 13, 2013 |
In addition to borrowing The Woodsman and Roland from ancient tales, Connolly brings in such bedtime-story stalwarts as Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Hansel and Gretel, and Little Red Riding Hood. But he takes outrageous, albeit entertaining, liberties with these characters, exchanging their virtues for canyon-size failures of character.
added by Stir | editUSA Today, Susan Kelly (Dec 20, 2006)

This is an adult novel steeped in children's literature that cannily makes its 1940s junior protagonist credibly ignorant of aspects which the grown-up reader, or any modern kid, will catch at once.

Written in the clear, evocative manner of the best British fairy tales from JM Barrie to CS Lewis, The Book of Lost Things is an engaging, magical, thoughtful read.
added by Stir | editThe Independent, Kim Newman (Sep 25, 2006)

Good ideas, these afterthoughts, every one; but rather than go back and write them in, he sticks them down in the pluperfect and hurries on. The result is less a novel in any genre than a catalogue, a dispiritingly detailed outline for something Connolly might like to write, if he only had the time, or the talent, or a decent editor.
added by Stir | editThe Guardian, Colin Greenland (Sep 22, 2006)

Connolly, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bortolussi, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ryan, RobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deeper meaning resides in the fairy tales told to me in my childhood than in the truth that is taught by life. - Friedrich Schiller (1759-1805)
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)
This book is dedicated to an adult, Jennifer Ridyard, and to Cameron and Alistair Ridyard, who will be adults too soon. For in every adult dwells the child that was, and in every child lies the adult that will be.
Once upon a time—for that is how all stories should begin—there was a boy who lost his mother.
He would talk to them of stories and books, and explain to them how stories wanted to be told and books wanted to be read, and how everything that they ever needed to know about life and the land of which he wrote, or about any land or realm that they could imagine, was contained in books. And some of the children understood, and some did not.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074329890X, Paperback)

High in his attic bedroom, twelve-year-old David mourns the death of his mother, with only the books on his shelf for company. But those books have begun to whisper to him in the darkness. Angry and alone, he takes refuge in his imagination and soon finds that reality and fantasy have begun to meld. While his family falls apart around him, David is violently propelled into a world that is a strange reflection of his own -- populated by heroes and monsters and ruled by a faded king who keeps his secrets in a mysterious book, The Book of Lost Things.

Taking readers on a vivid journey through the loss of innocence into adulthood and beyond, New York Times bestselling author John Connolly tells a dark and compelling tale that reminds us of the enduring power of stories in our lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:00 -0400)

Taking refuge in fairy tales after the loss of his mother, twelve-year-old David finds himself violently propelled into an imaginary land in which the boundaries of fantasy and reality are disturbingly melded.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible