The Drop by Michael Connelly

The Drop (edition 2011)

by Michael Connelly, Len Cariou (Reader)

Member:gypsysmom
Title:The Drop
Authors:Michael Connelly
Other authors:Len Cariou (Reader)
Info:Little, Brown & Company (2011), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:audiobook, cold cases, high jingo

The Drop by Michael Connelly

English (70)  German (1)  All (71)
This was a book choice for our mystery book club. It was the first of the Harry Bosch series that I have read although I had read and enjoyed the Lincoln Lawyer by the same author. I didn't feel that I missed anything by not having read the first 16 books in the series but it did pique my interest in starting at the beginning of the series. The character development and the plot in The Drop were well executed. The dialog seemed genuine and made the book a smooth read. Liked the somewhat unexpected ending. ( )
  borealis07 | Jul 8, 2017 |
This is the first Dennis Lehane book I read that doesn't star Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro. The Drop is based on a novella called Animal Rescue that was turned into the movie The Drop which Lehane wrote the script for and then turned into this book.

All and all was this a good book. Bob is an ordinary guy, a bit too ordinary for my liking I thought when I read the book. He works at the bar, goes to church every Sunday, but it was finding the puppy that really changed his life, made him suddenly snap out of his monotone life. I mistook him throughout the book for being a too soft guy, but then the ending come and then I realized that the person you should be worried about was not Eric Deeds, the psycho who claimed to own the puppy, but Bob, the kind, and shy bartender...

So this book gets 3.5 stars. It was not as good as other Lehane books I have read, and it would have been just 3 stars if not Lehane had turned the table and made the ending quite spectacular.

(I love Tom Hardy with the puppy so just one more pic) ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
Typical Bosch. Fast moving, well written, great characterization....................maybe just a little fantastical for a police procedural for me. ( )
  malcrf | Feb 6, 2017 |
I think this is the first Harry Bosch novel that I have read. I probably will look to read more books in this series. It did have a lot of turns and twists – – sometimes it was hard to distinguish between the good guys ( and gals) from the bad ones. Bosch is an interesting character--" Dirty Harry" without the guns and violence and a bit more cerebral in his approach. His character has a bit of history attached to it so I will take a look at earlier books in the series. ( )
  writemoves | Jan 30, 2017 |
Another awesome Bosch

Connelly does a great job developing believable characters. He totally nails the tension between police administrators and the cops who do the real work. ( )
  harrywhoover | Dec 27, 2016 |
No readers of Michael Connelly’s Harry Bosch novels doubts Bosch’s superiority as an LAPD homicide investigator. Where we’ve questioned Bosch over the years has been in the rest of his life roles. As a father, husband, friend and boyfriend, he has frequently revealed himself as a bust in the previous 14 Bosch books. But that perception changes with the new book. In The Drop, Bosch emerges as a freshly mature fellow.

It’s his 15-year-old daughter who seems to have made the difference (though some might say of Bosch, who is approaching 60, what took him so long to grow up?). Maddie moved in with Bosch two years ago after her mother was killed in Nine Dragons (2009). Bosch has turned into an alert and nervous father, constantly on the phone to his daughter. For her part, the kid is a gem. She’s far more technologically adept than her father and helps him past tricky computer problems. Her influence works further on him in ways she might not suspect; it’s her mere presence that keeps Bosch from drinking at home and influences him to settle for a glass or two of wine everywhere else.

At LA’s new Police Administration Building, Bosch works with the unit handling cold cases, and as The Drop opens, he and his partner are assigned to a 1989 rape-murder case that comes to life with a curious new clue. Ordinarily, this case, with much promise of twists and turns to come, would be enough to fill a satisfying Bosch book. But, still in the opening pages of the new novel, Bosch gets orders from the chief of police to add a second, non-cold case to his list.

The case’s crime, as hot as the day’s headlines, involves a prominent LA businessman who either jumped or was shoved from the Chateau Marmont’s penthouse. Worse news for Bosch is that the deceased’s father is Bosch’s mortal enemy, former LAPD deputy chief Irvin Irving. The situation places Harry in the awkward middle of a piece of “high jingo,” his phrase for dirty police politics.

Moving through this intense double story, Michael Connelly is at the top of his game. So is Bosch. So, for that matter, is Maddie.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 14, 2012)

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chaussepied, JacquesNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pépin, RobertTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is for Rick, Tim and Jay, who know what Harry Bosch knows.
Christmas came once a month in the Open-Unsolved Unit.

Harry Bosch is facing the end of the line. He's been put on the DROP - the Deferred Retirement Option Plan - and given three years before he must retire from the LAPD. Seeing the end of the mission coming, Bosch wants cases more fiercely than ever, and in one morning he gets two.

First, DNA from a 1989 rape and murder matches that of a twenty-nine-year-old convicted rapist. Was he involved in the crime when he was only eight, or has something gone terribly wrong in the new Regional Crime Lab? The latter possibility could compromise all of the lab's DNA cases currently in court.

Then Bosch and his partner are called by the chief of police himself to a death scene fraught with internal politics. The son of Councilman Irvin Irving jumped or was dropped from a window at the glamorous Chateau Marmont. Irving, Harry's longtime nemesis, now demands that no one but Bosch handle the investigation.

Relentlessly pursuing both cases, Bosch makes two chilling discoveries: a sadistic killer operating unknown in the city for more than two decades, and a political conspiracy going back into the dark history of the police department.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316069418, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, December 2011: With his retirement looming, LAPD's Hieronymus "Harry" Bosch takes on two seemingly unrelated cases. The first is a botched DNA test from a 1989 rape and murder, which has been pinned on a convicted rapist who was only eight years old at the time of the crime. Harry's pursuit of that case is interrupted by the apparent suicide of a councilman's son. A former police chief and no fan of Harry's, the councilman insists that Harry investigate his son's death. In pursuit of the truth, and an elusive killer, Bosch and his partner uncover secrets and a political conspiracy deep within the police department. Connelly's aging hero is a flawed, haunted, and unforgettable character; his creator is a master craftsman. --Neal Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:11 -0400)

Detective Harry Bosch investigates a cold case and the murder of a city councilman's son. The cases are unrelated but they twist around each other like the double helix of a DNA strand. One leads to the discovery of a killer operating in the city for as many as three decades; the other to a deep political conspiracy that reached back into the dark history of the police department.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,082,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible