Sacred Sins by Nora Roberts

Sacred Sins

by Nora Roberts

Recently added byBrownvilleLibrary, private library, Theadora78, atcolorado, vrullan

English (10)  French (1)  All languages (11)
Good not great. Fairly typical contemporary romance. One of my favorites because of the characters. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |
This is one of Roberts' less recent works, probably re-packaged and re-published after she got more prolific. I always enjoy her writing, but I had a difficult time buying the chemistry in this one. Rich, but not snobby, psychiatrist Dr. Tess Court is asked by her senator grandfather to consult with the police on a serial killer. Ben Paris is the police detective who falls for her. Tess cares a little bit more about her clients than is probably healthy (professional boundaries, anyone?) and even wants to treat the killer once he is caught. Ben's pretty high-handed in his treatment of Tess, but considering the publication date, that's not too out of the ordinary. What really irritated me was the ending. The killer was completely implausible. Quite a disappointment from a usually very reliable author.
Fortunately, this book is followed by Brazen Virtue, which I really enjoyed as Ben's partner Ed (not a typical romance hero type) gets to star in his own tale. ( )
  EmScape | Jul 13, 2013 |
A psychiatrist Dr. Tess Court and a Dectective Ben Paris jion forcess to hunt down a serial killer that is killing women. I really like this story. ( )
  jbemrose | Jan 4, 2013 |
Oh dear. This was my first Nora Roberts book and it will be my last. I found the plot rather thin, the characters had no depth and the budding romance rather cringeworthy. The details regarding police work and psychology were rather thin on the ground- this was a poorly researched book. All in all, it was very tedious and I am surprised Nora Roberts sells so many books! ( )
  martensgirl | Dec 18, 2012 |
Tess's bleeding heart-ness made me want to *smack* her upside the head. I suspect, though, that Nora just didn't get the balance quite right for me--I think she took it for granted that we'd realize Tess cared about the victims, but it wasn't that evident to me. ( )
  Darla | Dec 12, 2008 |

Some sins are unforgivable...

There's no escaping the sizzling heat of the Washington summer... or the twisted ministry of "The Priest", a madman who is strangling slender, pretty blondes with the white silk scarf of a priest, leaving notes that forgive his victims.

When the mayor of Washington, D.C. asks renowned psychologist Tess Court to work in conjunction with the police to profile of The Priest, she has no idea what she's getting into. This relentless psychopath believes he is saving the souls of the young pretty blondes he strangles with the white silk stole worn by true men of the cloth. But Tess knows otherwise: this is the work of a madman bent on spreading a twisted ministry of violence.

Ben Paris, is the handsome and magnetic police sergeant in charge of the investigation. With his aid, Tess hopes to track down The Priest before he causes more harm. But any professional distance between her and Ben quickly disappears as their attraction grows. But it's the flame of white-hot passion that is giving Tess and Ben real trouble-two professionals who can't quite keep a professional distance from each other. It's a distraction the pair can ill afford.

Ben is unable to resist Tess-pretty, slender, and blonde. But someone else has his eyes on her... someone who dreams of saving her, of cleansing her soul with his special brand of absolution in the hot, still night. She has become the very next target of the killer they seek.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553265741, Mass Market Paperback)

For those of you who can't get enough Nora Roberts, Roberts has dusted off this romance thriller from the early '80s, slapped a new cover on it, and republished it. After so many years, Sacred Sins may feel a bit musty, but those readers just looking for a good time won't mind some outdated attitudes or references when the timeless suspense and romance keep them flipping the pages.

With the talents that later led her to create her J.D. Robb line of In Death romance thrillers, Roberts uses an "opposites attract" theory of appeal between her lovers and firmly places her heroine in the killer's sights. Dr. Tess Court is a successful psychiatrist who is guilted by her senator grandfather into advising on a serial murder case. Detective Ben Paris hasn't much respect for shrinks after his brother's unsuccessful treatment for post-war depression. However, forces align to put these two together and things turn hot and heavy. As they work to uncover the murderer's motives, Tess and Ben realize that she is both the killer's next likely victim and his best hope for a savior.

Tess has all the spunk and determination of a typical Roberts heroine with a great wardrobe and elegant tastes to boot. Though the killer's motivations remain somewhat simple, he is convincingly creepy, and this thriller will satisfy loyal fans and new readers alike. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:55 -0400)

Psychologist Tess Court is asked to help profile a killer known as the Priest, who believes he is saving the souls of the young blondes he strangles. Tess knows otherwise and, as a blonde, becomes the next target of the killer she seeks.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,256,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible