Amulet, Book Four: The Last Council by Kazu…

Amulet, Book Four: The Last Council

by Kazu Kibuishi

Series: Amulet (4)

The story of the cloud city of Cielis, reached by airship, is reminiscent of Miyazaki's 1986 animated film Laputa: Castle in the Sky (天空の城ラピュタ).
  rakerman | May 15, 2016 |
To date I have enjoyed all of the books in the "Amulet" series. That being said this was my least favorite of the series thus far, but it was largely because it felt like a retread of other fantasy stories. I don't want to go too deep into plot here, but I have seen the premise of this particular book done better in other places, such as a major villain in "Star Wars". Here it is a bit wider than that, but it is still the same retreaded story. I woudl have liked to see this go into newer territory or be a bit more interesting. I still, however, have to state that overall this series has been very rewarding in several senses. The amulet aspect of the story is still fresh and interesting. I also find that the style chosen by Kazu Kibuishi for the characters to help keep a whimsical and child-like nature to the overall stories. THis helps to keep the story grounded and also to not be too scary for the intended more child audience. I appreciate what he is doing, but I hope the next book moves back to the focus of the amulet instead of what I consider a side story that drew away from the interesting aspects of the first three graphic novel collections. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
This was the darkest volume so far, but this also felt like the most natural conclusion of all of the volumes I read. I think I would have been happier if the first four books had been one book. It was nice to finally see Emily's mother realize the truth of their situation and stop trying to be such a parent all the time. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0545208874, Paperback)

Kazu Kibuishi's thrilling, NEW YORK TIMES bestselling series continues!

Emily and her friends think they'll find the help they need in Cielis, but something isn't right. Streets that were once busy are deserted, and the townspeople who are left live in crippling fear. Emily is escorted to the Academy where she's expected to compete for a spot on the Guardian Council, the most powerful Stonekeepers. But as the number of competitors gets smaller and smaller, a terrible secret is slowly uncovered--a secret that, if left buried, means certain destruction of everything Emily fights for.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

Emily and her friends think they'll find the help they need in Cielis, but something isn't right. Streets that were once busy are deserted, and the townspeople who are left live in fear. Emily is soon escorted to the Academy where she's expected to compete for a spot on the Guardian Council, a group of the the most powerful Stonekeepers. But as the number of competitors gets smaller and smaller, a terrible secret is slowly uncovered--a secret that, if left buried, means certain destruction of everything Emily fights for.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,885,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible