An Inspector Calls (Heinemann Plays For…

An Inspector Calls (Heinemann Plays For 14-16 ) (original 1945; edition 1992)

by J.B. Priestley, Tim Bezant (Introduction)

Title:An Inspector Calls (Heinemann Plays For 14-16 )
Authors:J.B. Priestley
Other authors:Tim Bezant (Introduction)
Info:Heinemann (1992), Paperback, 81 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

An Inspector Calls by J. B. Priestley (1945)

English (9)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (11)
Review to come. ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
3 Acts
  kutheatre | Jun 7, 2015 |
I saw this performed some years ago with Julian Glover playing Arthur Birling. Star Wars fans will know who I mean. For everyone else, he's the man who chooses poorly at the end of Indiana Jones. At the start you watched the family at the table through the windows of their house and when the Inspector arrived the whole set opened out.

For everything that you lose through just reading the script, you gain in the time you have to pause and consider the implications of what's going on. This is not a play beloved of the Tories. It's about guilt and responsibility. According to the introduction, critics at the time were confused as to exactly what the Inspector was. They haven't been reading their Aeschylus. He is The Furies, displaced in time. Anachronistic it may be, but you'll notice the play obeys dramatic unity. ( )
  Lukerik | May 15, 2015 |
Great social comment with a twist at the end. ( )
1 vote bullfinch | Mar 14, 2015 |
An Inspector Calls was not something I had to read in high school or college. Indeed, when I was browsing the children's/young adult audio books section at my local library I wondered why there would be a SmartPass edition of what I assumed would be a British mystery.

The social and historical background information, as well as the short biography of the author, was welcome (even if the dialogue between the 'PassMaster' and 'Will' sometimes made me roll my eyes). I thought the definition given for 'ghoul' was too simplistic, but it did for the purpose of the play.

As for the play itself, I wish I could say that its message is not as relevant today as when it was written. Certainly the Inspector's warning can be seen played out on the nightly news. What happens next is left to our imaginations, but I rather enjoyed imagining some of it. This is a full-cast audio book. I definitely recommend it.

If you would prefer to hear the play by itself first, skip ahead to CD four.

For the curious, Ms. Bowes played Sheila, Mr. Crowe played Priestly, Ms. Gallimore played Mrs. Birling, Mr. Hardiman played Mr. Birling, Mr. Kelham played Eric, Mr. Lindford played Gerald, Mr. Hawksworth played Will, Mr. Thorpe played the Inspector, and Ms. Walker played the PassMaster. ( )
  JalenV | Aug 20, 2014 |

Thorpe, Davidcast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viner, JoolsProducersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viner, PhilDirector & cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, Joancast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A new BBC Radio production of J. B. Priestley's famous play, considered to be a classic of 20th-century theatre. The Birling family are spending a happy evening celebrating the engagement of Sheila Birling to Gerald Croft - a marriage that will result in the merging of two successful local businesses. Yet, just when everything seems to be going so well, they receive a surprise visit from an Inspector Goole who is investigating the suicide of a young girl. As the Inspector reveals more about the circumstances that led to the death of Eva Smith, each member of the family comes under the spotlight, and questions of guilt and responsibility are raised...… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible