Zero Day by David Baldacci

Zero Day (2011)

by David Baldacci

English (41)  Dutch (1)  All languages (42)
Baldacci has taken one of the most terrifying possibilities and brought it to us in a scary way. It's a suspense filled story with clean dialogue and well written characters. The situations may be borderline unbelievable, but that's what makes it good. This novel is a fast-paced and reads rather quickly. Zero Day was intriguing enough to make me watch out for the next one ( )
  buffalogr | Aug 24, 2015 |
John Puller is Mr. Baldacci’s newest hero. A veteran of combat now working for government special investigations, John is a man with special talents but also a man with a past. Coming to a remote coal mining town in rural West Virginia John joins forces with local law enforcement to investigate the brutal murder of an entire family. Obvious by his presence, this in no ordinary murder investigation and things quickly spiral towards thriller conspiracy status.

We learn in the first chapter that John has a brother in prison for treason and a war hero father, but those facts are just a tease in this book. It is fairly obvious there are more John Puller books to come. Zero Day was intriguing enough to make me watch out for the release of the next one.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
John Puller is a combat veteran and the best military investigator in the U.S. Army's Criminal Investigation Division. Now, Puller is called out on a case in a remote, rural area in West Virginia coal country far from any military outpost. Someone has stumbled onto a brutal crime scene, a family slaughtered. Facing a potential conspiracy that reaches far beyond the hills of West Virginia, he is one man on the hunt for justice against an overwhelming force.

Very suspenseful. Keeps you guessing until the last chapter. John Puller is a great character - a mix of flawed and compassionate; macho, but not handsome necessarily. Very realistic. There is a potential love interest and some sexual tension, a local police officer who helps him solve the case, but the relationship is a minor part of the book. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series. ( )
  lrobe190 | Mar 20, 2015 |
First Baldacci for me. Recommended by a co-worker. Glad I read it and will put John Puller books in my wishlist. For me I want this type of fiction to entertain me, but not insult my intelligence. Baldacci delivers. We all have to suspend disbelief with fiction, but just how far. ( )
  DCavin | Jan 9, 2015 |
Have read of few of Baldacci’s books and I liked The Forgotten (#2 Puller) better than (#1 Puller) Zero Day. I listed to both on audio and enjoy sound effects and the narrators Ron McLarty and Orlagh Cassidy made the novel very interesting.

Again war hero, John Puller is the top investigator in the US Army CID. As in Forgotten he is called to work the case after someone is brutally murdered in a remote area of West Virginia. As usual, upon his investigation, there is more than meets the eye and teams up with local homicide detective Sam Cole. There are secrets of the past and deceit surfaces. Without giving up the ending-- A shocking conclusion of family and justice and how to make things right – A fast-paced book with battles between good and evil.
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
The book, which debuted earlier this month, is now number one on the New York Times best sellers list.

It introduces former Army Ranger John Puller, now the “best military investigator in the U.S. Army’s Criminal Investigative Division,” who is assigned to solve the particularly brutal murder of Army Colonel Matthew Reynolds and his family in a small West Virginia mining town.

Baldacci said he based his hero on CID agents he’s known – agents who are called in when a crime involving the military happens in a civilian environment.

“These guys tend to be very tenacious,” the author said. “I became interested in how the military would work in the civilian justice sector. The American people see a lot about the military soldiers and the Pentagon and the war. I wanted to take a soldier who had seen all that war and bring him back to work on domestic ground.”

Puller is a haunted man. A career Army veteran, he’s lost men in Afghanisitan, driving him close to the edge.

“As horrific as the murders of the Army officer and his family were, they couldn’t come close to what Puller’s seen in battle,” Baldacci explained. “He’s got a laser beam focus. When he misses something, people die. He can’t accept that. If he becomes unfocused, the edges would start to swallow him. He can’t allow that to happen. He’s like a machine in some ways, but right now, that’s the only way he can survive.”

Creating a new character has its own challenges.

“I really tried to focus on making John Puller the kind of guy who’s going to lead you through a story,” he said. “He doesn’t care about upsetting superiors or getting local cops mad at him. He needs to find out who killed these people.”

Puller’s father is a military hero. His brother, also an officer, is locked up for treason.

“For a military person, that’s an extraordinary amount of baggage – a legend on one side, a traitor on the other,” Baldacci said. “Having a father who was a major general is not always a good thing.”

Puller, however, decided to build a career in the Army. He didn’t attend West Point like his father and brother. He’s made his own way, on his own terms.

There are more John Puller books planned.

“This was the first book I’ve written where I sat down and knew this was going to be a series,” said Baldacci, whose book sales have reached over 110 million. “We’re sending it [‘Zero Day’] out to Hollywood this week. We’ll see what happens.”

To the memory of my mother
And to Charles "Chuck" Betack, my friend
The cloud of coal dust driven deeply into his lungs nearly caused Howard Reed to pull his mail truck off the road and throw up onto the stunted, burnt grass.

Zero Day is where it all begins....

John Puller is a combat veteran and the best military investigator in the U.S. Army's Criminal Investigation Division. His father was an Army fighting legend, and his brother is serving a life sentence for treason in a federal military prison. Puller has an indomitable spirit and an unstoppable drive to find the truth.

Now, Puller is called out on a case in a remote, rural area in West Virginia coal country far from any military outpost. Someone has stumbled onto a brutal crime scene, a family slaughtered. The local homicide detective, a headstrong woman with personal demons of her own, joins forces with Puller in the investigation. As Puller digs through deception after deception, he realizes that absolutely nothing he's seen in this small town, and no one in it, are what they seem. Facing a potential conspiracy that reaches far beyond the hills of West Virginia, he is one man on the hunt for justice against an overwhelming force.

Combat veteran John Puller, now working as an investigator for the Army's Criminal Investigative Division, tries to solve the murder of an Army man and his Pentagon contractor wife in their isolated rural home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,063,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible