City of the Gods: Forgotten by M.Scott Verne

City of the Gods: Forgotten

by M.Scott Verne

411,664,912NoneNone
Babylonian (1) ebook (1) Egyptian (1) fantasy (2) gods (1) Greek (1) Kindle (1) mystery (1) mythology (2) paperback (1)
    Mythic Tales: City of the Gods Vol 1 by M.Scott Verne (MScottVerne)
    MScottVerne: This book is part of the City of the Gods Universe. So if you liked this book, you're bound to enjoy the rest.

Not really fair for me to review it as I am the author, but we've really gotten some great reviews.
  MScottVerne | Jul 15, 2011 |
City of the Gods: Forgotten
By M. Scott Verne & Wynn Mercere, Raven Press, January 2011 printing, $18.95 Trade Paperback

From the first, page CotG: Forgotten is packed with action, intrigue, and romance. In the course of this adventure, you will meet gods, heroes, and fantastic beasts from several different mythologies. Each character is written smartly and entertainingly, with personality quirks that set them apart from the standard run of the mill fantasy paradigms. OK, that is it for the standard literary bally-hoo. Let us get to the meat of the matter: Is it fun to read?

I can say without reservation that I had a blast reading this book, though it is a long one, its chock full of good writing, great action, and constantly twisting plot complications. The illustrations set the atmosphere of the world; using a combination of old world fine art and new age fantasy art. Recommending this to fans of mythology, fantasy, and good action and adventure stories is required, not just desired.

Do not get me wrong, this is not great literature. Cervantes will not have to worry about his station in the pantheon of great literary writers. Shakespear need not watch his backsides. I would think, however, that Stephen King and Piers Anthony might have to take care to avoid direct confrontation with these two story smiths. If you like good fantasy, if you are a fan of Lord of the Rings or Xanth or Andre Norton, you should definitely check out City of the Gods: Forgotten. I personally think you will be left wishing you had the sequel to start on right away, instead of waiting for its publication. Yes, there will be a sequel. All good fantasy requires expansion. It is in the nature of the beast. Do yourself a favor and get your copy as soon as you can, either for Kindle or in hard copy form. I will be keeping this one for the family library so that we will all be able to enjoy it again and again.

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has as a reference guide/companion

The Gods have forsaken us.
One by one they all left our world. Their temples remain, but no answers do they give. No justice do they met out or favors do they grant. Perhaps they grew bored with humans and our ways or great wars in the afterworlds pulled them away. One day perhaps, our children will learn where the gods have gone and why they left us...
There was no heroic last stand to stop the invasion.
I was a man once. But providence and the gods changed all that. Now I am immortal, so I can be miserable forever.
The book is written by M.Scott Verne and Wynn Mercere

Where did the Gods go after they left Earth? Some jobs feel like they last for eternity, but in D’Molay’s case they actually do. Granted longevity and trapped in a timeless city governed by all the old gods of Earth, D’Molay makes a fateful choice to assist a hapless girl. He slowly discovers she is far more than she even knows and starts to suspect she has some kind of connection to a huge beast ravaging the Olympian realm. D’Molay is torn between his duty to the eternal world and the leading of his heart. His compulsion to protect her pits the wits of a man against the guile of the gods, rekindling a faith he had long ago forgotten. In theory any of the gods of old could appear in the City of the gods. In this novel some of the deities that appear include Zeus, Eros, Zepherus, Ares, Hermes & Glaucus. Egyptian gods Set & Sekumet. Babylonian gods include Lamasthu & Namtar. And you also meet various Chinese, Norse, Indian, Mayan and African gods as the story unfolds. They are portrayed very much as they appeared in classical mythology, but given each of them their own personalities and motivations. The book has over 90 illustrations in is 312 pages, including works by Dore, Ingres, Leighton and many other classic painters from the 1600's to the late 1800's. Many of the pieces have been digitally altered to fit the story. There is also a map of the Godly Realms that is actually part of the story as the main character uses it to plot their course throughout their journey, allowing the reader to follow along. Get your copy today and visit the wonderous City of the Gods...

Average: No ratings.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,176,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible