The Cookie Book: Celebrating the Art, Power…

by Maritza Breitenbach (Author)

2012515,329 (3.3)5
Member:BALE
Title:The Cookie Book: Celebrating the Art, Power and Mystery of Woman's Sweetest Spot
Authors:Maritza Breitenbach (Author)
Info:Hunter House (2013), Soft Cover FIrst Edition: 1, 207 pages
Collections:Read, Early Reviewer's via LibraryThing.com
Tags:Woman, Health and Hygiene, Vagina

The Cookie Book: Celebrating the Art, Power and Mystery of Woman's Sweetest Spot by Maritza Breitenbach

Tell me more about my sweetest spot aka My Down There.
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really wanted to like this book. I thought it would be a good addition to my library as someone who participated in the Vagina Monologues in college, strongly identifies as a feminist and whose spiritual path involves the Goddess. Instead I had to force myself to read the whole book.

The first thing I did not care for is the huge amount of euphemisms. Yes, I understand that there are many names for the vulva and vagina. Again I did the Vagina Monologues which also means that I understand the power in words. How about using some more affirming words like Yoni and less comparing our genitalia to food? Or using the actual words of vulva and vagina more? I guess part of my upset with this book is how often women's bodies were compared to food, things to be devoured.

I did not care for the art at all. A lot of times it did not match what was being talked about in the text and left me scratching my head trying to figure out what they were trying to show. I would not recommend just on the art alone. I also would have thought you would have had more images of actual vulvas, vaginas and cervixes! Show the actual beauty of the female form.

She had some interesting tips and information. I would have recommended that with some of her outlandish claims that she would have cited them right away. I had to google some of her citations because they were so ridiculous like the study stating that not having a father around effects getting your first period. Her subtle jabs on women's promiscuity or lack of information about gay relationships were unwelcome as well.

Overall I would not recommend this book to my clients (I'm a holistic health coach specializing in women) nor would I bring it to any of my Goddess or feminism meetings. ( )
1 vote paolasp | May 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The book is brief, a bit informative, and cute (said with disdain). The photos and artwork seemed dated, stuck in the late 80's, early 90's. It would be good as an ob/gyn coffee table book, but I was hoping for more humor or bite. ( )
2 vote AQuilling | Mar 20, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a book about cunts that is too delicate to mention the word "cunt".
My only complaints are those of omission. She talks about how it's important for women to carefully select our sexual partners (especially for our first time) as if rape weren't prevalent. She talks about pregnancy as if it were always welcome. She talks about menopause as if it were necessarily undesirable.
However, its information is accurate, if not thorough, although the two-page spread of suggested shapes for bush-trimming is ridiculous - I can't imagine anyone with the patience to work out such detailed figures.
4 vote theophila | Feb 16, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not only was this book informative it was interesting and funny. Maritza explains the art of shaving, diseases, how to tell your daughter about her coming body changes and much, much more. There was a lot of information that I already knew but there was also a lot of information that I didnt along with some interesting statistics. This boook was a joy to read and I am even passing it along to the other woman in my life. I would recomend it to anyone interested in interesting facts about women or to a parent preparing for their daughters change into adulthood. ( )
1 vote Britt1075 | Feb 11, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 089793606X, Paperback)

10 Things You Probably Don't Know About the Vagina:

1. Female infants lubricate vaginally in the first four to six hours of life
7. What a woman eats can affect the scent of her vagina
8. Masturbation has a wide range of health benefits
9. In China a vagina with all its hair removed is known as a "white tiger"

Although based on medical research, The Cookie Book is light, entertaining, fun, and accessible to all women, regardless of academic background. This is the perfect woman-to-woman, mother/daughter, father/daughter gift.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:17 -0400)

"Self-esteem and self-empowerment are vital for a rewarding and fulfilling life and are often bolstered by belief systems and societal views. But what if these systems or views prevent us from truly accepting ourselves because of miseducation or taboo? Such is the case for most women and the vagina, an organ so vital to our very existence, yet shrouded in secrecy and shamefully hidden. In Maritza Breitenbach's The Cookie Book, she sets out to dispel taboo and promote female self-empowerment through her artistically beautiful and historically rich exploration of the human vagina. Fun, easy-to-read and light, The Cookie Book is a "must-read" for young adults and women of all ages just learning about or ready to take ownership of their own hidden treasure. The Cookie Book also details important rites of passage from tot to teen, pregnancy and childbirth to menopause. Inspired by her love of research and her own inability to talk about the vagina with confidence and ease, Breitenbach found women embarrassed and anxious about its appearance, aroma, general function, among others issues. Breitenbach believes when we view our vaginas as a source of pride and wonder rather than something of which to be ashamed, we empower ourselves beyond question in the most essential part of our being. The Cookie Book is filled with rare and interesting historical snippets and has over 100 color photographs and illustrations by famous painters such as Picasso, Rodin, de Goya, among others, all designed to encourage women to share information with friends and loved ones. The beautiful artwork, historical facts and cartoons promotes communication, which Breitenbach says is essential to liberating women and the vagina from taboo and bringing ownership back to every individual that has one or loves one. 10 Things You Probably Don't Know About the Vagina: 1. Female infants lubricate vaginally in the first four to six hours of life 2. The absence of a biological father through separation or divorce is known to bring on early menstruation 3. Famous painter Rodin did an illustration of the vagina titled "Sex of the Female" 4. A scent called "Vulva"--fashioned after the vagina's aroma--can be purchased from Germany and is said to drive men wild 5. Clockwork-powered vibrators were invented in 1734 and used in asylums by doctors hoping to curtail hysteria 6. Napoleon Bonaparte preferred the unwashed smell of Empress Josephine's "Black Forest" 7. What a woman eats can affect the scent of her vagina 8. Masturbation has a wide range of health benefits 9. In China a vagina with all its hair removed is known as a "white tiger" 10. The average vagina has a pH of 3.8 to 4.5, and maintaining pH is important for overall vaginal health The Cookie Book has invaluable information for every women as they journey through life--from infancy to adolescence, being a lover and a mother, to menopause and beyond. It explores the vagina's anatomy, aroma, function, the effects of puberty, sexual intercourse, pregnancy, childbirth and menopause. Young adults and women of all ages (even men) can gain insight into the mystical hymen, g-spot, masturbation and the history of contraception as well as learn how to avoid, recognize and treat vaginal infections and sexually transmitted diseases. Although based on medical research, The Cookie Book is light, entertaining, fun, and accessible to all women, regardless of academic background. This is the perfect woman-to-woman, mother/daughter, father/daughter gift"-- "In Maritza Breitenbach's The Cookie Book, she sets out to dispel any taboos and promote female self-empowerment through her artistically beautiful and historically rich exploration of the human vagina. Fun, easy-to-read, and light, The Cookie Book is a "must-read" for young adults and women of all ages just learning about or ready to take ownership of their own hidden treasure. The Cookie Book also details important rites of passage from tot to teen, pregnancy and childbirth to menopause"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Cookie Book: Celebrating the Art, Power and Mystery of Women's Sweetest Spot by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,256,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible