Prized by Caragh M. O'Brien

Good sequel!

I can't wait for #3. I really have to admire the main characters. The evolution of the series has me captivated. ( )
  dms12880 | Nov 29, 2018 |
Second book in series opens with Gaia fleeing into the wasteland with her days old baby sister Maya and being at death's door when a man on a horse finds them. Named Chardo Will, he is an outrider from a settlement called 'Sylum where the men outnumber the women 9 to 1 and thus the women have all the power. Once again, the baby is taken from Gaia and she is expected to follow a set of rules complete foreign to her...i.e. no talking to or touching men, stay in the women's compound and don't help any women who want to miscarry.
This book is a little bit more mature than the previous one in that there is an autopsy performed where Gaia and Chardo Will's brother Peter discover that the men who are infertile actually have both male and female reproductive organs INSIDE them. As well as that puzzle, there is the question of why no one can leave the village; if you do, the further away you go the sicker you become until you start hallucinating and die.
To make matters worse, Gaia has seen Leon in the village gaol...meaning he has followed her to the village. She offers to send him a horse to ride away before he becomes addicted to the village. He doesn't understand and feels insulted because before he left the Enclave of "haves" his father had him whipped ferociously.
A complex book in that Gaia suddenly finds herself the centre of attention and with more power than she has ever had before....a change from the first book where she was the lowest of the low. In fact there is a bit of a problem in that the two Chardo brothers Peter and Will like her as well as Leon so she has to work out which of the 3 men she likes. ( )
  nicsreads | May 14, 2018 |
Loved to read this book, even better than the first installment. First of all I think it's an interesting concept, to introduce after a patriarchic society a matriarchic society, to reveal that both in fact are evil - justice is if men and women are both equal. The injustice of the matriarchic felt even more real and harsh, as you are not used to it. Describe anything you want for a patriarchic society and the reader will believe it in a heartbeat, because in the end this is history and well, the the present too (woops by feminist view came out, sorry).
I liked the humor, the plot and the characters.

I liked how morally grey everything was. Nothing is more disappointing to me than if the main character is always 'stalwart and true'. Gaia really gets to think about her action, and sometimes none of them seem to be ok.

Even though some of the reviewers don't understand Leons POV, I can. He goes to hell for this girl, probably idolizes her while those months while they don't see each other and when he finally does, she's not the big damn hero anymore. Ouch, that must sting.

So I am very interested in how the story continues.
Will there be a happy ending? As the author does not fear character deaths, I feel everything is open.

I particularly I guess we should watch out for the younger brother...a spurned love is an incalculable thing and the people are on the verge of rioting...still. Hope the story does not end predictably - Leon dies a hero's death and sacrifices himself for Gaia, which ends up heartbroken but still marrying Will. Something like that. OR: She solved the puzzle in the 1st book wrong and Leon is in fact her brother. They share more similarities and the brother she discovered looked nothing like her parents.
Besides rioting in the enclave, Gaia now also has to lead a whole town to the desert. Has something like religious leader, right?

While this is always the point with YA books - they try to make the MC so plain that the reader can still identify them, although they need to be special enough to make them an MC after all. Here it is done by giving her a scar, a good story behind it to. The job as a midwife, the authority that comes with it and the courageous action she takes when she sees something wrong make her unique. ( )
  Geektesse | Dec 10, 2017 |
I WANT MORE! i found this series only last month and i ave torn through all three. now i want more, caragh o'brien is an amazing writer and i don't want the series to ever stop! but as we all know good things must come to an end, and this book ended it wonderfully. if another book pops up on the scene though, i'm all for it! ( )
  danaaa_99 | Apr 6, 2016 |
i am having a hard time finishing this book. the way they treat women really offends and upsets me. i don't know why. so i skimmed through the book just reading bits and pieces. then gaia is so different and unlikeable how she treats Leon is just ... ugh. i am going through it again, actually reading it and taking my time and once again the way the women are treated just makes me sick and i have to stop. i really want to get to the part with Leon. since i skimmed it i know how it ends and its good and Gaia is once again likeable but the journey to get there is tough. normally i don't finish a book because i don't like it and and don't care about the characters. this time it's different. hmm maybe i read the kindle book torture and then i can finish prized. so i did it read tortured and then prized. for some reason i sympathized a little more with the matrac and gaia after this. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |
For Nancy Mercado
She grabbed the hilt of her knife and scrambled backwards into the darkness, holding the baby close in her other arm.

Sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone is in the wasteland with nothing but her baby sister, a handful of supplies, and a rumor to guide her when she is captured by the people of Sylum, a dystopian society where she must follow a strict social code or never see her sister again.… (more)

Caragh O'Brien is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,827,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible