Prized by Caragh M. O'Brien
340None32,217 (3.91)15
2011 (7) 2012 (5) 2013 (4) adventure (4) Book 2 (3) dystopia (37) dystopian (11) ebook (5) fantasy (4) fiction (15) genetic engineering (5) Kindle (4) library (3) midwife (9) netgalley (4) post-apocalyptic (9) read (5) romance (11) science fiction (20) series (13) sf (3) sisters (4) strong women (3) survival (7) teen (7) to-read (29) unread (3) wishlist (5) YA (22) young adult (27)

As far as YA fiction goes, this trilogy worked for me. I will admit that I struggled to get through the first one, but that the ending kept me reading the second. And the third! So now I've finished the set. While I liked Prized better than this (ever-so-slightly), I appreciate the social issues covered in all three books. I liked the plot and character development in this last one most. I still think much of the dialogue feels cheesy and contrived, but I get that this is what teens like and want. Overall, a worthwhile read. ( )
  CanadianA | Jan 30, 2014 |
Love this book. Rarely do I like the second book more than the first book but in this case I did. New characters are introduced to contribute significantly to the plot and are intriguing. If you liked Birthmarked, then do not hesitate to rush our and get this book. Gaia finds herself in the community of Sylum, where she has a deal of difficulty adjusting to the rules which include no touching no kissing and no voting, if you're a male. Gaia find herself attracted to more than one male and that is a really big problem in this society. I love how spunky she is and how she never stops fighting for what she thinks is right. Book 3 is called Promise ( )
  JRlibrary | Nov 19, 2013 |
Prized (Birthmarked Trilogy) Birthmarked is one of my favourite YA books, it has it all: great world-building, well-developed characters who make realistic choices, a real sense of terror considering what was at stake and, oh wonder of wonders!, no love triangle, no insta-love, no Mary-Sue for a heroine.

There was very little of this in Prized. I don't know, maybe because Birthmarked was so amazing my expectations for Prized were too high. But really, what flowed so beautifully in Birthmarked was stunted and just felt forced here.

The love quadrangle: I get it, new setting, new rules. But Birthmarked was special because the heroine was unwanted. It was special because there was no insta-love between her and the love interest, because what happened between them was built slowly, and it felt beautiful, it felt real. It wasn't even a major part of the plot but it was all the more cherished for that.

In Prized we get Gaia making absurd decisions and going back and forth on the ones she does make. I like flawed characters, the thing is, this just made her inconsistent and unrealistic. Surely, with all that was happening, she had more to occupy her mind than wasting time wondering whom she loved more?

While in Birthmarked there was this feeling of "there may be romance here, but really, now is not the time" (and it really wasn't!), that was set aside in Prized, and in my opinion the book really suffered for it.

Insta-love: I kind of (almost) understand the thing she had with Will, but Peter? What was even the point? If you needed another one for a love triangle (and believe me, you never need a love triangle), Will at least had something in common with Gaia, something Leon did not have. What was the point of Peter even existing?

Leon: That was just... I get it, but I'm really, really sorry to say this because I genuinely like Caragh M. O'Brien's writing... it was poorly executed.

All in all, this book left me feeling that O'Brien was not only trying to make it more conforming to what is generally perceived a YA audience desires but also that she was rushing to meet a deadline.

I hope this is just second book syndrome, like I said, Caragh M. O'Brien's writing is great - I'm giving this a two, I know this sounds horribly unfair, but if it were another writer, one I'd never read before, I'd probably give it a 3.5. But the thing is, I have read a nearly flawless book by O'Brien, and you just can't follow that with... this. I'm sorry! I feel terrible because, as I've mentioned several times, I love her writing, so I have every hope that Promised will amaze me. ( )
  Isa_Lavinia | Sep 10, 2013 |
Gaia Stone flees from Enclave and it's opressive regime and finds herself in Sylum, almost dead, with her baby sister Maya. Gaia has swapped the previous regime with a matriarchial society that values women over men and with a population that consists of mostly men that's an achievement. However there are hidden issues and problems and escape will kill people. Gaia has to deal with all these issues and when Leon turns up she has to cope with some other stresses.

Ah, complex teenage love lives and complicated societies where they don't tell you the rules but expect you to obey them anyway, I'd rebel!

It's not a bad read, I enjoyed it but there were times when I wondered why people don't educate others to customs and then punish them for disobeying.

Interested to see what happens next. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 27, 2013 |
I am loving this book. It feels like I am in a totally new world. A world so interesting.

Update: Wow As I said I loved that the author created a new world. I did not expect it at all and I like to be surprised. Many new characters and a lot of interesting ones. Yes sometimes Gaia annoyed me but hey she is human and can make mistakes. That is probably why she felt more real to me in this book. I can't wait for book 3 and any other books Caragh O'Brien will write. 4,5

Read from February 17 to 19, 2012

Re reading for book 3. Forgot a lot.

I must say that reading this book for the second time I did think one thing was strange. In book 1 Gaia is very conscious of her scar.In book 2 you hardly hear anything about it while in book 1 it was constantly mentioned. In this book it appears every guy wants her. I love the books but I wish Caragh did not have to go there. Meaning another love triangle.

Why do we need love triangles. Only because twilight had one? Then Hunger Games? No more. please! ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
For Nancy Mercado
She grabbed the hilt of her knife and scrambled backwards into the darkness, holding the baby close in her other arm.

Sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone is in the wasteland with nothing but her baby sister, a handful of supplies, and a rumor to guide her when she is captured by the people of Sylum, a dystopian society where she must follow a strict social code or never see her sister again.… (more)

Caragh O'Brien is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,419,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible