Bake Sale by Sara Varon

Bake Sale (edition 2011)

by Sara Varon, Sara Varon (Illustrator)

Member:MaryARogers
Title:Bake Sale
Authors:Sara Varon
Other authors:Sara Varon (Illustrator)
Info:First Second (2011), Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Lower Elementary Levels, Upper Elementary Levels, Your library
Tags:Graphic Novel, Chapter Book

Bake Sale by Sara Varon

Silas (9) liked this. Would read more by this author. He liked when he found out about the baking contest the best. And that his friend is an eggplant. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Genre: Graphic Novel
Bake Sale is about Cupcake that is a baker and his friend Eggplant. Eggplant want to visit his relatives in Istanbul, his Aunt's business partner is a famous baker, and Cupcakes idol. Cupcake decides to hold bake sales at various places so that he can go with Eggplant and meet his idol. Right before they are about to leave, Eggplant loses his job and can't afford a plane ticket. Cupcake lets Eggplant use his plane ticket to go visit family.
This story would be a really good read for a young reader. In the back of the book it also includes all the recipes for the things Cupcake baked in the book. This could be used in a classroom if they were doing a baking unit. If this book was read at home, it would be fun to use the recipes.
  samantha.cox | Dec 6, 2015 |
This graphic novel is really cute. I was looking for a graphic novel that wasn't super "comic like" and this one was perfect. Cupcake is having a hard time picking between playing in his band with his friends or working extra to make money for a trip to Turkey to see his baking idol. His friend eggplant is supporting him along the way and encourages him.
  Mollie21 | Dec 6, 2015 |
This graphic novel is completely adorable. Cupcake is a baker and he feels a little bit stagnant in the kitchen lately. Like he's making the same food over and over and losing his creativity. So he starts looking for inspiration and believes he will get it by meeting Turkish Delight, the world class baker. However it turns out that maybe he should be thinking closer to home.

I love this book because it works on sooo many levels and the illustration style is just so attractive to me. I also thinks it has levels that appeal more to children and other levels that work more for adults, which I think is extremely exciting. Children can definitely learn lessons about working hard, sacrifice and friendships from the book. Whereas I think adults can relate to feeling like you're in a rut and not having anything you do to move past that work for you.

There is some text in this book but it's not an overabundance. I think the author does a great job just letting panels speak for themselves. It's very easy to figure out what's going on and the book really shows how illistrations can just speak for themselves.

I love that there are recipes in the back of the book and I think I might copy them out to try before I return the book to the library. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Cupcake runs a successful bakery with his best friend, Eggplant, but dreams of going abroad to meet his idol, Turkish Delight, who is the most famous pastry chef in the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,986,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible