Bake Sale by Sara Varon

Bake Sale (edition 2011)

by Sara Varon, Sara Varon (Illustrator)

Member:MaryARogers
Title:Bake Sale
Authors:Sara Varon
Other authors:Sara Varon (Illustrator)
Info:First Second (2011), Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Lower Elementary Levels, Upper Elementary Levels, Your library
Tags:Graphic Novel, Chapter Book

Bake Sale by Sara Varon

This is a low conflict story about friendship and baking. Eggplant is planning to visit his aunt in Turkey this spring and invites his friend Cupcake to come with him. Cupcake is very excited about the trip, because it will give him a chance to meet Turkish Delight, a famous pastry chef and his idol. First, though, he has to save up enough money to buy his ticket. While Eggplant is watching out for Cupcake's bakery, Cupcake sells some of his baked goods at various new places and events.

I've wanted to read this ever since I cataloged it for my library. The thought of a baked good creating and selling other baked goods was a little weird, but the artwork was bright, cute, and appealing.

Now that I've read it, I can say that the whole “baked good selling baked goods” thing is still weird. On the one hand, they ate food, like any other living thing, and owned pets (regular dogs, cats, etc.). On the other hand, Cupcake, at least, had actual cupcake-specific problems. When he and Eggplant went to a Turkish bath, for example, the sauna dried out his frosting a little, and the eucalyptus-scented Turkish Room made his wrapper start to peel.

If you can get past the weirdness of this world in which anthropomorphized food eats regular food, this is an okay story, although it ended too suddenly for my tastes and felt somewhat pointless. Like I said at the beginning of this review, Bake Sale is very low conflict. The worst things the characters deal with are Eggplant getting laid off and Cupcake's disappointment and slight depression, and both of these things are handled in a fairly low key way.

I think this graphic novel would be most appealing to those who are interested in baking. Thankfully, I fall into that category. There was something calming about watching Cupcake get ready to open his bakery each day. I especially enjoyed seeing him try new recipes. He wasn't afraid to experiment, even though the results weren't always successful.

It's practically required that food-related books include recipes, and Bake Sale is no exception. Varon included recipes for sugared flowers, raspberry squares, brownies, vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting, marzipan, dog treats, and peppermint brownies. I haven't tried any of them yet, but I'm planning on giving the peppermint brownies a shot once I've bought some peppermint extract.

Story-wise, this was a bit too low key for me. However, I'd still recommend it to baking enthusiasts, even (especially?) newbies.

(Original review, with read-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Aug 1, 2015 |
Bake Sale, a graphic novel by Sara Varon is an adorably animated book about a baker who is also a cupcake and his journeys. In a world of other foods that have person-like qualities Cupcake wants to meet his idol who is another chef. Cupcake and his friend Eggplant help each other to make a successful bake sale but troubles come their way as they try to make time for other things such as playing in the band. Cupcake must make choices for friendship and for conviction. I thought this book was very cute and fun for kids to read. The illustrations are fun and colorful. This book is great for a free time read while relaxing for children.
  Kristinewaind | Jun 6, 2015 |
Accomplished bakery-owner Cupcake has a good life and an established routine: run his bakery, play drums in a band, and hang out with his best friend, Eggplant. But he dreams of meeting famous chef Turkish Delight and is always trying to find new ways to market his baked goods. Cupcakes lives in a world of other anthropomorphic foods (especially fruits and vegetables), and Sara Varon's simply colored illustrations are dreamy -- almost like the frosting-covered recipes of Cupcake's bakery. Aspiring bakers may enjoy trying out the tasty recipes in "Cupcake's Repertoire" at the end of the book -- raspberry squares, brownies, and more! Yum! ( )
  aeisen9 | Mar 18, 2014 |
Bake Sale by Sara Varon is the story of a pair of friends trying to save up enough money to go to Turkey. Cupcake runs a bakery. Eggplant likes to play in a band. Eggplant has relatives in Turkey, one of whom knows the world famous Turkish Delight — a baking guru that Cupcake would love to meet.

At first it looks like Cupcake, with Eggplant's help, can earn enough extra money in his store to travel with Eggplant to Turkey. But things happen, as they often do, and Cupcake has to work overtime. Responsibilities at the bakery get in the way of playing in the band. Without that time together in band practice, the two friends drift apart.

It's a sweet little story about the sort of bumps friendship go through when responsibilities and commitments get in the way.

The artwork is colorful and engaging. Though designed on real world foods — they are still cute and full of personality. The friendship as unlikely as it seems for an eggplant and a cupcake, it's pulled off here. ( )
  pussreboots | May 10, 2013 |
Very cute story about a Cupcake, his friend Eggplant. Although I found the story rather standard I also liked the gentle message behind being generous to others and supporting friends. I also love that the author included recipes in the back. A really nice touch. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |

Cupcake runs a successful bakery with his best friend, Eggplant, but dreams of going abroad to meet his idol, Turkish Delight, who is the most famous pastry chef in the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,032,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible