Daughter of Time by Sarah Woodbury

Daughter of Time (2011)

by Sarah Woodbury

284960,444 (3.45)1 / 3

WTF did I just read? I was completely into this book and then the ending made me want to throw my kindle across the room. I mean come on, how can you just end the story this way? I know there are more books, but I am not sure I want to read more. I felt cheated. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
Just so well done all round - engaging, flawless writing, thoroughly researched foundation, great characters, pace, plot. Will be reading more Sarah Woodbury!

P.S. I see a few reviewers have failed to appreciate a good book when they find one. I think that the author
a) has been bold enough to diverge from the mainstream (*cough, cough, lemming*) stampede to draft, style and plot her story in a way completely appropriate to the setting;
b) has written to a high standard of English, which some would find unfamiliar;
c) has refrained from devoting 25% of her pages to a detailed description of what went on between the sheets; and
d) has failed to deliver instant romantic gratification, clearly a major issue for some readers. ( )
  DavidR1958 | Jul 4, 2017 |
I am not usually into the historical romance genre, but there is something about the idea of going back in time that I find fascinating.

A good read. I liked the author's quest for historical accuracy even while she messes with the timeline. ( )
  MichaelaWirtz | May 22, 2016 |
The story itself is good. I don't like all the complicated names and spellings (the only reason for four stars instead of five), but the author did a good job with the dialogues (and I think she does try to make some effort to help us readers understand things better because of all the terms and so on). Meg is a woman who has just come out of a rather bad marriage that eventually ended in her husband's death. A mother-daughter outing takes an odd turn when an unexpected car accident transports them back in time--to Wales. Meg finds herself facing the Prince of Wales, who finds himself attracted to the two of them. She has no idea how she got there or why she's even there. She's not sure how she'll get home or if that's even possible. But she knows one thing: she loves the Prince.

The Prince of Wales has had quite a number of women come and go in his life, but none have ever produced an heir. Meg seems to attract him in ways that no other woman ever has. Even though he's childless, he's already accepted her daughter, Anna, as his own.

Along with romance, there are twists and turns in the story leaving you to wonder if the author will allow history to change or somehow bring Meg and Anna back to the present day/future in an attempt to leave history as it is. I'm sure you'll enjoy this read. ( )
  caslater83 | Jul 24, 2015 |
YA time travel and romance historical fiction. I got this for free on Amazon and started it for a quick, simple read. I had no expectations whatsoever apart from decent prose and it didn't disappoint. The story is voiced in first person by the protagonists, Meg, a recently-widowed modern girl coping with a past of domestic violence, and Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, the last prince of Wales.

After a brief introduction when it is made clear her life is a wreck and no conflict would arise from divided affections, the heroine suddenly finds herself in the XIII century, and the reader is supplied no further explanation in this novel. Conveniently, she is of Welsh descent and can manage a little of the language, is fluent in French and was drilled in Welsh history by her mother.

The story flows easily, nothing happens actually, but the historical context is charming, as she travels from place to place and becomes privy to the political controversies, the self-interests at play, the battles of the time, and to Llywelyn's biggest regret.
Very (very) light on characterization, she is accepted with few questions asked, communication comes easily, the romance is linear and the contemps behave quite modernly, there is no tension apart from the fact she fears for the life of her beloved, fated to die at Cilmeri.
An element of originality is that she is a young mother and her child is with her, but this is also a prequel to a trilogy, and the book ends accordingly.

I'd give this 2.5 stars rounded to three because while I wasn't engaged, it was a fast, delicate read and the historical context of my interest, Llywelyn is surely an intriguing figure. ( )
  Alissa- | Jun 5, 2015 |

Llywelyn and Meg, a medieval man with an uncertain destiny and a modern woman with a troubled past. Only by working together can they navigate the shifting allegiances that threaten the very existence of Wales–and create their own history that defies the laws of time.

***A note from the author: I am so happy to be able to share with you this prequel to the After Cilmeri series. I created Footsteps in Time and Prince of Time first, and only wrote Daughter of Time after so many readers wanted to know how the story began. Meg's journey is continued in Footsteps in Time and Winds of Time, a novella that is meant to be a companion to the series. Happy reading! -- Sarah [retrieved 12/2/2014 from Amazon.com]

Daughter of Time tells the story of a young widow, Meg, healing from the pain of a brief, unhappy marriage, who falls through time into the Middle Ages, and into the arms of Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, the last Prince of Wales. He saves her, and she in turn saves him, thanks to her knowledge of future events. Although powerful forces seek to divide them, by working together, Meg and Llywelyn have a chance to navigate the dangerous and shifting alliances that constantly undermine his rule and threaten the very existence of Wales, and to create a future in which Llywelyn's death does not come too soon.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,468,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible