The Last Time I Saw Paris by Lynn Sheene

The Last Time I Saw Paris

by Lynn Sheene

208983,692 (3.57)10

La autora de este libro es Lynn Sheene y fue publicado en el año 2011. El género es Novela rosa, Ficción histórica. Esta novela está ambientada en la década de los 40 cuando los nazis invaden Francia y que tiene como protagonista a Claire Harris, americana, que que gusta de la buena vida y glamorosa. Huye de Manhattan con la romántica idea de empezar una nueva vida en París para reencontrarse con su amor, el mismo que había sido su amante. Pero sus planes sufren un cambio drástico por el inicio la ocupación alemana en el mismo momento que llega a París. Ella tiene que pasar por muchas dificultades y empieza a colaborar con la Resistencia francesa. La valentía y la inteligencia de Claire la convierten en seguida en una eficiente espía, y sus valores cambiarán al ser testigo del valeroso espíritu de los parisinos. “Desde ese punto de vista descubre en los parisinos algo más allá de los tópicos existentes sobre ellos, el valor que demuestran por la defensa de lo suyo y el amor a su patria inciden hondamente en la protagonista”. La historia esta llena de drama y suspenso donde se mezclan con lo romántico. Tiene todos los elementos de acción trepidante con mucha emociones y que hace que uno no pare de leer para ver cual será el desenlace. ( )
  jans2005 | Jan 4, 2019 |
Over the last few years I have become interested in what happened during WWII. This year I have read several fiction books based during that time. This is one of them. I really enjoyed this book. Clair is an Oklahoma farm girl who is dirt poor and heads to NY to get a better life. She fabricates her background and marries into society. When her husband figures out she isn’t society, she flees to Paris to find a man she had an affair with how she thought she was in love with. When she gets to Paris she lands smack in the middle of the war. See soon becomes part of the resistance against the Germans and endangers her life and the lives around her. I found this book beautifully written, very descriptive and enjoyable. I was pulled back to Paris and the war and worried about the different characters. Sometimes when I read historical fiction books, I wonder, would I have had the strength to fight the Germans or would I have fled. I applaud anyone who risked their lives for their country and the sacrifices they made during WWII. I recommend this book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
2.5 Stars

This book was a disappointment overall. It sounded interesting as hell, and I've been on a WWII kick lately. So a Resistance thriller in Nazi-era France sounded right up my alley. Weeeellll..... let's just say I'm impressed I finished the book at all.

The premise of the story intrigued me. An American stuck in occupied France? Yes please! And I did get the exciting escape scenes, the nail-biting confrontations with other Resistance figures and the Nazis, and the edge-of-your-seat tension on whether everyone is going to escape or not.

However... And this is a huge "however"! The main character, Claire/Clara, drives me up the frickin' wall! There were extremely faint glimmers of a character I could have liked: compassion for a Nazi victim dead on the street, a devotion to saving two girls that come to her care, and a fierce dedication to saving the man she loves.
But egads, her other character flaws totally cancel these glimmers out. She's a narcissistic wench who can't seem to solve any problems without shedding all her clothes. I question her motivations and actions more times than I care to remember. And her forging ahead without any planning? Let's just say I'm amazed she survived the war.

Unfortunately, the other characters couldn't save this novel, either. What page time they got was very limited, and what was there made them two-dimensional to the reading audience. I think I could have came to really love Grey if only he was present in the story more.*sigh* I think that could have been said for many of the secondary characters in this novel. Oh well...

I'm giving this book a 2.5 in the end. I actually finished it and enjoyed the plot itself. So it deserves at least that, I think. Yet, the main character is definitely not one to love and the secondary ones aren't present enough to allow for any love to develop for them. If you're looking for something light to read, this might be a good choice. But would I recommend it to the serious historical fiction lover who enjoys a great book? No. ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 12, 2016 |
Not entirely my cup of tea, but was interesting and fast moving. A young woman leaves her loveless marriage for romance in Paris, just as the Nazis invade. Unable and unwilling to return home, and without proper identification she finds it hard to live. With the help of new friends, she manages as well as she can, and becomes a valuable asset to the Resistance movement.
  FancyHorse | Dec 6, 2013 |
When Claire Harris Stone's past catches up with her one night in 1940s New York, she leaves behind her glittering life as a socialite (as well as her domineering husband) and runs away to Paris and the arms of her lover. What Claire hasn't realized in her selfish society haze is that Paris is on the verge of Occupation and without proper papers, her very presence endangers those who try to support her.

Luckily for Claire, a local florist sees potential in Claire and takes her in to work (and live) under the table. Delivering flowers to hotels gives Claire access to the comings and goings of the Nazi occupiers - as well as collaborators - and she is soon courted by the Resistance movement. Claire must decide between returning to the lap of luxury she once so longed for and protecting those who believed there was more to her than an empty-headed socialite.

I wanted to like The Last Time I Saw Paris a lot more than I actually ended up liking it. I wanted to like it because I'm fascinated by the French Resistance (any of the Resistance movements, really) and I love Paris as a setting (one of the major settings of this book was on the same street as the hotel I stayed in last trip). And to be honest, part of the reason this book didn't hit me was simply because I so recently read the heart-wrenching Code Name: Verity and this just couldn't compare. But that's not all.

I simply never warmed to Claire - she was selfish and oblivious to the situation around her and for all her shrewdness in manipulating people, she never really wised up to...well, anything. The plot twists near the end which were clearly meant to be shocking came as no surprise to me at all and I spent most of the book wondering how Claire never considered that her marks and targets might be considerably more cunning than she thought. The love story was a bit weak as a motivation, and while I admired Claire's brazenness in the face of Nazi troops, I didn't like how she used her sexuality without, it seems, so much as a second thought (not that it wasn't realistic or in character...I just didn't like it).

Ultimately, the pay-off didn't really work for me and that coupled with the lackluster love story made this a decent enough read, but not one that I'll be returning to. ( )
  Caramellunacy | Feb 6, 2013 |
To my husband, Ken
To my parents, Jim and Joan
In memory of James Alfred Comstock,
poet and grandfather (1911-1983)
Claire Harris Stone breathed in the faint scent of roses from the courtyard garden below as her yielding body swayed to the strains of "In The Mood" drifting out the open French doors.

A stunning debut novel of a young American woman who becomes a spy in Paris during World War II.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:15 -0400)

May 1940. Fleeing a glamorous Manhattan life built on lies, Claire Harris arrives in Paris with a romantic vision of starting anew. But she didn't anticipate the sight of Nazi soldiers marching under the Arc de Triomphe. Her plans smashed by the German occupation, the once- privileged socialite's only option is to take a job in a flower shop under the tutelage of a sophisticated Parisian florist. In exchange for false identity papers, Claire agrees to aid the French Resistance. Despite the ever-present danger, she comes to love the enduring beauty of the City of Light, exploring it in the company of Thomas Grey, a mysterious Englishman working with the Resistance. Claire's bravery and intelligence make her a valuable operative, and slowly her values shift as she witnesses the courageous spirit of the Parisians. But deception and betrayal force her to flee once again-this time to fight for the man she loves and what she knows is right-praying she has the heart and determination to survive long enough to one day see Paris again.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,133,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible