Cassidy Jones and the Secret Formula by…

Cassidy Jones and the Secret Formula

by Elise Stokes

11120169,013 (4.43)1
The first novel in the Cassidy Jones Adventures series. After a mishap in the laboratory of Professor Serena Phillips, fourteen-year-old Cassidy Jones discovers that her senses, strength, and speed have been radically enhanced. When Phillips goes missing, Cassidy and the professor's son, Emery, set out to find her, becoming embroiled in a dangerous, action-packed adventure.… (more)

If there's one thing I like in a story where someone gets super powers from a lab accident is that someone having a great time learning what she can do. Cassidy Jones is that someone. Oh, it isn't all fun and games--her father is missing and some very scary people want her for what she now is--but she still manages to have a sense of awe over things.

I really could have done without the high school drama plot, especially because there was so much going on elsewhere. (I veto the Jared loooooooove thing.) Because this really wasn't a story about Cassidy having superpowers in high school, it was a story about Cassidy having to step up and be a hero and actually save people from harm.

Let's say it's 2.5/5 stars.

(Provided by publisher) ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
This is Elise Stokes first novel and I have to say, she did an awesome job! While I found a few unnecessary dialogue tags and other unnecessary words, for a first effort, this was amazing! I only wish I could have had as good a first effort :)

Lots of action, an engaging plot and relatable herione. I would definitely recommend this series for tween age girls who need strong protagonists for examples to follow through those tough teen years. ( )
  L.R.W.Lee | Jul 26, 2016 |
I enjoyed Cassidy Jones and the Secret Formula. Cassidy is a great character and the relationships between her, and her friends and family are realistic. I really liked Emery, although I wish I knew more about him, but I think that was the author's intent.

This is a great book for the middle school crowd and maybe even early high school. My 13 year old daughter is going to read it next. ( )
  DaphneH | Dec 1, 2014 |
This was a book that was getting many mentions on Goodreads so I thought I’d read it. It’s a rollicking adventure, great pace, and a great hero in 14 year old Cassidy Jones. I really enjoyed all the minor characters too, especially the school kids, although I confess that the teens at schools these days seem nothing like they were at my school.

When the book started I found some of the physical descriptions of people a bit over-bearing and some of the early descriptive writing a little stodgy. But the book soon comes alive with Cassidy’s ‘accident’ and her feelings and emotions as a result of that are brilliantly written; you can really empathise with her. I got distracted by yet another book telling me someone was reigning in their emotions. I suppose raining in their emotions would be even worse, but reining in one’s emotions, like using the reins on a horse to control it, is correct! The power of the writing and the excitement of the adventure soon got me through my grouchiness, though, and — in that old cliched phrase — I couldn’t put it down!

A thoroughly enjoyable read,well plotted and characterised, complete with a megalomaniac baddie, ninjas and comic book heroes, that would suit all ages from about 9 upwards. ( )
  Jemima_Pett | Nov 11, 2014 |
I read a number of very positive reviews for this Author's work. This book is the first in the series and was available free. This is a YA superhero story. The target audience is teenage girls. All I can say is that this book is worthy of the positive reviews. The plot was engaging. The characters had depth. It was a very enjoyable read. ( )
  DianneAstle | Aug 4, 2014 |

Elise Stokes is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,146,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible