Shadow Kin (Novel of the Half-Light City) by…

Shadow Kin (Novel of the Half-Light City) (edition 2011)

by M.J. Scott

1196101,247 (3.53)2
Title:Shadow Kin (Novel of the Half-Light City)
Authors:M.J. Scott
Info:ROC (2011), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:read 2012

Shadow Kin by M. J. Scott

Maybe I'm spoiled with good urban fantasy, but I was slightly underwhelmed with Shadow Kin.
It's a good mix of urban fantasy and paranormal romance, and I've enjoyed reading it, but it needed an edge like Cat and Bones from The Night Huntress series to become memorable and addictive. And edge of darkness, of desperation and explosive violence.

Otherwise it stays just NICE. Nothing wrong with that, unless you want me to recommend you a GREAT read... Then this series will be totally taken out of equation.

The most interesting thing about Shadow Kin is its villain, Lucius. Mad, vicious and very dark, he plays a deep game and you only start seeing his intrigues for what they are in the end. Alas his appearance in the book is really spotty and in the end he is permanently removed from the case while you are left with slightly trivial heroes - tortured and reckless do-gooder healer Simon and Lily, an insecure and fragile assassin of Lucius, who's just waiting for love to understand that she is unhappy in her chosen line of work and will escape it to save her true love. *yawn*

I little bit of fighting and a lot of talking ensues, big secret revealed, all the baddies punished... and voila, relatively happy ending. A hearty winter meal, but don't expect a delicacy. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Some of my friends were surprised that I had bought this book, since they didn't think it was my kind of thing. True, I'm not fond of kick-ass urban fantasy with sassy heroines and too many fantasy elements (wizards, vampires, witches, fairies, trolls, demons, and so on), but this is not really urban, it's more steampunk, and I liked the blurb of book 3, and that's not where I like to start a series, so I bought part 1.

Unfortunately, my friends turned out to be right. It wasn't so much the number of fantastical elements that bothered me. I just didn't like the setup of the story. The heroine may be an assassin, but she's an abused and addicted assassin. Abused as in used to being beaten up regularly, and addicted to a substance that makes her crave sex. So, what you get is a damsel-in-distress type story. Poor abused assassin is rescued by knightly doctor. On top of that, the doctor reacts as a complete moron when he finds out she is addicted (which really wasn't her fault), but after they make up after a few token apologies. It was all very trite, really. It was an easy read, but not a particularly good one. ( )
  zjakkelien | Dec 1, 2013 |
Lily is Shadow kin, wraith, soulless, abomination... Enslaved by vampires, despised by fae, feared by most, her fan club has no members. Until she meets Simon. He is a sunmage, healer, personification of everything good and pure. And he likes her and wants to help her. That's when the trouble starts...
This book did not feel very original to me. Lily is a kick-ass heroine dressed in leathers and black (you for sure can name at least one more that fits that description...)
Everything is written in first person point of view and it alternates between Simon and Lily. It was very confusing and Simon's voice felt somehow girly to me...
I'm gonna give it another chance and read the next book because I hate not finishing series... ( )
  bookwormdreams | Apr 10, 2013 |
Did Not Finish

The premise of this book seemed really fascinating as did the fantasy elements. Unfortunately, the story turned out to be a snoozefest. Nothing really exciting happened. There was a whole lot of talking and moving around from one location to the next, but very little action dispersed throughout. The romance was incredibly superficial & unbelievable as were several actions & motivations of the two protagonists. Furthermore, I never connected with the heroine and could not buy for one second that she was a badass assassin.
  MargK | Dec 3, 2011 |
Reviewed by http://urbanfantasyinvestigations.blogspot.com/

Another fabulous cover that reeled me in. Lily is a wraith. She is hated by every Fae because she is a wraith and feared because she is the assassin slave to Lucius. The day Lucius sends Lily out to kill a human named Simon everything in Lily's life changed.

The world that Lily grows up in has made her think very little of herself so she keeps to herself, doesn't show any feelings and kills who and when she is told to. She is sent out to kill Simon and when it doesn't go as planned he is the first person to treat her like she is someone worth knowing. The story switches back and forth between Simon and Lily's POV. It was easy to keep up with things and it only added to the story to read what either person was feeling about things at the time. I was happy with the way the story progressed at most points but i found the middle to be a tad bit slow. There was times where I wanted to yell at one or the other for not understanding the other better but that is all part of a great story. The emotions came across well. Simon and Lily had great chemistry. There is a great mixture of paranormal creatures. The world that the story takes place is well described. SHADOW KIN lived up to its cover and I will be picking up book 2 BLOOD KIN in June so I can continue the story. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Oct 5, 2011 |

Welcome to the Half-Light City.

Imagine a city divided. On one side, the Night World, ruled by the Blood Lords and the Beast Kind. On the other, the elusive Fae and the humans, protected by their steadfast mages. A city held together by nothing more than a treaty-and even then, just barely...

I was born of a Fae mother, but I had no place amongst her kind. They called me "soulless." An abomination. Perhaps they're right...I'm a wraith, a shadow who slips between worlds. I was given into the service of a Blood Lord who raised me to be his most feared assassin. Still, I'm nothing more than a slave to my master, and to the need that only he can fulfill...

Then he orders me to kill Simon DuCaine, a powerful sunmage. In the blaze of his magic, my own disappears. Instead of seeking revenge, Simon shows me mercy. He wants to free me. But that's one thing my master and his kind will never allow.

And even if I thought I could trust Simon, stepping from the shadow into the light isn't as simple as it sounds...

When a beautiful wraith, a shadow who slips between worlds, is ordered by her mastor, the Blood Lord Lucius, to kill Simon DuCaine, a powerful sunmage who has promised to set her free, she must choose between trust, loyalty, the shadows and the light.… (more)

M. J. Scott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,869,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible