Brian's Hunt by Gary Paulsen

by Gary Paulsen

Read Aloud or In Reading Groups

Genre: Fiction (Survival)

Reading Level: 5th grade and up

Summary:
"Millions of readers of Hatchet, The River, Brian's Winter, and Brian's Return know that Brian Robeson is at home in the Canadian wilderness. He has stood up to the challenge of surviving alone in the woods. He prefers being on his own in the natural world to civilization.
This story takes place two years after Brian had been stranded in the Canadian wilderness. When Brian finds a dog one night, a dog that is wounded and whimpering, he senses danger. The dog is badly hurt, and as Brian cares for it, he worries about his Cree friends who live north of his camp. His instincts tell him to head north, quickly. With his new companion at his side, and with a terrible, growing sense of unease, he sets out to learn what happened. He sets out on the hunt. The tale of adventure proceeds as Brian and his dog find what happened when a murdering bear has gone wild."
-Scholastic

I love this book and several environmental education lessons could be taught. Being prepared, edible plants, ecosystems. ( )
  aelucas | Dec 9, 2013 |
Right up front I will admit that Hatchett is one of my favorite books and I've read it 7 or 8 times and I look forward to each new tale of Brian's saga.

This was not a very good book. The story didn't really get started until half way through the book and the climax was over in about 2 pages. The premise of the book was flimsy at best and what I mean by that is that it could have been a very good short 20 page story but to try and make a book out of it made it feel stretched.

I have friends that are Star Wars fanatics and they read every new Star Wars book and they love them whether the books are good or not and this is kind of like that. I enjoyed the book but I enjoyed the book because I have a history with the author and the character. If you like Paulsen, Brian, Hatchett or survival stories then I think you will enjoy this story. If those things really aren't your thing then I would recommend you give this one a pass.

I give it 3 stars because I enjoyed it but that's a personal preference...it's really closer to a 2 star book. ( )
  ferrisscottr | Jun 18, 2013 |
It is an exciting book that helps carry on the series. It has a great story line and plot as well. I read this book because of the previous books.
  edspicer | May 19, 2013 |
I really enjoy Paulsen's writing. He has a magnificent even voice as he writes which makes the reading experience more soothing. I enjoyed the snide comments about Jack London's wilderness/survival knowledge. It would be interesting to see London and Paulsen go head to head. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jan 11, 2013 |
Matt O'Connor Language Arts /Mr.Bronson September 12, 2011
Class : The Bat Cave

Independent Reading /Book Review
Summer Reading
Brian's Hunt

Gary Paulsen

Rating: 

Brian’s Hunt is unlike many other books. In the past Brian has been through many tough times. After surviving a plane crash, he was lost in the Canadian wilderness with just a hatchet. There he learned to be a part of the wild.

Gary Paulsen is also the author of the award winning novel Hatchet. Brian’s Hunt is the third book in the series. In this book Paulsen continues the story of Brian and his ability to survive.

This series is action packed. Brian is always facing new challenges and finding different ways to hunt and survive. For example he finds many ways to use his bow such as hunting, protection, and bow fishing. Brian also finds himself being attacked by moose and bears during his journey.

I also like the way Brian overcomes his problems. Instead of panicking Brian calmly thinks of all of the solutions he could use to solve his problem. He also uses information he learned at school. Most of the time it works.

I have now read all of the books in the Hatchet series. They are all very good but I have to say the original book, Hatchet is the best.

The books in the series are all a little different. Hatchet is about Brian getting lost in the woods and learning how to survive. Brian’s Winter was mainly the same except that he was learning how to hunt bigger game such as deer and moose. Brian’s Hunt is the most unique because in this book he is traveling north to visit a camp that he stayed at while waiting to be rescued. During this his friends are mauled by a bear and he must track it down and kill it.

I really liked Gary Paulsen’s technique. In this book he would put something that Brian must overcome and then slowly add more and more detail until you were just itching to know what happens next. At most points in the book I couldn’t put it down because of my own curiosity. ( )
1 vote ctmsmaoc | Sep 11, 2011 |
This book is dedicated, with enormous affection and gratitude, to Wendy Lamb-my friend, my editor.
He was in his world again.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494155, Mass Market Paperback)

The multitudes of Gary Paulsen fans (or more accurately, Brian fans) will be thrilled to find that the author has penned yet another story about Brian Robeson. Although Paulsen once claimed that he would "write no more about Brian," he seems to have been softened by the "staggering amounts of mail from readers" begging for more about the teen who is more at home alone in the wilderness than in the hustle and bustle of city life. In Brian’s Hunt, the 16-year-old returns to the remote woods and lakes of Canada, where he encounters a mysteriously injured dog. His experiences two years earlier, after surviving a plane crash and months alone with only a hatchet to protect and provide for himself (Hatchet, Brian’s Winter, etc.), have prepared him well to survive now. But can anything prime him for the horror that awaits him on an island campsite where he intends to meet his Cree friends?

This short episode is rife with the kind of gritty--even gruesome--details readers have come to expect from the Newbery Honor author. In an afterword, Paulsen reminds readers that he bases his stories on personal experiences and his extensive knowledge of the wild side of nature.

Confidential to avid fans: an intimation of romance amid all the rugged drama hints that this will not be the last Brian book, either. (Ages 10 to 13) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:37 -0400)

Two years after having survived a plane crash into the Canadian wilderness, a sixteen-year-old returns to the wild to befriend a wounded dog and hunt a rogue bear.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,239,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible