Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and…

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and Other Concerns) (2011)

by Mindy Kaling

Bossypants by Tina Fey (sduff222)
    Under the Duvet by Marian Keyes (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These two irreverent personal essay collections will particularly appeal to women, as both authors address topics such as their weight, shoes, and relationships with their mothers with liberal one-liners. However, Marian Keyes also speaks on topics such as alcoholism with more seriousness.… (more)
    Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly, Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why it Often Sucks in the City, or Who are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me? by Jen Lancaster (LindsayGentles)

Is this entire book about a girl lamenting about her past, present, and future body weight and size??

After reading more: less about weight, more about random, insignificant, 'dear diary' type recollections of her life before and while becoming "famous".

I'm disappointed I found this book so annoying. I wanted to like it. ( )
  hejmarguerite | Mar 12, 2019 |
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) is a collection of humorous essays from comedian/actor/writer/director and sometimes producer Mindy Kaling, most famous for her work on The Office and, more recently, her own show The Mindy Project.

I will admit that I have never actually watched The Mindy Project and only made it through about 20 minutes of an episode of The Office before turning it off. I literally cannot watch situational humor; I'm not misusing the word literally, either. Whenever a character enters an embarrassing situation, I am compelled to cover my ears and close my eyes and hum until it's over. (As an interesting note, this is apparently genetic - my brother and father to do the same thing, something I did not find out until I was 20). Unfortunately, much of Mindy Kaling's humor seems to be in line with this, as evident by the fact that Will Ferrell makes three of her top funniest moments.

So why did I pick up this book? I've seen several .gifs of the Mindy Project and thought they were funny, and in interviews, Mindy Kaling seemed admirable.

Unfortunately, I just didn't find this book funny. It wasn't bad, but it only managed to make me really crack a smile once during the entire thing. Most of it was somewhat humorous, but nothing laugh-out-loud. This is fine when you're writing a fiction book, but less so when you're writing a collection of comedic essays.

I added that caveat at the beginning because it may be that I just don't get her humor, and fans of her show and work on The Office will be rolling in the aisles, but it seems to me that the problem was a perennial one: most comedians just cannot make the jump between visual, face-to-face humor and prose. Ellen DeGeneres, whom I adore, wrote a book similar to this one, and I felt the same. It was random and disjointed. Kaling at least makes the attempt to give her essays some kind of linear progression, but it just never quite coalesced.

Overall, the parts that were the funniest were her asides, the actual writing itself, and her experiences during childhood. The first half of the book was actually fairly engaging, but then it just petered out toward the end, when it should have been getting more interesting.

For fans, you might check it out. If you're only passingly familiar with Kaling and thought you'd give it a try, however, I would skip it.

Popsugar 2016: A book written by a comedian ( )
  kittyjay | Feb 28, 2019 |
My daughter asked me to pick this book up for her at the library. While I had it, I decided I would read it. I really did not know who Mindy Kaling was before I started this book, yes, I am old.

This book felt like I was sitting with my daughter and her friends talking about their lives, or as another reviewer said, it felt like sitting in an LA coffee shop and chatting with Mindy for a few hours, hearing a bunch of funny anecdotes, and getting to know her a little better.

I read this book in a few hours and it let me know what this group of writers and actors went through. I really must watch "The Office" and perhaps The Mindy Project. It is funny that as I read these memoirs from this 30 something group, they all seem to have grown up with the same problems and issues and become comedy writers. Interesting. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
I want to be Mindy Kaling’s bff. She writes like I imagine she lives her everyday life. Loved her on The Office and The Mindy Projecf. ( )
  readingfiend | Feb 2, 2019 |
I didn't finish this one. I love Mindy Kaling and she is hilarious but this book was a tad too slow for me. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Dec 1, 2018 |
Mindy Kaling is kind of a dork. And I like her all the more for it.

She and her new book, “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns),” are an absolute delight.
added by bookjones | editThe Burg, Tonia Rutherford (Jan 4, 2012)

Kaling is a very smart woman who has worked her way from the low-rent apartment days in New York to owning a home in L.A. and breaking in to Hollywood's brutal inner circle.

This is a fun, light read that will make you laugh a few times.

Kaling’s prose is at its brightest and most memorable when she recounts her experiences in the entertainment world. Her confirmation that former “Office” star Steve Carell is an indisputably nice guy manages to simultaneously express admiration and exasperation. After a failed attempt to engage Carell in a healthy round of on-set snarking, Kaling writes, “Later I would privately theorize that he never involved himself in gossip because — and I am 99 percent sure of this — he is secretly Perez Hilton.”
added by sduff222 | editWashington Post, Jen Chaney (Nov 18, 2011)

Her tale shares some of the relatable, comically mundane qualities of The Office, but without the cubicle-gray bleakness of the mockumentary. Instead, the story is pink, fresh, lively, and distinctly female—but it isn’t driven by sexual politics.
added by sduff222 | editPopMatters, Sarah Watson (Nov 16, 2011)

The anecdotes go down easy, but have little resonance beyond the chuckles and knowing smiles they induce. The book’s strongest sections are those where Kaling dives a little deeper, as in the titular chapter, where she traces the familiar adolescent experience of leaving the safety of a clique she had less and less in common with for a new friend who shared and nurtured her growing love of comedy. Her struggles as a big fish in the small pond of Dartmouth College emerging into a vast, scary ocean of failure upon moving to New York, or her self-effacing recollection of her less-than-memorable stint guest-writing on Saturday Night Live are similarly endearing, and more emotionally resonant than bloggish asides like “In Defense Of Chest Hair” and “Why Do Men Take So Long To Put On Their Shoes?”

Mindy Kalingprimary authorall editionscalculated
de Wilde, AutumnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Duffy, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rendfleisch, ElizabethDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schur, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents.
Thank you for buying this book.
When I have kids I will largely follow how my parents raised me, because, like everyone else on the planet, I think my parents are perfect and so am I.

Collection of essays presenting the author's observations on her childhood, romance, friendship, and Hollywood.

Contents:

Hello. Introduction ; Alternative titles for this book -- I forget nothing : a sensitive kid looks back. Chubby for life ; I am not an athlete ; Don't peak in high school ; Is everyone hanging out without me? (or, How I made my first real friend) -- I love New York and it likes me okay. Failing at everything in the greatest city on earth ; The exact level of fame I want ; Karaoke etiquette ; Day jobs ; Best friend rights and responsibilities ; Matt & Ben & Mindy & Brenda -- Hollywood : my good friend who is also a little embarrassing. Types of women in romantic comedies who are not real ; All about "The office" ; Franchises I would like to reboot ; Contributing nothing at "Saturday Night Live" ; Roasts are terrible ; My favorite eleven moments in comedy ; How I write ; The day I stopped eating cupcakes ; Somewhere in Hollywood someone is pitching this movie -- The best distraction in the world : romance and guys. Someone explain one-night stands to me ; "Hooking up" is confusing ; I love Irish exits ; Guys need to do almost nothing to be great ; Non-traumatic things that have made me cry ; Jewish guys ; Men and boys ; In defense of chest hair ; Married people need to step it up ; Why do men put on their shoes so slowly? -- My appearance : the fun and the really not fun. When you're not skinny, this is what people want you to wear ; These are the narcissistic photos in my BlackBerry ; Revenge fantasies while jogging -- My all-important legacy. Strict instructions for my funeral ; A eulogy for Mindy Kaling, by Michael Schur ; Good-bye

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307886263, Hardcover)

Guest Reviewer: Jennifer Weiner on Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

Jennifer Weiner is the New York Times bestselling author of nine books, including Good in Bed, In Her Shoes, which was made into a major motion picture, and Then Came You. A graduate of Princeton University, Jennifer lives in Philadelphia with her family.

I know what you’re thinking: really? Another memoir-slash-observational-essay-collection by a first-generation Indian-American comedy writer-slash-sitcom star who shot to fame with a cross-dressing impersonation of Ben Affleck? My bookshelf’s full of those already!

Stay with me. Because, no matter how many quirky memoir-slash-observational-essay collections by funny ladies you’ve got on your shelves, you’re going to want this one there, too.

Mindy Kaling is an American original. Born round, to delighted parents (“Part of me wonders if it even made them feel a little prosperous, like Have you seen our overweight Indian child? Do you know how statistically rare this is?”), she grew up in New England, enjoyed hanging out with her family, excelled in Latin, made her way to Dartmouth and thence, as is decreed by law and custom, to Brooklyn, where her smart-ass jokes about subway rape netted her and her colleagues a private Town Car to ferry them to their slave-wage job as production assistants on a psychic-TV show on cable.

You’ll get the story of Kaling’s rise to a job as a staff writer and eventual performer on “The Office,” along with behind-the-scenes dish, several damning photos of Rainn Wilson, and candid shots of her on her way to various awards parties where she’d heard that Drake might play.

But, you say, we want more than that!

Dear reader, there is more.

In addition to the how-to-make-it-in-Hollywood saga (it involves breaking your best friend’s nose, onstage, in front of an influential critic, and working eighteen-hour days without complaint), you will also get delightful observations on body image angst (“Being called fat is not like being called stupid or unfunny, which is the worst thing you could ever say to me,”), the duties of a best friend (“I Must Be 100 Percent Honest About How You Look, But Gentle), a smart dissection of the women you will meet in rom-coms, and why men have it easier than women, in life and in grooming (Kiehls + Bumble and Bumble = Hot Guy).

It’s an autobiography crossed with witty observations with a twist of a shopping guide, and a pinch of Oprah-esque Your Best Life Now inspiration, told in Kaling’s singularly endearing voice. By the end of this book, you will want Mindy Kaling to be your best friend, and you will want her parents to adopt you. Since neither of these events is likely, or even possible, buy her book instead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:27 -0400)

The writer and actress from "The Office" shares observations on topics ranging from favorite male archetypes and her hatred of dieting to her relationship with her mother and the haphazard creative process on the show.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,772,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible