Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And…

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Mindy Kaling

Title:Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
Authors:Mindy Kaling
Info:Crown Archetype (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 240 pages

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling (2011)

Bossypants by Tina Fey (sduff222)
    Under the Duvet by Marian Keyes (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These two irreverent personal essay collections will particularly appeal to women, as both authors address topics such as their weight, shoes, and relationships with their mothers with liberal one-liners. However, Marian Keyes also speaks on topics such as alcoholism with more seriousness.… (more)
    Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly, Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why it Often Sucks in the City, or Who are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me? by Jen Lancaster (LindsayGentles)

A quick and entertaining read. Mindy Kaling, writer and actress on The Office, seems like a fun and normal person and enjoyed her book a lot. It's nothing that will stick with me long term, but I definitely enjoyed reading it. ( )
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

If you've ever watched her show, The Mindy Project, the humor in this book is very similar. So of course, I loved it. Kaling borders on self-deprecating and overtly cocky (so does that just mean normal?) as she reminisces about her childhood, tells of her rise to comedic gold (by way of The Office), and discusses random anecdotes that keep you laughing. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? furthers my want to have a friend like Mindy Kaling. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I've never been a big watcher of "The Office," but the episodes I've seen didn't make me a huge fan of Kelly Kapoor. I know it's stupid to assume that a character is similar to the actor playing them…but I do. I think most people do, honestly - who doesn't automatically think Michael Richards is Kramer? But I digress. The only books that have held my attention lately are humorous essay collections and memoirs, so when I saw Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me, I decided to give it a chance. I'd previously flipped through the book in bookstores and chuckled at the table of contents, but that was the extent of it.

Now, though. Now I am in love with this woman. We need to be best friends. It started when the book opened with her joking about her weight and love of diets. I love when women are up front about not being anorexic, because 'fessing up to that is something I have trouble with, for no good reason. As Mindy goes through her life, I learned that she used to write sketches for Saturday Night Live characters with her friends, or go through an event pretending to be someone else or a random made-up character. So many chapters made me think "I did that, too!" and feel pleased with myself.

Towards the end of the book, she reveals that she is a size 8. Not to get all size Nazi, but I was furious. She spent a whole book saying she was a big girl but happy with it, and she's a size eight? I understand you're dealing with skinny ladies in showbiz, but come on!

Then I read the next page and was in love with her again. So much made me laugh. A truly fabulous book. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Mindy Kaling is kind of a dork. And I like her all the more for it.

She and her new book, “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns),” are an absolute delight.
added by bookjones | editThe Burg, Tonia Rutherford (Jan 4, 2012)
Kaling is a very smart woman who has worked her way from the low-rent apartment days in New York to owning a home in L.A. and breaking in to Hollywood's brutal inner circle.

This is a fun, light read that will make you laugh a few times.
Kaling’s prose is at its brightest and most memorable when she recounts her experiences in the entertainment world. Her confirmation that former “Office” star Steve Carell is an indisputably nice guy manages to simultaneously express admiration and exasperation. After a failed attempt to engage Carell in a healthy round of on-set snarking, Kaling writes, “Later I would privately theorize that he never involved himself in gossip because — and I am 99 percent sure of this — he is secretly Perez Hilton.”
added by sduff222 | editWashington Post, Jen Chaney (Nov 18, 2011)
Her tale shares some of the relatable, comically mundane qualities of The Office, but without the cubicle-gray bleakness of the mockumentary. Instead, the story is pink, fresh, lively, and distinctly female—but it isn’t driven by sexual politics.
added by sduff222 | editPopMatters, Sarah Watson (Nov 16, 2011)
The anecdotes go down easy, but have little resonance beyond the chuckles and knowing smiles they induce. The book’s strongest sections are those where Kaling dives a little deeper, as in the titular chapter, where she traces the familiar adolescent experience of leaving the safety of a clique she had less and less in common with for a new friend who shared and nurtured her growing love of comedy. Her struggles as a big fish in the small pond of Dartmouth College emerging into a vast, scary ocean of failure upon moving to New York, or her self-effacing recollection of her less-than-memorable stint guest-writing on Saturday Night Live are similarly endearing, and more emotionally resonant than bloggish asides like “In Defense Of Chest Hair” and “Why Do Men Take So Long To Put On Their Shoes?”

Mindy Kalingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schur, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents.
Thank you for buying this book.
When I have kids I will largely follow how my parents raised me, because, like everyone else on the planet, I think my parents are perfect and so am I.

Collection of essays presenting the author's observations on her childhood, romance, friendship, and Hollywood.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307886263, Hardcover)

Guest Reviewer: Jennifer Weiner on Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

Jennifer Weiner is the New York Times bestselling author of nine books, including Good in Bed, In Her Shoes, which was made into a major motion picture, and Then Came You. A graduate of Princeton University, Jennifer lives in Philadelphia with her family.

I know what you’re thinking: really? Another memoir-slash-observational-essay-collection by a first-generation Indian-American comedy writer-slash-sitcom star who shot to fame with a cross-dressing impersonation of Ben Affleck? My bookshelf’s full of those already!

Stay with me. Because, no matter how many quirky memoir-slash-observational-essay collections by funny ladies you’ve got on your shelves, you’re going to want this one there, too.

Mindy Kaling is an American original. Born round, to delighted parents (“Part of me wonders if it even made them feel a little prosperous, like Have you seen our overweight Indian child? Do you know how statistically rare this is?”), she grew up in New England, enjoyed hanging out with her family, excelled in Latin, made her way to Dartmouth and thence, as is decreed by law and custom, to Brooklyn, where her smart-ass jokes about subway rape netted her and her colleagues a private Town Car to ferry them to their slave-wage job as production assistants on a psychic-TV show on cable.

You’ll get the story of Kaling’s rise to a job as a staff writer and eventual performer on “The Office,” along with behind-the-scenes dish, several damning photos of Rainn Wilson, and candid shots of her on her way to various awards parties where she’d heard that Drake might play.

But, you say, we want more than that!

Dear reader, there is more.

In addition to the how-to-make-it-in-Hollywood saga (it involves breaking your best friend’s nose, onstage, in front of an influential critic, and working eighteen-hour days without complaint), you will also get delightful observations on body image angst (“Being called fat is not like being called stupid or unfunny, which is the worst thing you could ever say to me,”), the duties of a best friend (“I Must Be 100 Percent Honest About How You Look, But Gentle), a smart dissection of the women you will meet in rom-coms, and why men have it easier than women, in life and in grooming (Kiehls + Bumble and Bumble = Hot Guy).

It’s an autobiography crossed with witty observations with a twist of a shopping guide, and a pinch of Oprah-esque Your Best Life Now inspiration, told in Kaling’s singularly endearing voice. By the end of this book, you will want Mindy Kaling to be your best friend, and you will want her parents to adopt you. Since neither of these events is likely, or even possible, buy her book instead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:27 -0400)

The writer and actress best known as Kelly Kapoor on "The Office" shares observations on topics ranging from favorite male archetypes and her hatred of dieting to her relationship with her mother and the haphazard creative process in the "Office" writers' room.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible