Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And…

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Mindy Kaling

1,257None6,279 (3.68)53
Member:knitwit2
Title:Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
Authors:Mindy Kaling
Info:Three Rivers Press (2012), Paperback, 240 pages

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling (2011)

2011 (22) 2012 (31) 2013 (14) adult (9) American (8) audio (8) audiobook (15) autobiography (25) biography (26) biography/memoir (5) comedy (49) ebook (23) essays (48) funny (13) Hollywood (6) humor (156) Kindle (15) library (8) memoir (158) mindy kaling (5) non-fiction (156) own (9) read (15) read in 2011 (10) read in 2012 (20) television (35) the office (19) to-read (48) women (11) writing (11)

Kaling has a refreshing almost naive way of looking at things. Think Tina Fey's idealistic self-deprecating self aware little sister. This book was absolutely hilarious. ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
Good grief. Have you ever just wanted to read a funny book and laugh? Maybe just be fully entertained for whatever amount of time your nose is in said book? Well I have, so I started reading Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling.

Like everyone else, I heard good things about Mindy Kaling’s book. I was convinced that it would be worth my time, at the very least. I’m actually not a huge fan of hers in general. The Office is okay, but I always thought Kelly was seriously annoying. I do watch The Mindy Project, but I don’t go out of my way to remember whether or not it’s on.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) was very well written. The stories were engaging and there were enough places that you could put the book down and pick it back up later, if you needed to. I personally didn’t want to put it down. Turns out, Mindy Kaling is hilarious. I think it was her frank storytelling and her absolute assurance of who she is and wants to be. Even the parts of herself that some may say are shallow, she totally owns it.

I have a whole new level of respect for Mindy Kaling after reading her book. I promise this is not a spoiler, but I’m going to vaguely reference something. My favorite part of the book was towards the end and was actually written by Michael Schur (creator of Parks and Recreation). I won’t ruin for all of you potential readers out there, but suffice it to say I was laughing so hard that I was snorting and “bothering” my fellow metro commuters on my way to work.

In case it wasn’t obvious, I was a big fan of this book. So, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy asap. I would highly recommend Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns).

Random extra thought: The back cover makes me chuckle every single time I look at it (both the picture and its caption).

For more reviews, check out reviewsinapinch.wordpress.com today! ( )
  ReviewsInAPinch | Apr 9, 2014 |
This was April's book club pick. I absolutely loved it! It was so funny I couldn't stop reading it!! As a huge fan of The Office, I was shocked how she felt about some of the cast. I loved her lists.

For the rest of the review, visit my book blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/69955.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Apr 6, 2014 |
A fun, quick read - worthy of five stars purely because the point of the book is to make the reader laugh, and I did. ( )
  ratastrophe | Mar 20, 2014 |
Mindy Kaling is kind of a dork. And I like her all the more for it.

She and her new book, “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns),” are an absolute delight.
added by bookjones | editThe Burg, Tonia Rutherford (Jan 4, 2012)

Kaling is a very smart woman who has worked her way from the low-rent apartment days in New York to owning a home in L.A. and breaking in to Hollywood's brutal inner circle.

This is a fun, light read that will make you laugh a few times.

Kaling’s prose is at its brightest and most memorable when she recounts her experiences in the entertainment world. Her confirmation that former “Office” star Steve Carell is an indisputably nice guy manages to simultaneously express admiration and exasperation. After a failed attempt to engage Carell in a healthy round of on-set snarking, Kaling writes, “Later I would privately theorize that he never involved himself in gossip because — and I am 99 percent sure of this — he is secretly Perez Hilton.”
added by sduff222 | editWashington Post, Jen Chaney (Nov 18, 2011)

Her tale shares some of the relatable, comically mundane qualities of The Office, but without the cubicle-gray bleakness of the mockumentary. Instead, the story is pink, fresh, lively, and distinctly female—but it isn’t driven by sexual politics.
added by sduff222 | editPopMatters, Sarah Watson (Nov 16, 2011)

The anecdotes go down easy, but have little resonance beyond the chuckles and knowing smiles they induce. The book’s strongest sections are those where Kaling dives a little deeper, as in the titular chapter, where she traces the familiar adolescent experience of leaving the safety of a clique she had less and less in common with for a new friend who shared and nurtured her growing love of comedy. Her struggles as a big fish in the small pond of Dartmouth College emerging into a vast, scary ocean of failure upon moving to New York, or her self-effacing recollection of her less-than-memorable stint guest-writing on Saturday Night Live are similarly endearing, and more emotionally resonant than bloggish asides like “In Defense Of Chest Hair” and “Why Do Men Take So Long To Put On Their Shoes?”

Mindy Kalingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kaling, MindyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schur, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents.
Thank you for buying this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307886263, Hardcover)

Guest Reviewer: Jennifer Weiner on Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

Jennifer Weiner is the New York Times bestselling author of nine books, including Good in Bed, In Her Shoes, which was made into a major motion picture, and Then Came You. A graduate of Princeton University, Jennifer lives in Philadelphia with her family.

I know what you’re thinking: really? Another memoir-slash-observational-essay-collection by a first-generation Indian-American comedy writer-slash-sitcom star who shot to fame with a cross-dressing impersonation of Ben Affleck? My bookshelf’s full of those already!

Stay with me. Because, no matter how many quirky memoir-slash-observational-essay collections by funny ladies you’ve got on your shelves, you’re going to want this one there, too.

Mindy Kaling is an American original. Born round, to delighted parents (“Part of me wonders if it even made them feel a little prosperous, like Have you seen our overweight Indian child? Do you know how statistically rare this is?”), she grew up in New England, enjoyed hanging out with her family, excelled in Latin, made her way to Dartmouth and thence, as is decreed by law and custom, to Brooklyn, where her smart-ass jokes about subway rape netted her and her colleagues a private Town Car to ferry them to their slave-wage job as production assistants on a psychic-TV show on cable.

You’ll get the story of Kaling’s rise to a job as a staff writer and eventual performer on “The Office,” along with behind-the-scenes dish, several damning photos of Rainn Wilson, and candid shots of her on her way to various awards parties where she’d heard that Drake might play.

But, you say, we want more than that!

Dear reader, there is more.

In addition to the how-to-make-it-in-Hollywood saga (it involves breaking your best friend’s nose, onstage, in front of an influential critic, and working eighteen-hour days without complaint), you will also get delightful observations on body image angst (“Being called fat is not like being called stupid or unfunny, which is the worst thing you could ever say to me,”), the duties of a best friend (“I Must Be 100 Percent Honest About How You Look, But Gentle), a smart dissection of the women you will meet in rom-coms, and why men have it easier than women, in life and in grooming (Kiehls + Bumble and Bumble = Hot Guy).

It’s an autobiography crossed with witty observations with a twist of a shopping guide, and a pinch of Oprah-esque Your Best Life Now inspiration, told in Kaling’s singularly endearing voice. By the end of this book, you will want Mindy Kaling to be your best friend, and you will want her parents to adopt you. Since neither of these events is likely, or even possible, buy her book instead.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:22 -0400)

The writer and actress best known as Kelly Kapoor on "The Office" shares observations on topics ranging from favorite male archetypes and her hatred of dieting to her relationship with her mother and the haphazard creative process in the "Office" writers' room.… (more)

924 wanted3 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible