Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And…

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Mindy Kaling

1,5561124,710 ()74
Member:alanna1122
Title:Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
Authors:Mindy Kaling
Info:Three Rivers Press (2012), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Already Read
Rating:***1/2

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling (2011)

First of all, the amount of praise that went around this book was pretty big. Mindy is kind of a big deal. I figured I would be in for a funny little ride.
In actuality, while I did find it amusing, I was not as impressed as the rave reviews led me to assume I would be. Kaling did a phenomenal job with the dry humor, but the book as a whole was really disjointed. Maybe it is because I read so much (and so little of this style) that I had a hard time with how random the book was... the chapters were individually funny, but the book just didn't flow. This turned out to be good and bad. The bad was that it annoyed me... I just hand a hard time getting going with so many different little anecdotes. The good was that it broke the book up and I was able to read it by sections. I kind of appreciated the humor more in a sense because of that.

Overall, I giggled and did enjoy the book. My favorite chapter was Best Friend Rights and Responsibilities. I laughed and totally related to it... then promptly emailed the chapter to my best friend. I gushed over how much it fit us and how different parts of the chapter focus on different parts of our long friendship (including that awkward part where we didn't hang out for a few years).

I would recommend this one to those who are looking for a giggle and some really light reading. It is definitely for those who aren't easily offended and enjoy dry witty humor. Oh, and if you're interested in Mindy at all, totally get this. I feel like I know everything about her now. Not to mention the awesome pictures scattered throughout the book.
  littlebirdreads | Feb 10, 2015 |
After reading and enjoying Tina Fey's Bossypants, as well as watching every available episode of The Office, I was super interested in reading Mindy Kaling's book. I can tell you now, she did not disappoint.

Before reading Kaling's book, I had read a few varying reviews and was nervous to move forward. But to be honest, I don't see why anyone would view this book negatively. No, it's not a story that makes you feel changed or enlightened. But it's not supposed to, because it's not a story. It is the life of a successful comedy writer and actress. I don't know what was expected of this novel by other reviewers, but I went into it with an open mind and came out having enjoyed the few hours it took me to read the book.

Kaling begins the novel as expected, reminiscing on her childhood and presenting stories relevant to who she is now and what she has accomplished. The book is laid out much more like a collection of essays on her life and experiences rather than a chapter book, which I think is very effective. We don't want to read a day-by-day account of Kaling's life, nor do I think she would want to write such a book. She presents us with anecdotes and lists that allow her comedic voice to shine, and make us feel like we've gotten to know her a bit better. She's not shy about liking or disliking her coworkers. She presents her life as it is, without trying to convince us of some kind of glamourous and shiny Hollywood facade.

And now, if I could just find a way to spend a night out of the town with Mindy. Let's be honest: she'd be fucking brilliant. ( )
  CarleyShea | Feb 5, 2015 |
It was a fun little book. No real depth, but it covers a lot of topics in a light-hearted fun manner. It was fun learning a bit more about Mindy Kaling. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
I don't want to start playing the "comedienne memoir favorite game" but I have read exactly two, and the other one was Tina Fey's and this is my second favorite comedienne memoir I've ever read. I don't feel bad about that either, because I kind of feel like Mindy herself would think "yeah, that's fair".

That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy reading this book, I genuinely did! I love Mindy Kaling so much. You have no idea how much. But strangely we have very little in common. She is very big into things like fashion and makeup and dropping comments about how not a big deal her weight/body size is two chapters after off-handedly talking about exercising. These are things I've never really understood, this kind of conspicuous femininity. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's just not something I can identify with. I think I might have been called a "tomboy" once or twice as a kid but mostly it's always been a case of "I don't give a fuck". I'll wear a skirt if I feel like it (I rarely feel like it) and I'll dress like I only shop at Walmart if that's the kind of mood I'm in. Sometimes I wear makeup to work, sometimes I can't be bothered. I get the feeling like Mindy Kaling would have trouble with these things. But I digress.

The thing is, I enjoy Mindy's comedy, and I think that's the reason why she wrote this book. To showcase her brand of personal comedy. And I really enjoyed that. I also noticed she is working on a follow-up book and I will be first in line to buy it (or on the reserve list at the library, I don't know, it depends if I'm a poor student again by the time it comes out). ( )
  sixteendays | Jan 25, 2015 |
This book was hilarious and I basically couldn't stop reading. I couldn't stand The Mindy Show, but I'd definitely read another book by her. ( )
  kyuuketsukirui | Jan 20, 2015 |
Mindy Kaling is kind of a dork. And I like her all the more for it.

She and her new book, “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns),” are an absolute delight.
added by bookjones | editThe Burg, Tonia Rutherford (Jan 4, 2012)

Kaling is a very smart woman who has worked her way from the low-rent apartment days in New York to owning a home in L.A. and breaking in to Hollywood's brutal inner circle.

This is a fun, light read that will make you laugh a few times.

Kaling’s prose is at its brightest and most memorable when she recounts her experiences in the entertainment world. Her confirmation that former “Office” star Steve Carell is an indisputably nice guy manages to simultaneously express admiration and exasperation. After a failed attempt to engage Carell in a healthy round of on-set snarking, Kaling writes, “Later I would privately theorize that he never involved himself in gossip because — and I am 99 percent sure of this — he is secretly Perez Hilton.”
added by sduff222 | editWashington Post, Jen Chaney (Nov 18, 2011)

Her tale shares some of the relatable, comically mundane qualities of The Office, but without the cubicle-gray bleakness of the mockumentary. Instead, the story is pink, fresh, lively, and distinctly female—but it isn’t driven by sexual politics.
added by sduff222 | editPopMatters, Sarah Watson (Nov 16, 2011)

The anecdotes go down easy, but have little resonance beyond the chuckles and knowing smiles they induce. The book’s strongest sections are those where Kaling dives a little deeper, as in the titular chapter, where she traces the familiar adolescent experience of leaving the safety of a clique she had less and less in common with for a new friend who shared and nurtured her growing love of comedy. Her struggles as a big fish in the small pond of Dartmouth College emerging into a vast, scary ocean of failure upon moving to New York, or her self-effacing recollection of her less-than-memorable stint guest-writing on Saturday Night Live are similarly endearing, and more emotionally resonant than bloggish asides like “In Defense Of Chest Hair” and “Why Do Men Take So Long To Put On Their Shoes?”

Mindy Kalingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schur, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents.
Thank you for buying this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307886263, Hardcover)

Guest Reviewer: Jennifer Weiner on Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

Jennifer Weiner is the New York Times bestselling author of nine books, including Good in Bed, In Her Shoes, which was made into a major motion picture, and Then Came You. A graduate of Princeton University, Jennifer lives in Philadelphia with her family.

I know what you’re thinking: really? Another memoir-slash-observational-essay-collection by a first-generation Indian-American comedy writer-slash-sitcom star who shot to fame with a cross-dressing impersonation of Ben Affleck? My bookshelf’s full of those already!

Stay with me. Because, no matter how many quirky memoir-slash-observational-essay collections by funny ladies you’ve got on your shelves, you’re going to want this one there, too.

Mindy Kaling is an American original. Born round, to delighted parents (“Part of me wonders if it even made them feel a little prosperous, like Have you seen our overweight Indian child? Do you know how statistically rare this is?”), she grew up in New England, enjoyed hanging out with her family, excelled in Latin, made her way to Dartmouth and thence, as is decreed by law and custom, to Brooklyn, where her smart-ass jokes about subway rape netted her and her colleagues a private Town Car to ferry them to their slave-wage job as production assistants on a psychic-TV show on cable.

You’ll get the story of Kaling’s rise to a job as a staff writer and eventual performer on “The Office,” along with behind-the-scenes dish, several damning photos of Rainn Wilson, and candid shots of her on her way to various awards parties where she’d heard that Drake might play.

But, you say, we want more than that!

Dear reader, there is more.

In addition to the how-to-make-it-in-Hollywood saga (it involves breaking your best friend’s nose, onstage, in front of an influential critic, and working eighteen-hour days without complaint), you will also get delightful observations on body image angst (“Being called fat is not like being called stupid or unfunny, which is the worst thing you could ever say to me,”), the duties of a best friend (“I Must Be 100 Percent Honest About How You Look, But Gentle), a smart dissection of the women you will meet in rom-coms, and why men have it easier than women, in life and in grooming (Kiehls + Bumble and Bumble = Hot Guy).

It’s an autobiography crossed with witty observations with a twist of a shopping guide, and a pinch of Oprah-esque Your Best Life Now inspiration, told in Kaling’s singularly endearing voice. By the end of this book, you will want Mindy Kaling to be your best friend, and you will want her parents to adopt you. Since neither of these events is likely, or even possible, buy her book instead.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:22 -0400)

The writer and actress best known as Kelly Kapoor on "The Office" shares observations on topics ranging from favorite male archetypes and her hatred of dieting to her relationship with her mother and the haphazard creative process in the "Office" writers' room.… (more)

924 wanted3 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,690,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible