Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And…

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Mindy Kaling

Member:alanna1122
Title:Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
Authors:Mindy Kaling
Info:Three Rivers Press (2012), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Already Read
Rating:***1/2

Is everyone hanging out without me? (and other concerns) by Mindy Kaling (2011)

I just really like reading books by funny, successful ladies who talk about how their lives are supposedly terrible and awkward, just like mine.
But I would probably give this a 3.5 stars if that was an option. ( )
  outlandishlit | Jun 9, 2014 |
3.5 stars. It's amusing without being edgy, entertaining without being cerebral, but not stupid or entirely "chick lit." I enjoyed it. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
I didn't mean to read this book. In fact, it's not my usual type of book and I had NO idea who Mindy Kaling is (also? I've never watched a single episode of The Office). I took it out of the library because a friend said a photo in it reminded her of me. So, I brought the book home, looked at the photo and left the book on the table, intending to take it back to the library the next day. Then my husband started reading it over breakfast, then he started reading parts of it out loud. Finally I had to say, "Okay, okay, I'll read it. I'll read it." And I did. And I enjoyed it. Even though I didn't know who Mindy was, have never watched The Office *and* don't usually read these types of books. So. If you know who she is, watch The Office or like these types of books? You'll probably love this one. ( )
  RhondaParrish | May 9, 2014 |
She's a fun read. Clearly a talented writer, some chapters were more successful than others. But I appreciate her self-effacing humor even though at times, she seems a little narcissistic. ( )
  ericasmithx | May 6, 2014 |
This may come as a shocker but I've never seen The Office. What little I knew about Mindy Kaling I gleaned from Tabloids Facebook. However, after reading this hilarious writing debut I'm all on the Kaling Express. Seriously, this book is too funny. Why did I not become a fan sooner? Kaling is one of those Hollywood starlets you could actually imagine having as a friend. She's down to earth, hilarious, shockingly normal, and has the zaniest sense of humor ever. This book is made up of short little essays about growing up a chubby Indian child, friends, college, favorite comedians, relationships, and more. It's got a little something in it for everyone.

A must read for fans of comedy, The Office, Mindy Kaling, the chubby girl next door and more. Truly hilarious and peppered with great photos and anecdotes. Perfect for gifts and book clubs :) ( )
  ecataldi | Apr 22, 2014 |
Mindy Kaling is kind of a dork. And I like her all the more for it.

She and her new book, “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns),” are an absolute delight.
added by bookjones | editThe Burg, Tonia Rutherford (Jan 4, 2012)

Kaling is a very smart woman who has worked her way from the low-rent apartment days in New York to owning a home in L.A. and breaking in to Hollywood's brutal inner circle.

This is a fun, light read that will make you laugh a few times.

Kaling’s prose is at its brightest and most memorable when she recounts her experiences in the entertainment world. Her confirmation that former “Office” star Steve Carell is an indisputably nice guy manages to simultaneously express admiration and exasperation. After a failed attempt to engage Carell in a healthy round of on-set snarking, Kaling writes, “Later I would privately theorize that he never involved himself in gossip because — and I am 99 percent sure of this — he is secretly Perez Hilton.”
added by sduff222 | editWashington Post, Jen Chaney (Nov 18, 2011)

Her tale shares some of the relatable, comically mundane qualities of The Office, but without the cubicle-gray bleakness of the mockumentary. Instead, the story is pink, fresh, lively, and distinctly female—but it isn’t driven by sexual politics.
added by sduff222 | editPopMatters, Sarah Watson (Nov 16, 2011)

The anecdotes go down easy, but have little resonance beyond the chuckles and knowing smiles they induce. The book’s strongest sections are those where Kaling dives a little deeper, as in the titular chapter, where she traces the familiar adolescent experience of leaving the safety of a clique she had less and less in common with for a new friend who shared and nurtured her growing love of comedy. Her struggles as a big fish in the small pond of Dartmouth College emerging into a vast, scary ocean of failure upon moving to New York, or her self-effacing recollection of her less-than-memorable stint guest-writing on Saturday Night Live are similarly endearing, and more emotionally resonant than bloggish asides like “In Defense Of Chest Hair” and “Why Do Men Take So Long To Put On Their Shoes?”

Mindy Kalingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kaling, MindyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schur, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents.
Thank you for buying this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307886263, Hardcover)

Guest Reviewer: Jennifer Weiner on Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

Jennifer Weiner is the New York Times bestselling author of nine books, including Good in Bed, In Her Shoes, which was made into a major motion picture, and Then Came You. A graduate of Princeton University, Jennifer lives in Philadelphia with her family.

I know what you’re thinking: really? Another memoir-slash-observational-essay-collection by a first-generation Indian-American comedy writer-slash-sitcom star who shot to fame with a cross-dressing impersonation of Ben Affleck? My bookshelf’s full of those already!

Stay with me. Because, no matter how many quirky memoir-slash-observational-essay collections by funny ladies you’ve got on your shelves, you’re going to want this one there, too.

Mindy Kaling is an American original. Born round, to delighted parents (“Part of me wonders if it even made them feel a little prosperous, like Have you seen our overweight Indian child? Do you know how statistically rare this is?”), she grew up in New England, enjoyed hanging out with her family, excelled in Latin, made her way to Dartmouth and thence, as is decreed by law and custom, to Brooklyn, where her smart-ass jokes about subway rape netted her and her colleagues a private Town Car to ferry them to their slave-wage job as production assistants on a psychic-TV show on cable.

You’ll get the story of Kaling’s rise to a job as a staff writer and eventual performer on “The Office,” along with behind-the-scenes dish, several damning photos of Rainn Wilson, and candid shots of her on her way to various awards parties where she’d heard that Drake might play.

But, you say, we want more than that!

Dear reader, there is more.

In addition to the how-to-make-it-in-Hollywood saga (it involves breaking your best friend’s nose, onstage, in front of an influential critic, and working eighteen-hour days without complaint), you will also get delightful observations on body image angst (“Being called fat is not like being called stupid or unfunny, which is the worst thing you could ever say to me,”), the duties of a best friend (“I Must Be 100 Percent Honest About How You Look, But Gentle), a smart dissection of the women you will meet in rom-coms, and why men have it easier than women, in life and in grooming (Kiehls + Bumble and Bumble = Hot Guy).

It’s an autobiography crossed with witty observations with a twist of a shopping guide, and a pinch of Oprah-esque Your Best Life Now inspiration, told in Kaling’s singularly endearing voice. By the end of this book, you will want Mindy Kaling to be your best friend, and you will want her parents to adopt you. Since neither of these events is likely, or even possible, buy her book instead.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:22 -0400)

The writer and actress best known as Kelly Kapoor on "The Office" shares observations on topics ranging from favorite male archetypes and her hatred of dieting to her relationship with her mother and the haphazard creative process in the "Office" writers' room.… (more)

924 wanted3 pay6 pay

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible