Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And…

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Mindy Kaling

Member:alanna1122
Title:Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
Authors:Mindy Kaling
Info:Three Rivers Press (2012), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Already Read
Rating:***1/2

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling (2011)

Bossypants by Tina Fey (sduff222)
    Under the Duvet by Marian Keyes (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These two irreverent personal essay collections will particularly appeal to women, as both authors address topics such as their weight, shoes, and relationships with their mothers with liberal one-liners. However, Marian Keyes also speaks on topics such as alcoholism with more seriousness.… (more)
    Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly, Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why it Often Sucks in the City, or Who are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me? by Jen Lancaster (LindsayGentles)

I picked up Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me because I wanted a funny read. I was a fan of The Office and enjoyed Mindy’s show, so with those things in mind I picked it up.

Mindy has a very dry humour, and sometimes it might come over a bit sardonic, but I enjoyed reading her story. She gave the reader glimpses of her childhood, the start of her career and her work in The Office with a few extra things here and there.

One thing that I didn’t exactly enjoy was the format of the book. Each chapter talked about a different part of her life and sometimes it was hard to suddenly move to the different time. Overall it was a quick and funny read. If you’re a Mindy fan, you’d definitely enjoy this book.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
Quick funny read. I love that she shared stories of how to got into the television business and stories about working on The Office. If you enjoy her sense of humor on The Office or The Mindy Project then I'm sure you'll enjoy this book as well! ( )
  KeriLynneD | Nov 28, 2016 |
I liked this book, but I wasn't crazy about it. It was recommended to me by friends and I think not being familiar with Mindy Kaling really hurt my chances at liking this book. It was short and if you're a fan of her work then it might be a good book for people who don't typically read, but it was just ok. I'm now curious to watch her show, but she just isn't my cup of tea. -Audio ( )
  aurorapaigem | Nov 23, 2016 |
With this book, Mindy Kaling writes a humorous memoir, which reads more like episodic little essays than a life story. Kaling talks a bit about her upbringing and her early career missteps and successes, but she also rambles on such inane topics as why men should have chest hair, dating a "boy" versus dating a "man," what she does and doesn't want to happen at her funeral, and various nomenclature for calling a person fat, including the various connotations of these.

Humor is a tricky thing, and one person's funny is not always another. To be fair, I don't really follow Kaling's projects, so I didn't know her humor particularly well going into this book. Some parts of the book definitely made me chuckle, but other bits didn't -- especially because it seems Kaling and I have different worldviews, particularly concerning traditional gender roles. So I couldn't always relate - or find funny - her idle observations on watching and loving "chick flicks," how men should always allow all women to enter an elevator first in order to be "chivalrous," and the "fun" of getting a mani-pedi before a second date with a guy. She also complains about being "fat" in Hollywood, without really 100% criticizing a system that allows a woman who wears a size 8 (below the national average of 12-14) to be considered overweight.

On the other hand, I was very glad to have read this book as an audiobook, with Kaling as the reader (with a couple of guest voices interspersed). Hearing her read her own words made everything seem more open and raw, so it felt very authentic and personal, even when I couldn't agree with her or find something particularly amusing.

Even though the book isn't that old, it actually feels a bit dated in places already, like when Kaling muses about how great an all-female Ghostbusters movie would be (check) and effuses on how great Amy Poehler and Will Arnett's marriage is (now divorced). The Office was still on the air, and The Mindy Project had not yet aired.

To sum up, I definitely found the book entertaining enough to elicit some smiles and chuckles while I listened along, although I also found myself occasionally shaking my head 'no' to some of her comments (like how "glamorous" a life the children of divorced parents have). I enjoyed the book enough for the light and funny break I needed from my darker and sometimes duller previous audiobook reads. But I'm not sure that I liked it enough to want to read her second book. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Nov 22, 2016 |
It had funny moments here and there, but it was much more interesting to learn about her than to find the comedy aspects of the book. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
Mindy Kaling is kind of a dork. And I like her all the more for it.

She and her new book, “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns),” are an absolute delight.
added by bookjones | editThe Burg, Tonia Rutherford (Jan 4, 2012)

Kaling is a very smart woman who has worked her way from the low-rent apartment days in New York to owning a home in L.A. and breaking in to Hollywood's brutal inner circle.

This is a fun, light read that will make you laugh a few times.

Kaling’s prose is at its brightest and most memorable when she recounts her experiences in the entertainment world. Her confirmation that former “Office” star Steve Carell is an indisputably nice guy manages to simultaneously express admiration and exasperation. After a failed attempt to engage Carell in a healthy round of on-set snarking, Kaling writes, “Later I would privately theorize that he never involved himself in gossip because — and I am 99 percent sure of this — he is secretly Perez Hilton.”
added by sduff222 | editWashington Post, Jen Chaney (Nov 18, 2011)

Her tale shares some of the relatable, comically mundane qualities of The Office, but without the cubicle-gray bleakness of the mockumentary. Instead, the story is pink, fresh, lively, and distinctly female—but it isn’t driven by sexual politics.
added by sduff222 | editPopMatters, Sarah Watson (Nov 16, 2011)

The anecdotes go down easy, but have little resonance beyond the chuckles and knowing smiles they induce. The book’s strongest sections are those where Kaling dives a little deeper, as in the titular chapter, where she traces the familiar adolescent experience of leaving the safety of a clique she had less and less in common with for a new friend who shared and nurtured her growing love of comedy. Her struggles as a big fish in the small pond of Dartmouth College emerging into a vast, scary ocean of failure upon moving to New York, or her self-effacing recollection of her less-than-memorable stint guest-writing on Saturday Night Live are similarly endearing, and more emotionally resonant than bloggish asides like “In Defense Of Chest Hair” and “Why Do Men Take So Long To Put On Their Shoes?”

Mindy Kalingprimary authorall editionscalculated
de Wilde, AutumnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Duffy, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rendfleisch, ElizabethDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schur, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents.
Thank you for buying this book.
When I have kids I will largely follow how my parents raised me, because, like everyone else on the planet, I think my parents are perfect and so am I.

Collection of essays presenting the author's observations on her childhood, romance, friendship, and Hollywood.

Contents:

Hello. Introduction ; Alternative titles for this book -- I forget nothing : a sensitive kid looks back. Chubby for life ; I am not an athlete ; Don't peak in high school ; Is everyone hanging out without me? (or, How I made my first real friend) -- I love New York and it likes me okay. Failing at everything in the greatest city on earth ; The exact level of fame I want ; Karaoke etiquette ; Day jobs ; Best friend rights and responsibilities ; Matt & Ben & Mindy & Brenda -- Hollywood : my good friend who is also a little embarrassing. Types of women in romantic comedies who are not real ; All about "The office" ; Franchises I would like to reboot ; Contributing nothing at "Saturday Night Live" ; Roasts are terrible ; My favorite eleven moments in comedy ; How I write ; The day I stopped eating cupcakes ; Somewhere in Hollywood someone is pitching this movie -- The best distraction in the world : romance and guys. Someone explain one-night stands to me ; "Hooking up" is confusing ; I love Irish exits ; Guys need to do almost nothing to be great ; Non-traumatic things that have made me cry ; Jewish guys ; Men and boys ; In defense of chest hair ; Married people need to step it up ; Why do men put on their shoes so slowly? -- My appearance : the fun and the really not fun. When you're not skinny, this is what people want you to wear ; These are the narcissistic photos in my BlackBerry ; Revenge fantasies while jogging -- My all-important legacy. Strict instructions for my funeral ; A eulogy for Mindy Kaling, by Michael Schur ; Good-bye

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307886263, Hardcover)

Guest Reviewer: Jennifer Weiner on Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

Jennifer Weiner is the New York Times bestselling author of nine books, including Good in Bed, In Her Shoes, which was made into a major motion picture, and Then Came You. A graduate of Princeton University, Jennifer lives in Philadelphia with her family.

I know what you’re thinking: really? Another memoir-slash-observational-essay-collection by a first-generation Indian-American comedy writer-slash-sitcom star who shot to fame with a cross-dressing impersonation of Ben Affleck? My bookshelf’s full of those already!

Stay with me. Because, no matter how many quirky memoir-slash-observational-essay collections by funny ladies you’ve got on your shelves, you’re going to want this one there, too.

Mindy Kaling is an American original. Born round, to delighted parents (“Part of me wonders if it even made them feel a little prosperous, like Have you seen our overweight Indian child? Do you know how statistically rare this is?”), she grew up in New England, enjoyed hanging out with her family, excelled in Latin, made her way to Dartmouth and thence, as is decreed by law and custom, to Brooklyn, where her smart-ass jokes about subway rape netted her and her colleagues a private Town Car to ferry them to their slave-wage job as production assistants on a psychic-TV show on cable.

You’ll get the story of Kaling’s rise to a job as a staff writer and eventual performer on “The Office,” along with behind-the-scenes dish, several damning photos of Rainn Wilson, and candid shots of her on her way to various awards parties where she’d heard that Drake might play.

But, you say, we want more than that!

Dear reader, there is more.

In addition to the how-to-make-it-in-Hollywood saga (it involves breaking your best friend’s nose, onstage, in front of an influential critic, and working eighteen-hour days without complaint), you will also get delightful observations on body image angst (“Being called fat is not like being called stupid or unfunny, which is the worst thing you could ever say to me,”), the duties of a best friend (“I Must Be 100 Percent Honest About How You Look, But Gentle), a smart dissection of the women you will meet in rom-coms, and why men have it easier than women, in life and in grooming (Kiehls + Bumble and Bumble = Hot Guy).

It’s an autobiography crossed with witty observations with a twist of a shopping guide, and a pinch of Oprah-esque Your Best Life Now inspiration, told in Kaling’s singularly endearing voice. By the end of this book, you will want Mindy Kaling to be your best friend, and you will want her parents to adopt you. Since neither of these events is likely, or even possible, buy her book instead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:27 -0400)

The writer and actress best known as Kelly Kapoor on "The Office" shares observations on topics ranging from favorite male archetypes and her hatred of dieting to her relationship with her mother and the haphazard creative process in the "Office" writers' room.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,663,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible