The Chicken Chronicles: A Memoir by Alice…

The Chicken Chronicles: A Memoir (2011)

by Alice Walker

A precious gem. ( )
  tamora | Jul 24, 2012 |
Alice Walker manages to tease a whole (short) book about her experiences raising chickens. I'll read with pleasure anything she writes and I came to like those chickens too. ( )
  gbelik | Jul 3, 2012 |
Yes, this book is technically about a Pulitzer Prize winning author turned rural chicken farmer, but it's also a heartwarming and heartbreaking tale about self discovery and learning to deal with the hardships associated with love/loss as we mature. It's more emotional than scientific or technical, but I appreciated how the author related her insights in brief, poignant vignettes and poetry rather than diluting the stories with long weepy narratives. While only a minor part of the book, I thought Walker's views on fencing in rather than out were particularly interesting. Bottom Line: This book is no "The Color Purple" but it is an enjoyable, compassionate and relevant read. A recommend for anybody considering a coop of their own and anyone else exploring the role humans play (and should play) in the natural world. ( )
  dele2451 | Aug 8, 2011 |
"Drink deeply. Live in serenity and joy." -Buddha
One afternoon, I noticed, as if for the first time, a chicken and her brood crossing the path in front of me.

"For the past several years, on a farm north of San Francisco, the celebrated writer Alice Walker has diligently cared for a flock of chickens. Over time, her blossoming relationship with 'her girls' developed in unexpected ways, becoming a source of inspiration, strength, and spiritual discovery. Her flock even helped Walker connect more profoundly with her own past as a girl in rural Georgia. The Chicken Chronicles is a record of this remarkable experience and an extraordinary document of personal discovery, political commitment, and the joys of relating to animals. Each of Walker's thirty-eight chronicles addresses her 'girls' directly, sometimes from the intimate proximity of her yard, other times at a great distance--from her journeys to Bali and Dharamsala as a witness and activist for peace and justice"--Cover, p. 2.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,814,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible