Life Itself: A Memoir by Roger Ebert

Life Itself: A Memoir (edition 2011)

by Roger Ebert

The film critic best known for his "Chicago Sun-Times" reviews and his thirty years as co-host of "Siskel & Ebert at the Movies" describes his life and career, including his recovery from alcoholism and the complications from thyroid cancer treatment.
Member:jetblack615
Title:Life Itself: A Memoir
Authors:Roger Ebert
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:60 Book Challenge 2013

Life Itself: A Memoir by Roger Ebert

Ebert’s path from only child growing up in Urbana, Illinois, to American’s best known film critic (along with his partner Gene Siskel is a true joy to read. I don’t know how this book escaped my notice for eight years. It’s a memoir that anyone can enjoy, but being a journalism major in college and having taught journalism, it held more interest for me than the average memoir. Stories about Chicago will fit the bill for anyone in love with that city. Ebert knew every square inch of the Windy City including all of the famous, not so famous, and infamous bars in the city. He hung out with many of the icons of Chicago including Studs Terkel. His interviews with all of the major Hollywood stars during the better part of four decades are fascinating. Ebert’s battle with cancer, which left him disfigured, is a major part of the end of the story. Never once, however, did he resort to sympathy soliciting as he talks about his condition with intellect and logic. His discussion of religion, including his own humanistic beliefs is candid and refreshing.
I really enjoyed this book even though, of course, I knew its sad ending. Ebert was a sensitive journalist whose writing skills were surpassed only by his faith in the industry he spent his adult lifetime covering. I highly recommend “Life Itself.” ( )
  DanDiercks | May 25, 2020 |
Roger Ebert tells a damn fine story. His memoir is full of fond and unflinching recollections, an essential kindness and wonderfully entertaining encounters with friends and celebrities alike. His attitude toward life, looking back after painful lessons and his life-changing battle with cancer strikes a deep chord with me, a kindred spirit and admirable man who was much more than just a "movie critic." Really loved this book. ( )
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
I enjoyed the parts about his life, but the profiles of various directors and actors tended to drag on. ( )
  bookhookgeek | Sep 7, 2018 |
Pretty enjoyable read. The title of the book basically reflects the substance within. The author takes us through his childhood, examines his parents marriage, his work and relationship with Gene Siskel, his relationship with women and his wife as well as other reflections. I felt it tended to drag quite a bit when it got to the interview section with movie stars--I would read other stuff for that information, and it felt like another book completely.

Parts of the book are really touching, where he talks about his relationship with his wife and how she has supported him through his career and his illnesses, all the while managing her own career. It seems Ebert has had a chance in raising his wife's children and is friendly with her first husband, which was nice to read about.

There doesn't seem to be too many regrets--Ebert accepts his life's choices wherever they may have landed--from his choices in dealing with his cancer to his relationship with women and other things. He doesn't seem too angry about how his mother's alcoholism seems to have changed her as a person, even though it was quite sad to read. The later parts of the book are also somewhat sad--he knows now that he has less sunrises and sunsets behind him than before him. But it has been an interesting ride overall.

An engrossing read, definitely made my flight a lot more bearbale! ( )
  HoldMyBook | Feb 11, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,443,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible