McSweeney's Issue 38 (Mcsweeney's…

McSweeney's Issue 38 (Mcsweeney's Quarterly Concern)

by Dave Eggers (Editor)

Other authors: Bisi Adjapon (Contributor), Ariel Dorfman (Contributor), Roddy Doyle (Contributor), Rachel B. Glaser (Contributor), Dan Guterman (Contributor)6 more, Adam Levin (Contributor), Alia Malek (Contributor), Steven Millhauser (Contributor), Nathaniel Rich (Contributor), Jack Teagle (Contributor), Chanan Tigay (Contributor)

Series: McSweeney's Quarterly Concern (Issue 38)

Great collection from McSweeney's. Favorites included "The Northeast Kingdom" by Nathaniel Rich, Roddy Doyle's "The Hens," "Rapunzel" by Steven Millhauser and Dave Eggers' "Chapter One." ( )
  NordicT | Nov 2, 2013 |
McSweeney's 38 is a delightful hodepodge (just they way I like my McSweeney's quarterlies, actually). Chanan Tigay's essay on Arab soldiers in the Israeli Defense Force was extremely well done, while Roddy Doyle's short story "The Hens" was both hilarious and disturbing. Nathaniel Rich's "The Northeast Kingdom" is a thought-provoking meditation on the "world's oldest man" title, and I very much enjoyed Steven Millhauser's brilliant retelling of "Rapunzel," as well as the tantalzing first chapter of a new novel from Dave Eggers.

Good stuff, as usual! ( )
  JBD1 | Nov 4, 2011 |
Another great issue from a great publication. I love when McSweeney's gets creative and comes out with an issue that breaks through the boundaries of "Literary Magazine" and gets us out of our comfort zone... but I am also never disappointed by their "traditional" magazine/book format, which allows the reader to sit back and focus solely on the exceptional writing between the covers. This more traditional issue had plenty of the quality content I have come to expect from McSweeney's.

Some of my favorite stories inside were Nathaniel Rich's "The Northeast Kingdom," about the pleasures and pains of inheriting the title of 'Oldest Living Person'; Roddy Doyle's bizarre and wonderful "The Hens," about how two women in Ireland come together to fight against poverty, recession, lackluster boyfriends, poultry theft and 'the real housewives of Dublin'; Steven Millhauser's "Rapunzel," which makes the reader see the classic fairy tale (and its characters) from every possible angle; and Dan Guterman's clever and satirical "New Life Cube." I loved the idea of having a little comic book snuggled in the middle of the issue, but Jack Teagle's "The Jungle" just didn't capture my imagination. I was, however, very pleased to find the first chapter of Dave Eggars' forthcoming new book (title not stated) included as the last story of this issue of McSweeney's.

Getting to the end of an issue of McSweeney's is always a bittersweet event. Now begins the long wait for volume #39. ( )
  bkwurm | Oct 17, 2011 |

Millhauser, StevenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rich, NathanielContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Teagle, JackContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tigay, ChananContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,321,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible