Five Signs of a Loving Family by Gary…

Five Signs of a Loving Family

by Gary Chapman, Derek Chapman

‘Five signs of a loving family’ is different from Chapman's better-known ‘love language’ books. It discusses some aspects of a healthy family life which are usually lacking in today’s society. The author has picked out a handful of traits that were observed in his family, and which he believes are of significance to the many families at the start of the 21st century.

It starts well, with a look at an attitude of service.: not just what parents do for their children, but at the motivation, and the importance of children helping with chores. There were some good ideas and suggestions, but I felt that some of the author’s suggestions were a tad coercive. This continued through the book. There were some constructive suggestions for encouraging children's questions and freedoms, but they were tempered with ideas about ‘training’ which seemed overly authoritarian to me. Some of the examples given were, frankly, unfair, and likely to cause resentment.

There are assessment charts throughout the book. It’s good that readers are not expected to buy another ‘workbook’; on the other hand, these assessments were a bit distracting in the middle of the text. I would have preferred them as an appendix.

The writing is good, some of the anecdotes are interesting, and there is plenty to discuss if a couple decide to read this book together. The author is a Christian, and this is spelled out in a couple of places; however the book is deliberately written from a mainly secular point of view, and should thus be relevant to people of any faith, or none.

This could be of use to families struggling to find a relationship between parents and children; even if readers don’t agree with most of the suggestions, they could well trigger some new ways of relating. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Gary Chapmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chapman, Derekmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 188127392X, Paperback)

We've all heard about dysfunctional families. Their struggles are the topic of TV shows, best-selling books, and popular magazines. Everyday something else that parents or children do is labeled 'dysfunctional.' Are the world's problems destined to become our own? How can we make sure we are part of the solution - not the problem? According to respected marriage counselor Gary Chapman, we can still make the dream of loving families come true. Just as bankers study authentic bills if they want to spot counterfeits, we can learn how to make our own families 'work' by studying successful ones. In <EM>Five Signs of a Loving Family</EM>, Dr. Chapman suggest that service, love, leadership, teaching and obedience are the hallmarks of lasting families. And he prescribes practical ways to help every family member nurture these traits. His words are powerful encouragement for parents and children alike. (Formerly titled <EM>Five Signs of a Functional Family</EM>.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:13 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,314,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible