The Beekeeper's Lament: How One Man and…

The Beekeeper's Lament: How One Man and Half a Billion Honey Bees…

by Hannah Nordhaus

“Award-winning journalist Hannah Nordhaus tells the remarkable story of John Miller, one of America’s foremost migratory beekeepers, and the myriad and mysterious epidemics threatening American honeybee populations.”

Make no mistake: John Miller is not a beekeeper; he is a big-business man. He moves his bees across the United States in climate-controlled tractor trailers, not in a pick-up truck. The honey he collects is blended and homogenized for the honey industry.

Although this book was as well researched and written as Robbing the Bees, I enjoyed it less because of the big-business perspective, enlightening as that was.

Read this if: you want an up-to-date picture of the health of North America’s honeybees (not good) and the impact of that on our ability to feed ourselves. 4 stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Aug 23, 2016 |
An interesting presentation of all the problems that the honey bee is up against in today's world. As a back yard bee keeper I found the information on commercial beekeeping to be particularly interesting. It's scary how dependent our food supply is on these few people who manage bees to provide pollination services and to survive the assaults of pathogens, pests and pesticides, etc. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
Hannah Nordhaus has written an easily accessible and fascinating book about bees and their keepers. She discusses the connection between bees and food, chronicles the challenges modern farming presents for bees, and makes itort clear how fortunate we are that there are people willing to carry on the thankless and difficult task of bee keeping. This book made me want to keep bees, sort of. It's not really a good fit for me since bee allergies run in my family. But I will be ever more thoughtful about where my honey originated and about what I plant in my yard. ( )
  nittnut | Mar 20, 2015 |
While it would be easy to poke fun at this book - the breathless writing, the newspaper magazine article style - I really enjoyed it.
The author uses an individual beekeeper to "star" in a tale of bees, beekeeping and agriculture in the US. It helps that her subject is eminently 'writeable' - a partially lapsed mormon with shades of Hunter S Thompson, who must be the most quotable beekeeper on the planet.
There is plenty of factual information about bees and beekeeping, and the content is particularly good in providing an historical perspective. I might have liked a little more basic information about the bee - I was left wondering about the different roles of the nectar and pollen collected - but that sort of background is readily available elsewhere. The crucial role of bees in pollinating certain crops was well presented - no bees, no almond crop. It was particularly pleasing that the author proposes no overly simplistic solutions to the many problems posed by intensive beekeeping.
It's hard to imagine a beekeeping book being a page turner, but this one hit the spot. Read Jan 2014. ( )
  mbmackay | Jan 1, 2014 |
This is a highly enjoyable and informative look at modern-day beekeeping. The author tracks a migrant beekeeper, John Miller, as he follows the flowering crops across the western U.S. with literally millions of honeybees. She provides us with a sense of what life as a beekeeper is like, and information about bees themselves. Well written, accessible and fascinating. ( )
  LynnB | Sep 17, 2013 |
What god was it, O Muses, who devised
An art like this? Where was it that such strange
New knowledge came from and was learned by men?
- "Fourth Georgic," The Georgics of Virgil
To Jeanele, who gave me words
John Miller isn't fond of death.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006187325X, Paperback)

The honey bee is a willing conscript, a working wonder, an unseen and crucial link in America's agricultural industry. But never before has its survival been so unclear—and the future of our food supply so acutely challenged.

Enter beekeeper John Miller, who trucks his hives around the country, bringing millions of bees to farmers otherwise bereft of natural pollinators. Even as the mysterious and deadly epidemic known as Colony Collapse Disorder devastates bee populations across the globe, Miller forges ahead with the determination and wry humor of a true homespun hero. The Beekeeper's Lament tells his story and that of his bees, making for a complex, moving, and unforgettable portrait of man in the new natural world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:53 -0400)

Recounts the experiences of John Miller, one of the foremost migratory beekeepers, who, despite mysterious epidemics that threaten American honey populations--and the nation's agribusiness--forges on and moves ahead in a new natural world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,497,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible