Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

Inheritance

by Christopher Paolini

Series: The Inheritance Cycle (4)

Eragon by Christopher Paolini (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Mind_Booster_Noori: First of the series
    Archie Wilson: & The Nuckelavee (Volume 1) by Mark A. Cooper (carltontomasso)
    Star Wars Trilogy by George Lucas (Hedgepeth)
    Hedgepeth: A young man is given the opportunity to manipulate great power and restore a lost order.

English (91)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (100)
"This book affected me. More specifically, it affected my grades. At the time it came out I was going through tons of tests at school, it was really driving me crazy. So one day I arrive home, remember that I have a quite important test in two days; I turn my computer on to print some information that I needed to study and then I see somewhere that the book was out. I have always been kind of nerdy, so the fact that I couldn't stop reading this for four entire days didn't make my grades that much lower, but they got somewhat damaged. Oh well, it was worth it because this book is perfect. This is one of those books for which you wait infinitely, then it comes out and you could literally kill someone to get your hands on it, after you get it you start reading it and you feel like you're coming back home after a really long trip; finally, when you're getting closer to the last ten pages, you start feeling like your existence is reaching the point where it's going to be pointless. For honesty's sake, I must confess that to this day, four years later, I can't bring myself to read the final ten pages. I can't bear even considering that I've read all there is about Eragon's story.

The book begins with the same fast paced, warfare filled atmosphere as the end of [b:Brisingr|2248573|Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)|Christopher Paolini|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1391443970s/2248573.jpg|3124969]. Eragon, Saphire and their friends are succeeding at bringing their minor enemies down, but struggling to discover how in the seven hells they are going to defeat Galbatorix when it comes to direct combat. There is a series of moves and counter moves between the good guys and Galbatorix's forces: kidnappings, rescue missions; infiltration, counter infiltration; little victories, little defeats. Differently from the previous books, where the chapters filled with action were interspersed by calmer chapters filled with politics, this book was just one chapter that left you breathless jumping into another.

I won't say anything more about the story, because this book doesn't deserve to be spoiled even for your worst enemy. I just wanna state that every single second of wait for this book was worth it, the attention to detail paid by Paolini is astounding; there are no loose ends at all, everything gets brilliantly explained. All the mysteries get unfold, all secrets revealed and, if you are a true fan of this series, by the end all your feelings get mixed into an imaginary messy ball of nostalgia and you don't know what to do with your life anymore. In a good way.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
It's impossible to go through life unscathed. Nor should you want to. By the hurts we accumulate, we measure both our follies and our accomplishments.

The Last Passage
In time, however, Eragon's heart slowed, and his tears dried, and a measure of peace stole over him as he gazed out at the empty plain. He wondered what strange things they might encounter within its wild reaches, and he pondered the life he and Saphira were to have-a life with the dragons and Riders.
We are not alone, little one,said Saphire.
A smile crept across his face.
And the ship sailed onward, gliding serenely down the moonlit river toward the dark lands beyond.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
I have to be honest-I mainly skimmed this book.

The grammar was terrible, he used words that should not used in sentences like that, nouns were all over the place: it was just terrible.

The story was pretty much a waste of time, too. Nothing seemed to happen. There were a few twists, most of them predictable, and NOBODY DIED. It was supposed to be a war, a fight, a really hard struggle. NOBODY DIED. What? I know it's hard to kill off characters, but people die. They die all the time.

I only read it, because, as a fan of the first book, I had to know how it ended. If I had hindsight-isn't everything better with hindsight?-I would not have read it. I would have been content to know that I didn't know. The whole series seemed to have gotten progressively worse after the first book. I really have nothing else to say. A big disappointment, could have been done better.

Paolini also seemed to try... TOO HARD. Really, too hard. Just, aargh. Waste of space. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
I enjoyed this last book in the Inheritance series.

The writing is a little bit immature sometimes but, apart from one or two particularly jarring passages, I didn't mind this too much because Paolini is such a good storyteller. Like the other books, I found this one quite hard to put down. I wanted to know what happened to these characters.

I thought that towards the end of this book, he had painted himself into a number of tricky corners, and the payoff from these 'escapes' was not always convincing.

My only gripe with the whole series is that it is extremely derivative. The main plot is quite clearly a mixture of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. As others have pointed out, many of the major turning points are almost directly 'inspired' by scenes in other books. The really big one I noticed was how he finally defeats Galbatorix - it's nearly identical to the ending of Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara. It was interesting to note that he credits Terry Brooks as a mentor in the notes at the end.

However, I don't want to paint an overly negative picture here: I really did enjoy the series.

Paolini has achieved something pretty remarkable, considering his age (at least when he started off).

I would definitely be interested in any future output by this author - and if it's set in Algaesia and continues the stories of some of the protagonists here then all the better. ( )
  Jawin | Feb 14, 2015 |
------
As with all epics, I'm really sad to see this end. The characters were really fleshed out and the plot moved particularly fast which was fine. Pasolini continues to make a world that is as complex as an saga while also letting it be possible to appreciate it without having notes besides you. The end was very thought provoking and it had some definite ties to the lord of the rings, I wish and hope for a sequel ( )
  Lorem | Jan 22, 2015 |
I really enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book. I thought it had a good number of twists and big events to really keep the pace going. Isaac had pointed out to me that the ending was a bit disappointing, and I have to agree that it could have done with some editing to the last 100 pages or so, but I was satisfied wtih the outcomes, even if they weren't always the fairytale endings I would have wanted for the characters. Do you like your endings spelled out for you, or do you like a little left to think about?

Karyn_Ainsworth | Dec 29, 2014 |

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Proietti, MichelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto Di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As always, this book is for my family. And also for the dreamers of dreams: the many artists, musicians and storytellers who have made this journey possible.
The dragon Saphira roared, and the soldiers before her quailed.

Not so very long ago, Eragon—Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider—was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon, Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now the fate of an entire civilization rests on their shoulders.

Long months of training and battle have brought victories and hope, but they have also brought heartbreaking loss. And still, the real battle lies ahead: they must confront Galbatorix. When they do, they will have to be strong enough to defeat him. And if they cannot, no one can. There will be no second chances.

The Rider and his dragon have come further than anyone dared to hope. But can they topple the evil king and restore justice to Alagaësia? And if so, at what cost?

This is the much-anticipated, astonishing conclusion to the worldwide bestselling Inheritance cycle.

The young Dragon Rider Eragon must finally confront the evil king Galbatorix to free Alagaesia from his rule once and for all.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,142,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible