The Chosen: Book One of the Portals of…

The Chosen: Book One of the Portals of Destiny (edition 2011)

by Shay Fabbro

Member:carod
Title:The Chosen: Book One of the Portals of Destiny
Authors:Shay Fabbro
Info:Ricashay Publishing (2011), Paperback, 372 pages
Rating:***

The Chosen: Book One of the Portals of Destiny by Dr. Shay Fabbro

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I only made it a third of the way through this book, then I had to give up. It was simply too frustrating to keep reading.

There is a race of underwater beings who live according to prophecies, and who have discovered portal travel to other worlds. They have learned the universe (more importantly, their world) is under threat from some evil race, and they must gather the Chosen to combat them. They send four teenagers (of unusual abilities) to different worlds to guide and protect the Chosen in those worlds.

Flash-forward like 20 years, and each of these Protectors has found their 5 chosen students, and they must keep them from harm until they receive the signs that mean it’s time (to save the world?).

The main character (perhaps) Protector is sent to an Earth-like world with magic, the girl is sent to a world of telepathic tall black-eyed aliens (imagine your typical alien image), one boy is sent to Earth of a very different wild west (maybe), and another is sent to a world of reptilian aliens (of course.). None of these are particularly interesting, but that wasn’t really the problem.

Problem #1, the main reason I couldn’t continue, is that there was simply too much going on. We see a little bit of this guy’s story, then we have to cycle through the boring stories of the other 3 before we get back to what’s happening here, only to do it all again (frustrating).
Honestly, I would MUCH prefer if the author separated it into 4 sections, or 4 books, (or 2 books, whatever), and spent actual time introducing the worlds and characters. I had trouble remembering who was who and what was what and this was frustrating.
The author tries to take you into the heads of way too many characters, resulting in me not caring about any of them.

Problem #2, it could use editing. Lots of editing. For example, in the first chapter, we get a few phrases that describe the underwater world. Then, in each chapter following (because it’s years later), the characters are reflecting on their home planet and thinking about... those same phrases.... I didn’t feel for them at all either, it was too soon for me to care they were homesick. (Even though I’m homesick this very moment, I felt no empathy.)

Other random things made the story frustrating. For example, in the world of the first guy, one of his charges professes his love to another charge (kind of), she rejects him, and as a result he runs away from home. (Not that this is unbelievable, but the way it was carried out gave me no respect for the character.) The girl is then overcome by guilt, and this is mentioned several times. Flash forward a little bit into their search for the missing boy, and the other girl thinks to herself that this first girl doesn’t seem to care that she caused the guy to run away. 1, it wasn’t her fault. 2, she was obviously feeling guilty 3, it’s been like 3 weeks (maybe. it’s hard to tell time.). This is honestly the point I realized I had to stop because the book was going to drive me crazy.

There are some good ideas in the story, but as is, it fails to work for me.

It might be a bit of fun for younger readers, being a fantasy novel with lots of kid characters, magic, and aliens.

(I read this as an eBook on a Kindle.) ( )
  Ignolopi | Mar 26, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Chosen: Book One of the Portals of Destiny by Shay West attempts to blend elements of fantasy with science fiction. The combination begs for more explanation. Being the first in a series the book was filled with a lot of background information that did not really enhance the story telling. The characterizations were good. The author stayed away from stereotypes. Unfortunately, the book ended just as there seemed to be some action beginning. I'm not a fan of this type of cliff-hanger endings.

Even with it's flaws I would consider reading more in this series. ( )
  Antares1 | Jan 23, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Try as I might, this book did not resonate with me. The combination of magic and sci-fi did not work for me and I never connected with the characters. I even found myself getting confusted as to what world I was on in what storyline. I don't understand why a mechanical race would need to go into a huge gravity well to get resources when they are floating around in outer space. You only need to go planetside when you want to eat what grows there, which they clearly do not. ( )
  Gord.Barker | Jan 17, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Chosen: Book One of the Portals of Destiny is the first book in a science fiction series with fantasy elements. A group of adepts called the Masters from an aquatic world called Gentra become aware an impending threat to all life in the galaxy. The Mekans, a robotic alien "species", is moving through the galaxy decimating worlds in their wake. Through a prophecy they learn that there are a few special beings, called the Chosen. who may be able to defeat these metal destroyers. The Chosen come from different home worlds which can be reached by mysterious portals. The Masters train Guardians to protect and guide the Chosen and send them to their worlds to await for the signs the prophecy foretold.

There are many interesting elements to this novel. The different worlds are described very well with much detail. The use of magic and psychic powers was engagingly described. The combination of science and magic was a bit confusing. however. Some explanation of how the "magic" works within the laws of this universe would have been helpful. There are many characters in this book, all well developed and interesting. But there were so many characters that it was difficult to become particularly invested in their fate, especially since many of them didn't seem to be terribly admirable. A dramatis personae would have been helpful. This is a promising start to an epic science fiction/fantasy adventure. There is a little violence, but no other content unsuitable for younger readers. ( )
  carod | Jan 3, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Chosen (Portals of Destiny #1)
by Shay West, Shay Fabbro .
I was given this book as part of Library Things’ early reviewer scheme. But, as you can see, I’ve been honest in my review.
A threat is on the horizon and many worlds are in peril; their future lying in the hands of a group of chosen individuals, currently scattered amongst the various worlds. Unaware of their future, these individuals are being schooled, and protected, by a group of alien beings. These beings await the signs that will herald the opening of a series of portals.

This is a multi-world saga. One world resembles a high fantasy biosphere full of inns and busty maidens.. Terra is portrayed as a dystopia; a world that has returned to its early, non-technical roots. The third world has a futuristic feel; being set in a sterile space which is peopled by clones. The variety and diversity of the worlds enabled the writer to cross genres. In addition, it gives the work, superficially an adventure tale, another interesting dimension.

For a tale of this type, the characters are surprisingly well drawn. Although, you may feel that you've seen many of them before; the wise pipe smoking sage, the silly lovelorn teenager, the wise boy who is yet to find his power, the cynical warrior/priest who learns to love the world which he once despised, the evil queen, etc., etc.

In fact, that queen is my main cause of concern. Firstly, she seems to be a stereotypical character. In addition, her royal town, and its back story, trouble me . We are told that this group of women had thrown off the shackles of patriarchy and formed a Matriarchal society. The town is portrayed as a tyranny, having a lustful queen at its head. We have seen this before. Captain Kirk, or some other male Starfleet captain, lands on a planet and finds that it is headed by a woman. The world seems to be peopled by semi- clad women. It always turns into a tyranny. It always has to be saved by men. It’s a cliché and it’s slightly demeaning to half of the world's inhabitants. This work sets up an interesting world and begins to ask the question- what would a female headed world look like? But, rather than giving us a nuanced picture, the writer returns to the tropes of bad science fiction.

This genre crossing book could have been an exciting, boundary crossing and thought-provoking work. But, the writer never pushes hard enough. The author asks interesting questions but answers them with stereotypes and tropes. But, saying that, if you want a good adventure story, and have a few empty hours, then this book is for you.
  Vikz.Richards | Dec 17, 2012 |

This title is being re-released through Booktrope Publishing Late Summer 2012.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:33 -0400)

The Mekan hoard threatens all life in the galaxy and only the Chosen, a select group chosen by fate, can fight these metal monstrosities and save those that call this galaxy home. But when one of the Chosen is murdered, the untimely death could spell doom for all. The Mekans were created to mine for precious resources. However, something goes terribly awry when they dig uncontrollably, destroying all life on the planet. The Masters of Gentra, keepers of the prophecy, send Guardians to guide and protect the Chosen, who hail from four very different worlds. When the Guardians reveal to the Chosen their role in saving the galaxy, their lives are cast into turmoil. The death of one of the Chosen renders the Gentran prophets blind to the future. The Gentran Masters are not certain the Chosen can fight the Mekans without the help of prophecy. The Chosen are not certain they can simply sit by while the Mekans destroy their worlds. This series will bring the reader face-to-face with an age-old question: How much of our lives are preordained and how much of our future do we determine for ourselves? Do you believe in fate and destiny or do you believe that your life is what you choose it to be?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Chosen (Portals of Destiny #1) by Shay West was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible