The Chosen: Book One of the Portals of…

The Chosen: Book One of the Portals of Destiny (edition 2011)

by Shay Fabbro

Member:carod
Title:The Chosen: Book One of the Portals of Destiny
Authors:Shay Fabbro
Info:Ricashay Publishing (2011), Paperback, 372 pages
Rating:***

The Chosen: Book One of the Portals of Destiny by Dr. Shay Fabbro

Saving the universe will start with a prophecy, but will need more than a promise of hope to succeed in the end when a part of it is killed.

Their enemy are the Mekans, who are a mining force that excel at absolute destruction in stripping worlds of all their worth. Backed by their immense size and ability to repair, the only way to take them out is by a more powerful force.

Four Guardians are selected to seek out and train the Chosen, as only they stand a chance to stop the Mekans. Brok was my favorite of the Guardians, as he definitely has his hands full. Jon was my favorite of the Chosen, as every time he used his dark power I braced myself for the worst possible outcome. Gwen was my second favorite, for the depth to her personality and her inner-conflict.

Shay Fabbro does an amazing job of bringing to life vivid, unique worlds and characters, and then bringing them together. Be prepared to travel to Gentra, Astra, Kromin, Volgon and Earth while you train to face your destiny. I look forward to reading the sequel, Shattered Destiny, to see the challenges that the Chosen face next.
  Musefall | Jul 29, 2014 |

Musefall | Jul 28, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I only made it a third of the way through this book, then I had to give up. It was simply too frustrating to keep reading.

There is a race of underwater beings who live according to prophecies, and who have discovered portal travel to other worlds. They have learned the universe (more importantly, their world) is under threat from some evil race, and they must gather the Chosen to combat them. They send four teenagers (of unusual abilities) to different worlds to guide and protect the Chosen in those worlds.

Flash-forward like 20 years, and each of these Protectors has found their 5 chosen students, and they must keep them from harm until they receive the signs that mean it’s time (to save the world?).

The main character (perhaps) Protector is sent to an Earth-like world with magic, the girl is sent to a world of telepathic tall black-eyed aliens (imagine your typical alien image), one boy is sent to Earth of a very different wild west (maybe), and another is sent to a world of reptilian aliens (of course.). None of these are particularly interesting, but that wasn’t really the problem.

Problem #1, the main reason I couldn’t continue, is that there was simply too much going on. We see a little bit of this guy’s story, then we have to cycle through the boring stories of the other 3 before we get back to what’s happening here, only to do it all again (frustrating).
Honestly, I would MUCH prefer if the author separated it into 4 sections, or 4 books, (or 2 books, whatever), and spent actual time introducing the worlds and characters. I had trouble remembering who was who and what was what and this was frustrating.
The author tries to take you into the heads of way too many characters, resulting in me not caring about any of them.

Problem #2, it could use editing. Lots of editing. For example, in the first chapter, we get a few phrases that describe the underwater world. Then, in each chapter following (because it’s years later), the characters are reflecting on their home planet and thinking about... those same phrases.... I didn’t feel for them at all either, it was too soon for me to care they were homesick. (Even though I’m homesick this very moment, I felt no empathy.)

Other random things made the story frustrating. For example, in the world of the first guy, one of his charges professes his love to another charge (kind of), she rejects him, and as a result he runs away from home. (Not that this is unbelievable, but the way it was carried out gave me no respect for the character.) The girl is then overcome by guilt, and this is mentioned several times. Flash forward a little bit into their search for the missing boy, and the other girl thinks to herself that this first girl doesn’t seem to care that she caused the guy to run away. 1, it wasn’t her fault. 2, she was obviously feeling guilty 3, it’s been like 3 weeks (maybe. it’s hard to tell time.). This is honestly the point I realized I had to stop because the book was going to drive me crazy.

There are some good ideas in the story, but as is, it fails to work for me.

It might be a bit of fun for younger readers, being a fantasy novel with lots of kid characters, magic, and aliens.

(I read this as an eBook on a Kindle.) ( )
  Ignolopi | Mar 26, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Chosen: Book One of the Portals of Destiny by Shay West attempts to blend elements of fantasy with science fiction. The combination begs for more explanation. Being the first in a series the book was filled with a lot of background information that did not really enhance the story telling. The characterizations were good. The author stayed away from stereotypes. Unfortunately, the book ended just as there seemed to be some action beginning. I'm not a fan of this type of cliff-hanger endings.

Even with it's flaws I would consider reading more in this series. ( )
  Antares1 | Jan 23, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Try as I might, this book did not resonate with me. The combination of magic and sci-fi did not work for me and I never connected with the characters. I even found myself getting confusted as to what world I was on in what storyline. I don't understand why a mechanical race would need to go into a huge gravity well to get resources when they are floating around in outer space. You only need to go planetside when you want to eat what grows there, which they clearly do not. ( )
1 vote Gord.Barker | Jan 17, 2013 |

This title is being re-released through Booktrope Publishing Late Summer 2012.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:33 -0400)

The Mekan hoard threatens all life in the galaxy and only the Chosen, a select group chosen by fate, can fight these metal monstrosities and save those that call this galaxy home. But when one of the Chosen is murdered, the untimely death could spell doom for all. The Mekans were created to mine for precious resources. However, something goes terribly awry when they dig uncontrollably, destroying all life on the planet. The Masters of Gentra, keepers of the prophecy, send Guardians to guide and protect the Chosen, who hail from four very different worlds. When the Guardians reveal to the Chosen their role in saving the galaxy, their lives are cast into turmoil. The death of one of the Chosen renders the Gentran prophets blind to the future. The Gentran Masters are not certain the Chosen can fight the Mekans without the help of prophecy. The Chosen are not certain they can simply sit by while the Mekans destroy their worlds. This series will bring the reader face-to-face with an age-old question: How much of our lives are preordained and how much of our future do we determine for ourselves? Do you believe in fate and destiny or do you believe that your life is what you choose it to be?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Chosen (Portals of Destiny #1) by Shay West was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,497,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible