White Heat: A Novel by M. J. McGrath

White Heat: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2011)

by M. J. McGrath

Member:amanda51
Title:White Heat: A Novel
Authors:M. J. McGrath
Info:Viking Adult (2011), Edition: First Edition, 1st Printing, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Arctic, Inuit, murder, mystery

White Heat by M. J. McGrath (2011)

Recently added byAbbyAddams, staci426, JaanaG, Claire13, lmyohanen, bookbroke, private library, walker681, fderby, razor87_

English (15)  Finnish (1)  All languages (16)
So White Heat may take place in the most far-flung locale of any book I’ve read this year: Ellesmere Island in the Arctic, part of the Nunavut territory of Canada. The main character is Edie Kiglatuk, who is half Inuit, and she is a hunting guide and teacher who investigates the mysterious death of one outsider (a man she led on a hunting expedition) and the apparent suicide of her former stepson Joe. She works by herself for most of the book, in true amateur PI fashion, and part of the time she works with Derek Palliser, a member of the High Arctic Police Service who also happens to be part Inuit.

The setting is key: the people, the society, the outsiders who move or visit Ellesmere Island, the land. McGrath spends a lot of time describing Edie’s travels during the investigation and what measures she takes to survive the cold, and those passages make the setting more accessible to someone like me who’s never been to the Arctic.

I only have minor quibbles with the book, and those are that Edie’s dialogue toward the end feels a bit preachy and that the pacing feels a bit slow in spots. I’m picky about PI novels because I’ve overdosed on them over the last twenty years. I go into a PI novel a bit skeptical that the protagonist can reach the conclusion on her own. That being said, I did enjoy this book a great deal.
  rkreish | Oct 30, 2013 |
Far from brilliant writing but fascinating in its descriptions of life in the High Arctic. ( )
  evaberry | Aug 21, 2013 |
I can't do it. The writing is sooooooooooo bad. It's just clunky description after confusing sentence. I hate the structure of it. This is what happens when journalists try to write prose. They should stick to their clear, concise style - especially for a G-D mystery! There isn't anything wrong with clear writing in a mystery.
  evforija | Apr 15, 2013 |
I found this book to be a good read on several levels...the main one being a fascinating look at the life and culture of the Inuit Indians of northern Canada. I was amazed at the determination of this group of people who not only survive the harshest of weather conditions but also deal with the hazards of society, namely, alcoholism and the problems it creates. On a second level is the mystery which moves the story along, albeit somewhat slowly. The protagonist is a strong willed and intelligent woman named Edie Kiglatuk who has experienced all the negative aspects of life as an Inuk, but once again conquers her demons to succeed in her quest to find justice for her slain stepson. I look forward to more from Ms. McGrath. ( )
  readyreader | Dec 14, 2012 |
Edie Kiglatuk is only half Inuit, a woman, part-time teacher and the best hunting guide in her territory of the arctic Ellesmere Island in Canada. A series of deaths, including that of her stepson, haunts her and when no one seems to want to dig a bit deeper, she begins to investigate on her own.

Slow to germinate but eventually working up to great suspense, the mystery aspect of this novel has its share of noticeable 'coincidences', but honestly, while the crime/mystery aspect is interesting, it pales against the wonderful cultural information dump in this book. The reader is completely immersed in the Inuit culture and community through Edie and McGrath's cast of characters. This book is the best kind of fiction: that of entertainment and education. Her details do get a bit overwhelming at moments, but really, what a fascinating book (blood soup or blubber breakfast, anyone?)

I will be interested to see what she does with the second book due out here in November, because we will have had this thorough education, and I think the mystery itself will need to carry the second book. ( )
1 vote avaland | Oct 11, 2012 |
Für Simon Booker
Während sie einen Brocken vom Eisberg schmolz, um Tee zu kochen, grübelte Edie Kiglatuk darüber nach, weshalb diese Jagdexpedition so vollkommen erfolglos verlief.

Investigating the murder of an adventurist under her watch, half-Inuit Arctic guide Edie Kiglatuk teams up with police sergeant Derek Palliser when she realizes that the victim's tour group was searching for something specific.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible