Fire Watch by Connie Willis

Fire Watch

by Connie Willis

This is an earlier version of "The Winds of Marble Arch". Only one story was new to me.
  Kuglar | Mar 28, 2018 |
The first and the last story in this collection are very good, but there's a lot of uneven stuff In the middle. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
I remember reading "Fire Watch" when it first came out in a magazine I took. I remember the power within the story. It still has the same power. The rest of the stories were new to me. From "Samaritan" written in 1978 to "All My Darling Daughters" written in 1985, the stories all bore the hallmarks of the author: a clarity of view, beautifully used language, and well-told stories that make the reader think.

A couple of the stories were deeply disturbing. That doesn't mean I didn't like them, but the story made me itchy inside my skin. Most were serious, but a couple were downright funny. "Mail Order Clone" made me laugh out loud; "Blued Moon" felt like it would make a lovely madcap comedy movie.

I'm a fan of Connie Willis, so it shouldn't be a surprise that I loved the collection. If you like science fiction short stories, I think you'd like it, too. In some ways the writing reminds me of Ray Bradbury -- the skill with which the scene is set comes to mind. The style isn't as lyrical, but is perfect for the stories told. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Sep 29, 2016 |
Short stories. Loved one, liked some, indifferent about others, really hated two. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
An excellent anthology of short stories from one of my very favorite authors. Some of them I'd read before, some were new to me, but all of them were excellent.
Contents:
* "Fire Watch"
* "All My Darling Daughters"
* "The Sidon in the Mirror"
* "Samaritan"
* "Service for the Burial of the Dead"
* "Mail Order Clone"
* "Daisy, in the Sun"
* "A Letter from the Clearys"
* "And Come from Miles Around"
* "Blued Moon"
* "Lost and Found"
* "The Father of the Bride" ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Connie Willisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bergendorff, RogerCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidd, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553260456, Mass Market Paperback)

Fire Watch collects 12 stories from one of science fiction's most decorated authors. Although the stories are thematically unrelated, an undercurrent of mortality weights many of the tales with a powerful sense of humanity's frailties. Two of the best pieces are "A Letter from the Clearys" and "The Sidon in the Mirror," both of which show people reacting to death in characteristically odd (and disappointingly human) ways. Fans of Willis's time-travel books, The Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog, will be delighted to find that the title story tells of another hapless Oxford history student sent back to World War II Britain to learn a hard lesson. Just when the book threatens to leave you morose and depressed, Willis reveals her wonderfully absurdist side in "Mail Order Clone" and "Blued Moon." Willis is a master of the novel, but her short stories are superb reading as well. This is a nice collection for a fan's library and a great introduction for those unfamiliar with her work. --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

This book collects 12 stories from one of science fiction's most decorated authors. Although the stories are thematically unrelated, an undercurrent of mortality weights many of the tales with a powerful sense of humanity's frailties.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,319,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible