Fire Watch by Connie Willis

Fire Watch (edition 1998)

by Connie Willis

890None9,903 (3.84)74
Member:xicanti
Title:Fire Watch
Authors:Connie Willis
Info:Ballantine Books (1998), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Permanent Collection
Tags:science fiction, short fiction, american, 2012

Fire Watch by Connie Willis

Recently added byDarylReads1, MissSos, darnia, private library, auldtwa1, ewillse, Auchick22, AEnders, PatienceFortitude

• Fire Watch. 1982
• Mail-Order Clone. 1982
• Samaritan. 1979
• Blued Moon. 1984
  SChant | Apr 27, 2013 |
I just read the title story, not the whole collection. I've been meaning to read Connie Willis' stuff for a long time, since several friends in one of my groups are very enthusiastic about her work. Fire Watch was easy and fun to read -- available online, here, by the way. You get thrown in at the deep end a bit at the beginning: it helped me to know that it was a story about a history student going back in time as part of their studies. But it was very readable, and reasonably easy to catch on to once I'd read a couple of 'entries'.

Emotionally, I didn't engage with it until the end, until the narrator saves Langby -- and suddenly I cared, quite a lot, and was hurt that Langby gets everything wrong...

I liked the glimpses of the 'modern' (for the narrator) world. Looking forward to hopefully seeing more of it? We'll see. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
As is apparently my tendency with short story collections, I had mixed feelings about this one. I loved the title story and “Blued Moon”. I enjoyed several of the others. I really didn’t like “All my Darling Daughters,” which came across a little forcefully as “all men are bad forever and ever amen” for my tastes. The writing was great for that one, however. [June 2010] ( )

Connie Willisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergendorff,RogerCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553260456, Mass Market Paperback)

Fire Watch collects 12 stories from one of science fiction's most decorated authors. Although the stories are thematically unrelated, an undercurrent of mortality weights many of the tales with a powerful sense of humanity's frailties. Two of the best pieces are "A Letter from the Clearys" and "The Sidon in the Mirror," both of which show people reacting to death in characteristically odd (and disappointingly human) ways. Fans of Willis's time-travel books, The Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog, will be delighted to find that the title story tells of another hapless Oxford history student sent back to World War II Britain to learn a hard lesson. Just when the book threatens to leave you morose and depressed, Willis reveals her wonderfully absurdist side in "Mail Order Clone" and "Blued Moon." Willis is a master of the novel, but her short stories are superb reading as well. This is a nice collection for a fan's library and a great introduction for those unfamiliar with her work. --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:20 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,418,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible