The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories…

The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories {Tantor AudioBook}

by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

English (50)  Dutch (1)  All (51)
This book was actually quite good! I would recommend it. ( )
  carmacreator | Jun 13, 2018 |
I'd read The Yellow Wallpaper many years ago in an anthology. I always remembered it but never ventured into looking up more of Gilman's writings, until now. And it was well worth it. Her other stories are charming, intriguing and witty, and may even be better than her most well known one, The Yellow Wallpaper .

It's a pity she's been branded a "feminist" writer, as this term can be so loaded and turn off many readers. I appreciate her stories and writing style as they are- without any particular agenda. I failed to find any misandry in her characters.

This collection contained only seven stories; I hope to find more of her writings. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
I originally read this story back in high school. I had this uber feminist English teacher who had us reading everything from The Awakening to The Handmaid's Tale. I was way more closed minded and stubborn back then (ok, I'm still really stubborn) and definitely did not share in her feministic views. However, somehow, this short story always stayed with me.

So imagine my surprise when I am reading this book and I come across the backstory as to why Gilman wrote The Yellow Wallpaper. A Civil War doctor use to prescribe what he called "rest cure" for different ailments (mainly mental health related, although they certainly didn't categorize it as such back then). For men, he sent them out West, to be outdoors with other people, hunting, being active, relaxing. But for women, he sentenced them to confinement. Told them they needed to be in an isolated, dark room with no visitors and no stimulation. And people actually accepted this!

Well, most did. Gillman, one of his patients, rejected the idea so soundly that she produced The Yellow Wallpaper as a result. (Apparently Virginia Woolf also met with the doctor and had a similar response). This fact made me think I misjudged this short story all those years ago. So I took to rereading it. With this new knowledge of how it came about (and I am sure a more mature and open mindset), I was able to see just how inspired, angry, and good Gilman's story really is. ( )
1 vote Kristymk18 | Feb 8, 2016 |
In the The Yellow Wallpaper a Victorian era woman and her husband rent a summer home for three months. She has experienced some sort of mental breakdown or depression and her husband, a doctor, has brought her out to the country in hopes that the fresh air and lack of stimulation will help her to regain her mental faculties. Instead, as we find out through covert journal enteries forbidden to her, just the opposite occurs. Each journal finds her deeper in her madness, until at the very last the true depth of her insanity is revealed to her husband.

I found this to be a very intriguing read, and more than a little disturbing. It is described as a a struggle to conform to Victorian ideals, but it read to me more like something we have been hearing more and more of in the news the past few years - post partum psychosis. As someone with experience with the less sever cousin, post partum depression, I felt I could actually relate to her. Sometimes life does feel like a prison that you have to creep through. As difficult as it is to struggle daily with the depression, I can only imagine how much worse it is for someone with psychosis to feel so locked in their mind that there is no escape.

For all its hideous nature, the story itself was beautifully written. Even as I type this I can see her creeping along the bottom of the wall, shoulder rubbing it away, her fingers clawing at it to rip it down. The words are sparse and very carefully chosen. In fact the sparseness of the words is what makes it so powerful. However, I can't help but wish it had been fleshed out more. This story could have easily been expanded, the woman's inexorable descent into madness given more depth. 29 pages just isn't enough to give the unnamed woman and her derangement all the attention she deserves. This is a problem I have with all short stories, they always feel somewhat lacking, and leaving me wanting more. I really wanted to give this story a full five star review, but it's briefness and my feeling of being cheated out of the full story bothers me just enough to drop one of those stars. It is however the finest example of a short story I have ever read and its inclusion in the first edition of the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die is fully warranted. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
Two wonderful stories in this collection were "Three Thanksgivings" and "The Cottagette". Exceptional stories considering the time that they were written (the 30s). Beautiful writing. ( )
  mysterymax | Jul 28, 2015 |
It is very seldom that mere ordinary people like John and myself secure ancestral halls for the summer.
This is a collection of 7 stories. For exact titles, see description.
This unabridged MP3 audiobook includes 12 Gilman stories. Please do not combine it with the title story only, or with any other collections except those confirmed as having the same contents. Thank you.

Contents: The yellow wallpaper --
Three Thanksgivings --
The cottagette --
Turned --
Making a change --
If I were a man --
Mr. Peebles' heart.
This collection brings together twelve of the finest short stories of prominent American feminist author Charlotte Perkins Gilman. "The Yellow Wallpaper," Gilman's best-known work, was first published in 1892 and represents an important examination of nineteenth-century attitudes toward women's physical and mental health. Written as a collection of journal entries by a woman whose physician husband has confined her to her bedroom, the story depicts the narrator's descent into psychosis as her confinement gradually erodes her sanity. This collection also includes the stories "The Giant Wistaria," "According to Solomon," "The Boys and the Butter," "Her Housekeeper," "Martha's Mother," "A Middle-Sized Artist," "An Offender," "When I Was a Witch," "The Cottagette," "Making a Living," and "Mr. Robert Grey Sr."

Enjoy 7 thought-provoking stories that employ charm and humor to examine relations between the sexes from a feminist perspective. In addition to the title story, an 1892 classic that recounts a woman's descent into madness, this collection includes such masterful stories as "Cottagette," "Turned," "Mr. Peebles' Heart," and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:36 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,172,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible