A Marriage of Inconvenience by Susanna…

A Marriage of Inconvenience (edition 2011)

by Susanna Fraser

Member:ktleyed
Title:A Marriage of Inconvenience
Authors:Susanna Fraser
Info:Carina Press (2011), Kindle Edition, 266 pages
Tags:2012, regency romance, kindle

A Marriage of Inconvenience by Susanna Fraser

I loved the practical problem solving and relationships in this book. Won't supplant THE SHADOW AND THE STAR as my "realistic virgins" favorite, but very well written. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
I loved this story of poor relation, Lucy Jones, who is secretly engaged to her cousin Sebastian, who asks her to marry him all of a sudden and clear out of the blue. But while staying at a castle for Sebastian's sister's wedding, she meets James Wright-Gordon who confuses her. She is attracted to him, but she must be loyal to her secret fiance, Sebastian, who is acting strangely himself. He seems to have taken a fancy for James' heiress sister, Anna (who we read about in the 2nd book in the series, which I loved) and asks her to marry him, dumping Lucy! It all gets very confusing and - alarming, but I loved it! Kind and wonderful James jumps to an awful conclusion about Lucy and acts like the biggest ass for a while, and it was rather angsty, but all ends well, despite the tears in my eyes. This is a worthwhile series, despite the fact I read the 2nd book in it first, instead of in the right order, though I think it helped overall in appreciating the characters and their plight. ( )
  ktleyed | Dec 31, 2012 |
This is a book difficult to rate because it went from a keeper to a wall banger to an enganging read only to end as just OK. I don't feel like saying much about the plot, since the description here in Goodreads says it all: The heroine gets secretly engaged to her favorite cousin but then he meets the hero's sister, jilts her for the rich-chick and the hero and heroine who have been friends so far, get caught in a compromising position and forced to wed.The first half/part of the book was perfect. The part where Lucy and James get better acquainted with each other, the friendship that slowly turns to attraction, Lucy's feelings of guilt since she's betrothed to another, James' admiration of Lucy's strength and courage, all were exquisitely done. I felt their attraction, their tenderness, their misgivings, their hesitation, their passion. And then, they were forced to marry and everything went downhill. Suddenly, Lucy transformed from a calm, steady, intelligent and self-possessed heroine to a frightened, insecure, self-questioning woman that couldn't believe she was worthy of being a viscountess. On top of that, for a woman with enough passion and sufficient lack of self-control to get caught in 'flagrante delicto', she suddenly develops so much self control that she "can't let herself go" during the physical act and have an orgasm. At that point and for the following 60 pages or so, the whole focus of the book turned to whether Lucy would have an orgasm or not. She was frustrated, her husband was frustrated and this poor reader was even more frustrated than both of them.However, eventually Lucy did get an orgasm -hallelujah!- and the plot could move forward once more. I really liked this part of the book as well, where a big misunderstanding forces our heroes apart and threatens their newfound happiness. I found their reactions realistic, their angst heartbreaking and was looking forward to their reconciliation. And since this a romance, of course there was one. It left me however somewhat disappointed. The ending in my opinion lacked oomph, a certain passion, a feeling that those two were really indispensable to each other instead of just a good match. Though those two were well suited, I read romances for that rare smoldering heat and passion that are not easily met in real life; Not for the understanding and tenderness that's so often met in most happy marriages anyway. But that might just be me after all. I can't help but wishing that the ending was stronger though.So, 3 stars for the second half and 5 for the first, result in a total of 4 stars. Still, I can't help but feel saddened for the feeling of lost potential in this one. I did like the author's writing style so much though, that I'll probably try more books of hers in the future. ( )
  faniP | Aug 24, 2012 |
A MARRIAGE OF INCONVENIENCE by Susanna Fraser is an interesting historical romance set in 1809 Sussex, England.It is written with details and depth. The plot is very interesting and the characters will capture your hearts. Lucy, an orphan with two younger siblings is living with relatives. She has quiet intelligence and is powerless to her flight to find a good husband and to be able to take care of her two younger siblings. James Wright-Gordon, is handsome,sexy, wealthy and not looking to find a bride.But enter Lucy...This is a story of true love,betrayal,secrets,passion,sweet sensuality,
romance,poverty,injustice and a marriage of inconvenience. While James and Lucy are brought together through a wedding party,they will find they are attracted to each other.
Sebastin,Lucy's cousin who has a dangerous secrets asks Lucy to marry him but to keep it secret and Lucy agrees because she needs to think of her brother's future. Anna,James' beloved younger sister who Sebastin asks to marry him also,then denounces his engagement to Lucy. This is a love story of four people who lives will change forever,some will have regrets,some will live with contentment,happiness and love. While others will live with regrets. A great summer read of love,abandonment, regrets,sacrifice and happiness.This book was received for the purpose of review from Net Galley and the publisher and details can be found at Carina Press,and My Book Addiction Reviews. ( )
  tarenn | Jun 27, 2011 |
I like the way humor was intermingled with more serious parts in A MARRIAGE OF INCONVENIENCE. Lucy and James's bantering helped lighten the mood and provided a realistic outlook of married couples' conversations.

There is a scene in which Lucy tells her life story to James that seemed improbable to me as you usually do not tell a virtual stranger personal details about your life. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed reading A MARRIAGE OF INCONVENIENCE. The story's plot is fast moving and there are no lapses. In nearly every scene, there is action and suspense.

Overall, I'd give A MARRIAGE OF INCONVENIENCE high marks. The story is enjoyable and readers can pick up bits and pieces of historical facts. A well-researched book, this is definitely one I'll re-read. ( )
  Sugarpeach | Jun 25, 2011 |

Susanna Fraser is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,983,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible