Follow the River by James Alexander Thom

Follow the River (1981)

by James Alexander Thom

What a great read and so unexpected. Never heard of this author before.
First of all I did not know what this book was about so did not know it was based on a true story.

So to me this book could have had many different scenarios and outcomes and I think that was why it was such a great read for me.

Yes it is cruel but so were the days back then and by the way read some true crime and you know people are still as cruel probably more so now.

There were a lot of scenarios in my mind thanks to the great writing.
Like I thought she would fall in love with the Shawnee chief because there was some attraction between them. Then when she ran away I still thought he would catch her, yes it is a good thing to not know the real ending cause it was fun to think up all those ways her story could end.

This author is very good in making you feel you are there. Not that I was happy to feel like I was there with a crazy woman who wanted to eat me. ;)

It is hard to write about this and not spoiler. This is a book I want my friends to read and I want tot talk about.

It felt like a great ride and I read it pretty quickly.
Highly recommend this book for people who like historical fiction and/or enjoy true stories or survivor stories. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
This book was amazing in so many ways. It was recommended to me by my mother as this is one of her favorites. I really enjoyed the story and would highly recommend. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
The trek of two women through the wilderness is both truly terrible and terribly true. There is much suffering through the narrative, with a harsh beginning in the first chapter of an Indian attack on a peaceful settlement. This read is similar to "The Hiding Place" and "Unbroken" in that the reader vividly and vicariously experiences terrible ordeals of human suffering. Thom fleshed the narrative from extensive research, both from original documents and personal treks he endured along the same route as his primary characters. A good read for the raw American enthusiast. ( )
  Meghanista | Sep 12, 2015 |
One of my all time favorites. I love how she is smart and strong and will do anything to survive. ( )
  Rembacz | Jul 3, 2014 |
Outstanding book! If it wasn't a true story it would be hard to believe! To be captured by Indians and having them take your two sons and having to leave your baby daughter so you could escape is heart breaking! To travel hundreds of miles with no provisions and only one blanket between two people and having your shoes wear out and being barefoot in the winter! Not many people, let alone a woman could do such a thing. ( )
  GrannyNanny | Feb 2, 2014 |
Ze huiverde, ondanks de hitte van de haard, en keek weer naar de zonnige rechthoek van de deuropening.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345338545, Mass Market Paperback)

Mary Ingles was twenty-three, married, and pregnant, when Shawnee Indians invaded her peaceful Virginia settlement, killed the men and women, then took her captive. For months, she lived with them, unbroken, until she escaped, and followed a thousand mile trail to freedom--an extraordinary story of a pioneer woman who risked her life to return to her people.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:19 -0400)

After being captured in an Indian raid during 1755, Mary Draper Ingles follows the Ohio River for 1,000 miles to return home to Virginia by herself.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,800,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible