Bad Island by Doug Tennapel

Bad Island (edition 2011)

by Doug Tennapel

Member:dcoward
Title:Bad Island
Authors:Doug Tennapel
Info:GRAPHIX (2011), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:YA, Graphic Novel

Bad Island by Doug TenNapel

I randomly selected this book from the shelves of my local library's graphic novel section. It just looked like it might be a fun read. I almost did not read it because I got so many graphic novels out at once that I nearly returned it because I did not think I would get around to it, but I decided to read it quickly before heading out to the library. I am sure glad that I gave it that opportunity because this truly is a unique book that deserves to be read.

The story revolves primarily around a family that goes on a boating trip and what happens after the sail off on that trip. The story itself takes many twists and turns. You are never sure what exactly is occurring because it leaps between two time periods. The ending makes logical sense and messes with your sense of reality and shows how assumptions can make you wrong. I found the writing and dialogue to be entertaining and TenNapel was able to give each of the family members a unique voice that made them stand out on their own. He also provided enough comic relief in the story to offset any moments that may have been a bit "overwhelming" for a younger audience. This mixture is what kept me reading and is why I ultimately have to give this particular book five stars. When you keep a mixture to the point both an adult and a child can enjoy it you deserve accolades.

The artwork is a little "saturday morning cartoon" in my opinion, but that does not distract from the overall message of the story. In a sense the art style while cartoony adds to what I was mentioning earlier about TenNapel being able to mix in adult and child together. The artwork can really draw in a child, while being stylized enough for a mature audience as well. This was a finely crafted and well-drawn story that I would recommend to people that want to have their sense of perception and assumptions messed with. You will be at the end of this book going "Yes I shouldn't have just assumed" and you will be happy that you read the book. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Typically magical TenNapel tale of a family who crashes on a mysterious island full of monsters, and how it connects to a story of giants and monsters. Good, but not my favorite work of his by a long shot. ( )
  blurble | Aug 25, 2014 |
The line between entertainment for children and adults is blurry. Parents read Harry Potter and other young adult fiction, and most animated films are entertaining for entire families. So I approached Bad Island, a book that was recommended by a 20 something salesman at The Lonely Planet for my 8 year old son, with high expectations. I was not disappointed. Bad Island is a graphic novel that toggles between two stories, both about the importance of family (one human and one alien). Though they have their disagreements and infighting, they remain loyal and loving to one another and go to great lengths to protect each other against malevolent forces. The illustrations are as powerful as the storyline and the morals. Definitely glad my son read this powerful story about a family sticking together against great odds. ( )
  OccassionalRead | Mar 7, 2014 |
Bad Island by Doug TenNapel is typical TenNapel — a family crisis combined with weird events. Here the crisis is a child feeling the need to run away from home.

In space, a warrior's son runs for reasons explained later. On Earth, a father takes his family on a boating trip to keep his children close. Their boat, though, is damaged in a storm and they are shipwrecked.

Much of Bad Island is spent on the family trying to figure out where they are and the secrets behind the island. Meanwhile, the reader is trying to figure out how the island story meshes with the story of the young space warrior.

If you like complex, parallel plots in a graphic novel format, you will like Bad Island. If you prefer something more straight forward, give this one a pass. ( )
  pussreboots | Feb 27, 2014 |
totally NOT my favorite Doug Tennapel. I think I enjoyed Monster Zoo or Ghostpolis better. I thought the storyline was very unique. I'd definitely recommend it though. ( )
  GR8inD8N | Feb 27, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to Ray Harryhausen.
Another world, another time...

Something on this island is up to no good . . .

When Reese is forced to go on a boating trip with his family, the last thing he expects is to be shipwrecked on an island-especially one teeming with weird plants and animals. But what starts out as simply a bad vacation turns into a terrible one, as the castaways must find a way to escape while dodging the island's dangerous inhabitants. With few resources and a mysterious entity on the hunt, each secret unlocked could save them . . . or spell their doom. One thing Reese knows for sure: This is one Bad Island.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:22 -0400)

Lyle, Karen, Janie, and Reese must find a way off an island while they dodge strange and dangerous things on the island.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,277,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible