Sacrifice (Crave (Quality)) by Laura J.…

Sacrifice (Crave (Quality)) (edition 2011)

by Laura J. Burns, Melinda Metz

Member:Cassandrabookblogger
Title:Sacrifice (Crave (Quality))
Authors:Laura J. Burns
Other authors:Melinda Metz
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***

Sacrifice by Laura J. Burns

Come by my blog, Forever Lost in Books, for MORE reviews, giveaways, interviews and memes!

My (High!) Opinion : Sacrifice was a thrilling sequel and last novel in the series Crave. It was great and awesome to read.

I commanded this book via Internet (Chapters/Indigo) about two weeks ago, and I was thrilled to get it yesterday in the mail!! I squealed and did a happy dance :

I was sooooo happy! I started reading it right away (after going through a hard choice of what book I should start with, since I had 4 other books), and I read as much as I could as fast I could. I finished it at school, and the end had me happy; I loved the way it ended.

Gabriel had me surprised *spoiler* I didn't think he would even be able to kill Sam. And, I mean, it just pops up! I wonder why the author didn't mention it before, they should have! *okay, the spoiler is done!* I really didn't like that part! I disliked how Ernst was the problem, how he had to hold a kind of grudge over Shay and her mom because of his dead lover... I mean, really? Selfish much ?*sigh*

I thought Shay kind of grew up in this book and took responsibilities. Before, she was sick girl; the girl everyone helped and didn't want anyone to see hurting. Now, in the book, she took responsibilities and became a kind of woman.

The writing of the book was good and entertaining. It was easy to read; I read it really quickly.

I like the cover; it's cute and beautiful.

4/5 stars! ( )
  ccathee17c | Jun 7, 2013 |
Leaving off where Crave left off. Gabriel's vampire family isn't accepting of Shay coming to live with them. Once at the lab compound of Gabriel's family she is imprisoned. Even if his family doesn't accept Shay being half-human-vampire Gabriel knows he loves her and isn't going to let anyone including his family hurt her.Filled with some of the previous nove'ls characters as well as new ones makes it even more of an appreciated read. We are also introduced to characters mentioned during Gabriel's ealier life. While Sacrifice is the sequel to Crave it isn't as compelling as its pedecessor. The reasons being fom a surpising turn of events in the end that don't add up and some loss of momentum in the overall story. Would still recommned reading if you enjoyed Crave. Even so, Sacrifice is a read that will draw you in easily. Concluding quite nicely while still just so to have a possibilit for more novels.

Oveall: Touching read
Genre: Vampires, Young Adult, Romance ( )
  Cassandrabookblogger | Sep 7, 2012 |
Sacrifice is an AMAZING sequel to Crave. I remember reading Crave and loving it so much, and the ending was just WOW. One of my concerns was that Sacrifice wouldn't pick up right where it left off. I've read some books that had a really shocking cliffhanger, and when you read the second book it takes place days later or hours later. Well not Sacrifice! Melinda Metz and L.J. Burns continue right where they left off. You are immediately sucked back into Gabriel and Shay's world. Sacrifice leaves you with your mouth open and at the edge of your seat just about every chapter. I felt so bad for them both. The way Gabriel loves Shay will give you goosebumps all over. The struggles he goes through trying to decide between Love and Family, broke my heart.There were also some really good shocking and unpredictable moments. I don't want to give anything away, but let me just say that Metz and Burns really know how to keep you glued to the pages. I actually read this book in a day because it was one thing after another and I just couldn't put it down. I did have one or two issues with the book, but nothing serious. I was just really upset at some of the decisions Shay makes. I felt it was very immature and with everything she has been through you'd think she would have known better. My other issue was how easy it was for them to save Gabriel. But you will have to read the book to find out what I am talking about. In the end, this was a great sequel with a little bit of everything in it, but most of all LOVE. I enjoyed Sacrifice a lot more than Crave, and I loved Crave so you can only imagine. Sacrifice has a happy ending that left room for a possible third book, but it can also end there. I personally, hope there is a third book. I can't get enough of Gabriel!4 out of 5 Stars! ( )
  DamarisGCR | Mar 7, 2012 |
Shay McGuire is no longer ill. It was never an illness at all. Shay learned that she was born a half-vampire. The downside is that she must drink Gabriel's blood or she will die. With this revelation Gabriel decides the safest place to be is with his family. But on arrival they announce Shay is an abomination and must die. Shay is taken to the basement and Gabriel starts wondering if he'll every see her again.

An entertaining read. Not your average vampire story, which is very refreshing. Shay and Gabriel are characters I have enjoyed reading about. I loved that we got to meet Gabriel's family, but with the exception of Millie they were absolutely annoying - almost to the point I didn't want to finish the book. Their reaction to Shay was surprising. I'm glad I stuck with it though, Sacrifice turned out to be an engaging story. A story of family, rejection, hope and love. The ending was very satisfying. ( )
  vampiregirl76 | Nov 18, 2011 |
*****There may be spoilers if you have not read Crave the first book in this series****

I have been waiting for the sequel to Crave for what feels like forever and I wasn't disappointed with it! Sacrifice picks up right where Crave left off. Shay and Gabriel fled to his vampire family thinking they would welcome Shay with open arms. Instead they call her an "It" and an abomination and say "it" should never have been born. They take her downstairs to a broom closet and lock her up where she'll surely die if she doesn't drink Gabriel's blood. Shay is half vampire, half human. But she needs vampire blood to stay alive.

The head of the family and the man Gabriel considers his father, Ernst, is absolutely opposed to Shay and hates humans. He is furious with Gaberiel and wants "it" only to use as bait to lay a trap for Martin and Shay's mother whom he thinks must also must be killed because she knows too much about them. Shay's father, Sam was also part of this family and the mystery as to what happened to him is unclear. But Shay in her deluded, dehydrated and dying state plunders through the boxes of clutter in the room she's held in and finds some things that belong to the family from their past, but nothing of Sam's. But she dreams that Sam talks to her. And she believes what her mother has always told her that Sam deserted them before she was born.

But then Martin shows up and something catastrophic happens. Things change in a moment and life will never be the same for Shay and Gabriel and the family. Although the story only takes place over a few days, it feels longer because so much is discovered and so much happens leading up to a final showdown with all the players in the story. It's fast paced and heartbreaking and hopeful all at the same time. I wouldn't mind more stories about these vampires. I'd love to especially know more about Sam and Gabriel's pasts. But the story doesn't leave any loose ends.
The characters stay true to their nature up until the end. Then they have to make a choice.
This story is ultimately about sacrifice. What you're willing to give up for someone else. I loved it and I'm sorry it's over!

I have to say that while most collaborative efforts I've read other reviewers write about seem to fail, Laura J. Burns and Melinda Metz do an excellent job writing together. I have no idea which one wrote which part of the book, it is seamless.
You can feel the desperation of Gabriel as he tries to find a way to save Shay without his family discovering. And you can feel Shay's determination to survive and find a way back to her mom. The emotions, the action, the interaction are so realistic and I honestly forget that there are two writers to this novel. If you want to see it done right, read this collaborative work. (I'm not sure if that is the correct term, it just seemed to fit.)
I highly recommend Crave and Sacrifice! ( )
  hrose2931 | Oct 7, 2011 |

Vampire Gabriel and half-vampire Shay, convinced that they can make their relationship work, run away to Gabriel's coven expecting them to embrace Shay as one of their own, but instead they view her as an abomination and a threat, not belonging in either world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,648,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible