Following Christopher Creed by Carol…

Following Christopher Creed

by Carol Plum-Ucci

Whoa! I recognized the unreliable narrator for what he was, but somehow still didn't see the twist coming. I wasn't sure if this sequel would live up to the first book, but I think in the end it did.

"I guess unanswered questions are good because of how they feed people's imaginations. I think imagination is the most beautiful defense we have in a world that can be insanely cruel at times. Once all the questions are answered, the imagination runs out of fuel, has to shut down. We're back in skeptic mode. Everything's limited again." (306-307)

"I would venture to say....your brother mixes lies with truth sometimes to protect his identity. I would venture to say...he is alive and he still loves you." (395)

JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
I remember reading The Body of Christopher Creed in high school and LOVING it because it was just so creepy. It was a well-done psychological thriller. And it was my first (psychological thriller, that is), so automatically it has a soft spot in my heart. When I first heard of Following Christopher Creed, I was a bit put-off. The Body of Christopher Creed was so amazing that I feel that it didn't need a sequel. And, unfortunately, I was right. Following Christopher Creed never lives up to the brilliance that is its predecessor.

Following Christopher Creed was, most of the time, a bloated, boring book. Sure, some interesting things happened here and there, but reading most of the book was tedious. I also found the characters in The Body of Christopher Creed more developed and therefore more intriguing. While I did like Mike and RayAnn, I never got a clear reading of them, particularly when it comes to Mike. Now maybe this was the author's intention, but it made me feel very disconnected to Mike. Revisiting with the characters of the previous novel was pretty cool, but that only lasted for a few chapters.

Another thing I didn't understand was why the author built up this side-plot at the beginning with Steepleton having bad karma, yet never elaborated on it. I thought that should've been the focus Following Christopher Creed. What makes Steepleton tick? Why is it that while most towns see change, Steepleton remains the same and never evolves? She brings up these questions, but answers are never forthcoming. Normally, the lack of answers doesn't really tend to bother me, but I guess I was latching on to the Steepleton theory because it was really the only thing in Following Christopher Creed that intrigued me. I found the rest meh.

So, two stars for the ending which I really did NOT see coming (but really should have. I think I'm off my game) and for some moments of interest. But really, I found Following Christopher Creed to be an unnecessary sequel that never reaches the awesomeness that was The Body of Christopher Creed, let alone surpasses it. ( )
  silenceiseverything | Sep 4, 2011 |
I absolutely loved The Body of Christopher Creed and it's gone down as one of my all-time favorite books. But as it's a coming-of-age novel that comments on both society (to take a large-scale view) and high school bullying (to take a smaller-scale view), I was doubtful as to how good a sequel would be. Novels of The Body's caliber and scope don't usually have sequels. Following Christopher Creed turned out to be decent. If not for the ending, though, it wouldn't have come anywhere near wowing me as much as did the first book. It wasn't as hard-hitting nor as thrilling, a lot of it being dialogue, and I was never sure where Plum-Ucci was trying to head with the story. Was it intended as another coming-of-age social commentary, a novel about moving on, or some book promoting the powers of positive and quantum thinking? It only became clear at the conclusion.

Fortunately, the author keeps the plot interesting; even with there being little action (at least in the physical sense), things move fast. The main characters are likeable, each having their own faults that they're trying to overcome with varying rates of success. I wish Plum-Ucci would have delved more into the "bad frequency" aspect of Steepleton, why there's a high cancer rate, why there have been unexplained, total-fatality car wrecks, why everyone is "mean" - mysteries that readers expect to be explained by the end but are dropped. Again, what makes this a totally worthwhile read rather than just an ok-ish one is the end when some shocking realizations finally come out about what really happened to Christopher Creed. There's no way you'll ever see it coming until the last few pages.

Note: Readers will need to have read The Body of Christopher Creed before this book in order to understand the basic plot and characters. I also noticed that there is much, much less profanity in Following Christopher Creed than in the first book. ( )
  SusieBookworm | Jul 28, 2011 |
For a big fan of Christopher Creed, it was a treat to receive the sequel. However, the narrative moves disappointingly slowly through the follow-up, and I wonder how confusing it might be for readers who don't know the original story. I must say that I loved the ending! ( )
  sleahey | Jul 16, 2011 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 015204759X, Hardcover)

A Note from the Author

Dear Amazon Readers:

One night I was sitting up in my office, which is all spooky anyhow. Our house was built on top of an Indian burial ground, which nobody bothered to tell me when we moved in. Considering how The Body of Christopher Creed reached its pitch in an Indian burial ground, I was forever freaked out, especially while working between the hours of midnight and 4 a.m., my usual.

I felt something over my shoulder. It was strong, like, strong enough so that you would NOT turn and look. It might change your life.

And this voice went off in my head. Not my voice and not aloud, but it went like this. "Wouldn't it be cool if four years later some college newspaper reporter, Torey's age, came to Steepleton because there was another dead body found...Wouldn't it be cool if the story started on a cold and stormy night with detectives trying to determine if this was finally Christopher Creed's bones being uncovered?

"Wouldn't it be cool if, in the end..."

Well, that would obviously be a HUGE spoiler, and the point is...this storyline was so clear I kept thinking it came from a source outside myself.

And I said aloud, "Woe!! Why did I never think of this before????"

My desk chair has wheels on it. I yanked myself up to the keypad, started pounding, and knocked out about 30 pages before the Dark Hour (5 a.m.) when I finally stopped to sleep.

See, I've been asked a thousand times if I'd ever write a sequel to Creed. The answer has always been "No," because I could never think of anything really good. Some people kept saying, "You should do it now because that book is selling so well." But I never wanted to add to Creed for the wrong reasons, like trying to get rich off him. I wanted to wait until I had something really good, and if that day never came, so be it.

I had so much fun revisiting Steepleton, the people, and meeting new people, like the 16-year-old Justin Creed, who is nothing like his brother! I feel I've done what people really wanted: To be able to come back to those dark and shadowy woods, visit characters they may have missed and wanted to hear more of.

Hope you enjoy...

--Carol Plum-Ucci

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:26 -0400)

Legally-blind college reporter Mike Mavic hopes to get a story about a body found in Steepleton, believed to be that of long-missing teen Christopher Creed, but finds something odd about the town, including Justin Creed's obsessive drive to learn what really happened to his older brother.… (more)

6 wanted1 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,454,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible