Darkness Falls by Cate Tiernan

Reyn hay = happiness ( )
  bonniemarjorie | May 7, 2013 |

So good. ( )
  Ritastradling | Apr 15, 2013 |
I didn't like this book as much as the first. It was bland and lacking a plot. Story had started only somewhere in the middle and it just seemed like a dull repetition of the first book for most parts. ( )
  shayanasha | Apr 5, 2013 |
Loved it! ( )
  Kewpie83 | Apr 3, 2013 |
I'm confused by the fact that I didn't pick this up right when it came out, as I loved IMMORTAL BELOVED, but now there's only a few months left before the third third and final installment in the trilogy comes out, so I guess it all worked out.

I have to admit my favorite parts of DARKNESS FALLS were the chapters back at River's farm, following Nastasya as she works in the kitchen or at the local drugstore. These might feel a little like treading water if you're reading the books back to back, but I loved being able to reacquaint myself with all the characters and especially Nastasya's voice.

Though her time at the farm is not what you would really call pleasant. All the self-improvement she's been doing has begun to bear fruit, and one nasty side effect of learning the difference between right and wrong is that Nastasya sees many of her memories with new eyes. Instead of a daring escape, she sees the people she didn't help. Instead of a fun caper, she sees the people harmed by her theft. She's still struggling to fit in, still doesn't know what to do with her feelings for Reyn, still can't master simple magic...the mood, in the early sections of the book, is melancholy. Maybe even gloomy, though Nastasya is too funny and bubbly to really drag you down.

Later on, Incy re-enters the picture and Nastasya gets to try on her old life for size. Fabulous clothes, luxury, late-night parties, fun and frivolous behavior. Tiernan does an amazing job of making the high life sound utterly revolting. Nastasya name-drops Manolo Blahnik or Christian Louboutin, slipping her feet into shoes that sound truly, covetously adorable, and then wishes - and makes me wish - for a pair of old work boots.

Like the first book, DARKNESS FALLS breaks many rules of commercial fiction - not much action, lots of flashbacks, plenty of inner monologue. I loved every word of it, and hugely admired Tiernan's skill, because she makes it all fun and gripping. ( )
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |

Nastasya has lived for hundreds of years, but for some reason, life never seems to get any better. She left her spoiled, rich girl life to find peace at River's Edge, a safe haven for wayward immortals. There, she learned to embrace River's Edge, despite som drama involving the sexy Reyn, who she wants but won't allow herself to have. But just as she's getting comfortable, her family's ties to dark magick force her to leave.

She falls back into her old, hard partying ways, but will her decision lead her into the hands of a dark immortal? Or will it be her first step to embracing the darkness within her?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:28 -0400)

While living at River's Edge where she's learning to cope with her darker impulses, immortal Nastasya's ties to dark magick get in her way once again and she's pulled back into her former destructive lifestyle.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,330,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible