The Spirit War by Rachel Aaron

The Spirit War (edition 2012)

by Rachel Aaron

Member:christina_reads
Title:The Spirit War
Authors:Rachel Aaron
Info:Orbit (2012), Paperback, 544 pages
Tags:fiction, fantasy, series, 12 in 12

The Spirit War by Rachel Aaron

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (gluestick)
    gluestick: Another charming,ingenious and mischievous thief.Gen and Eli have so much in common

Oh my god I don't know why more people don't have this series on their shelves. This was a phenomenal book! I cannot wait until the next one is out. Do yourself a favor and read this series, a unique fantasy series. ( )
  Half-elf28 | Jun 1, 2016 |
The fourth book in the series on Eli Monpress, the greatest thief in the world and his companions Josef (the greatest swordsman ) and Nico (a human being consumed by a demonseed, but still hanging on).

This is a great series where things are really starting to come together. We learn more about the background of Josef (not the simple fighter he's always appeared to be) and also more about what drives Eli.

The great enemy of the story is Nara, an Empress who was repelled by the nations twenty odd years ago and who now returns to her conquest with overwhelming odds in her favour.

The battle is fast-paced and desperate and the ending is quite dreadful for one of the characters. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
What happens when the caper gets serious?

This is book #4 in the series, and darker than the earlier ones, though just as compelling. Much more is revealed about the world and how it works, which I appreciated. All of the characters are facing their "demons"- sometimes literally- and need to re-think their positions and values.

While this book's arc does resolve in the book, it also develops a lot of the overall arc of the series, and those questions are left hanging. Not a flaw, as long as they're resolved in #5! (And I admit I just started #5, even though usually I take a break between books in a series.)

I think the series thus far has been very well-paced, even though it is getting darker as it progresses. Mostly one cannot stay devil-may-care throughout one's life; things happen, and one needs to get serious, both because of internal pressures and because of outside events. I like the way that's going in this series.

I will say, though, that this is not the place to start! There's a certain amount of backstory included, but it's minimal, and without reading the earlier volumes I doubt it'll make much sense.

But if you have read the earlier ones- or are looking for a new fantasy series that ranges from light-hearted to intense- this is a good choice. ( )
  cissa | Mar 31, 2014 |
I love this series, Eli is a great character, he's so full of himself and often in a justified way. This time he's caught in a war that involves his friend Josef. It turns out that Josef is prince of a small state, whose mother is dying and who is summoned home by means of a bounty offer that tops the best Eli has ever managed to get to.

Josef and Eli have to contend with politics, a wife for Josef and Eli's past. To add to it all most of the reason Josef's country is being attacked is Eli, he's also reliant on Eli to survive, both using his wits and his powers.

Some of the mess may be Eli's responsibility and it's interesting to see how this world works and to see some glimmers of why it's not all his fault, at least this time. This brings into sharp focus some of the background stuff that's been hinted at in earlier books and hints at even murkier politics than the simple human stuff.

I really want to read the next one too, and want to get people to read it more. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 28, 2013 |
Since I originally thought the Eli Monpress series was just a trilogy, I was delighted to discover more books in this series. The central characters return, with many of their unresolved problems. Miranda still can't catch Eli Monpress, Josef wants to be the greatest swordsman without using his famous awakened blade, Nico has a better handle on her demonseed but it still taunts her, and Eli remains his charming self while harboring deep secrets about his power. This installment reveals more about Josef's past and puts Eli and his friends in the dangerous path of the Immortal Empress as she invades the Council Kingdoms. A great read and a great series that is always fun! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jan 25, 2013 |
For Peggy, without whom this book would not have been.
The old swordsman was kneeling in the dirt, blowing on the embers of last night's fire when he saw the boy approaching.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316198382, Paperback)

Eli Monpress is vain. He's cocky. And he's a thief.

But he's a thief who has just seen his bounty topped and he's not happy about it. The bounty topper, as it turns out, is his best friend, bodyguard, and master swordsman, Josef. Who has been keeping secrets from Eli. Apparently, he's the only prince of a rather feisty country and his mother (a formidable queen who's every bit as driven and stubborn as he is) wants him to come home and do his duty, which means throwing over personal ambitions like proving he's the greatest swordsman who ever lived.

Family drama aside, Eli and Josef have their hands full. The Spirit Court has been usurped by the Council of Thrones and someone calling herself the Immortal Empress is staging a massive invasion. But it's not just politics --- the Immortal Empress has a specific target in mind: Eli Monpress, the greatest thief in the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

Eli Monpress is vain. He's cocky. And he's a thief-- who has just seen his bounty topped. The bounty topper, as it turns out, is his best friend, bodyguard, and master swordsman, Josef. But it seems Josef has been keeping secrets: he's the only prince of a rather feisty country and his mother wants him to come home and do his duty.… (more)

25 wanted2 pay2 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,536,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible