The Spirit War (The Legend of Eli Monpress)…

The Spirit War (The Legend of Eli Monpress) (edition 2012)

by Rachel Aaron

Member:MichaelDennis
Title:The Spirit War (The Legend of Eli Monpress)
Authors:Rachel Aaron
Info:Orbit (2012), Kindle Edition, 537 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:kindle, fantasy, mike-read-2013

The Spirit War by Rachel Aaron

Recently added bypandacr, flame010, sawyl, Ardwen, JackAch, sangreal, lottpoet, JudithL31, private library, castillobooks
2012 (2) 2013 (2) 2014 (1) adventure (1) dl (1) ebook (7) Eli (1) Eli Monpress (4) fantasy (18) fb (1) fiction (5) First Edition (1) gods (1) humor (2) I (1) June (1) Kindle (2) library (1) literature (1) magic (2) Nico (1) read (3) series (1) spirits (1) thief (1) thieves (1) to-read (4) trade paperback (1) unread (1) wishlist (1)
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (gluestick)
    gluestick: Another charming,ingenious and mischievous thief.Gen and Eli have so much in common

What happens when the caper gets serious?

This is book #4 in the series, and darker than the earlier ones, though just as compelling. Much more is revealed about the world and how it works, which I appreciated. All of the characters are facing their "demons"- sometimes literally- and need to re-think their positions and values.

While this book's arc does resolve in the book, it also develops a lot of the overall arc of the series, and those questions are left hanging. Not a flaw, as long as they're resolved in #5! (And I admit I just started #5, even though usually I take a break between books in a series.)

I think the series thus far has been very well-paced, even though it is getting darker as it progresses. Mostly one cannot stay devil-may-care throughout one's life; things happen, and one needs to get serious, both because of internal pressures and because of outside events. I like the way that's going in this series.

I will say, though, that this is not the place to start! There's a certain amount of backstory included, but it's minimal, and without reading the earlier volumes I doubt it'll make much sense.

But if you have read the earlier ones- or are looking for a new fantasy series that ranges from light-hearted to intense- this is a good choice. ( )
  cissa | Mar 31, 2014 |
I love this series, Eli is a great character, he's so full of himself and often in a justified way. This time he's caught in a war that involves his friend Josef. It turns out that Josef is prince of a small state, whose mother is dying and who is summoned home by means of a bounty offer that tops the best Eli has ever managed to get to.

Josef and Eli have to contend with politics, a wife for Josef and Eli's past. To add to it all most of the reason Josef's country is being attacked is Eli, he's also reliant on Eli to survive, both using his wits and his powers.

Some of the mess may be Eli's responsibility and it's interesting to see how this world works and to see some glimmers of why it's not all his fault, at least this time. This brings into sharp focus some of the background stuff that's been hinted at in earlier books and hints at even murkier politics than the simple human stuff.

I really want to read the next one too, and want to get people to read it more. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 28, 2013 |
Since I originally thought the Eli Monpress series was just a trilogy, I was delighted to discover more books in this series. The central characters return, with many of their unresolved problems. Miranda still can't catch Eli Monpress, Josef wants to be the greatest swordsman without using his famous awakened blade, Nico has a better handle on her demonseed but it still taunts her, and Eli remains his charming self while harboring deep secrets about his power. This installment reveals more about Josef's past and puts Eli and his friends in the dangerous path of the Immortal Empress as she invades the Council Kingdoms. A great read and a great series that is always fun! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jan 25, 2013 |
The Spirit War is the fourth installment in Rachel Aaron’s Legend of Eli Monpress, a series that started out as a light and fluffy read but has grown continuously darker as it progresses. This most recent novel continues that trend, and also is considerably more epic than any of the first three volumes – our heroes are all over place in this one, momentous events are afoot, and – the title holding what it promises – there is a war going on (even though the actual fighting, once it happens, seems to bear a greater resemblance to computer game boss fights than to actual military encounters). After novels that were centered on Eli and Nico, this time it is Josef’s turn, and we learn about his background and how he became what he is, and The Spirit War tells (among other things) of how he manages to come to some sort of peace with his past. We also find out a lot more about the wider world the series’ events are set in, and we finally get a cliffhanger that, even though it was clear that this would have to come to pass eventually, is none the less evil for that. Rachel Aaron seems like such a nice person in interviews and on her blog, I really would not have thought her capable of being so mean to leave her readers with that ending… At least Spirit’s End, the final volume in the series, will be out soon, and I for one am counting the days until then.

The Legend of Eli Monpress may not be the most original fantasy series in recent years (it is fairly conventional, but still manages to breathe new life into tired tropes) or the deepest and edgiest (even as things grow darker with each volume, this is still light reading and does not attempt to be anything else) but for me it consistently has been the one that was the most sheer, unabashed fun to read, that had me alternately chuckling with glee or gnawing my lower lip in excitement. It brought back something (a lot actually) of what I felt when I first started out reading Fantasy as a teenager, the spirit of colourful adventure and wide-eyed wonder that got me hooked on the genre, and that is so very hard to recapture as one grows older. Rachel Aaron does this admirably and without apparent effort, and I love the series for that.
  Larou | Jul 19, 2012 |
Like her other books this is definitely and "can't-put-it-downer." I actually didn't go into the book with the same gusto as the last one. I mean, I didn't pick up until after two weeks it was released! How crazy is that?! I knew it was going to focus on Josef and being and Eli fan I wasn't sure it would excite me. Boy was I wrong and I should know better about myself because the first three books provided additional character depth to the others and I loved those books so why would this be any different. It was not. As a matter of fact, I think this was one of her stronger books. The story is just as complex in a world that is unique and easy to grasp.

I love Josef in this books and have in mind who can play him in the movies. :) It also answered some questions, and of course, created some new ones.

It's definitely an appetite wetter for the final book (Book 5) which is due out in late fall. I am trying not to will summer to fly by in hopes to getting to that book sooner. I am really going to hate it when this series comes to an end.

Tips, you MUST read the first three books although the main storyline is self contained, the books layer each other well. I will not spoil any of this book but just that it's on a grander scale and has an EPIC feel to it unlike the others. I mean.."war" is in the title, right?

Be prepared to stay up all night to finish this 500 page book. OR in my case, a couple of nights and kids having to eat PB & J for dinner so I could finish it. ( )
  Melgaye | Jun 29, 2012 |
For Peggy, without whom this book would not have been.
The old swordsman was kneeling in the dirt, blowing on the embers of last night's fire when he saw the boy approaching.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316198382, Paperback)

Eli Monpress is vain. He's cocky. And he's a thief.

But he's a thief who has just seen his bounty topped and he's not happy about it. The bounty topper, as it turns out, is his best friend, bodyguard, and master swordsman, Josef. Who has been keeping secrets from Eli. Apparently, he's the only prince of a rather feisty country and his mother (a formidable queen who's every bit as driven and stubborn as he is) wants him to come home and do his duty, which means throwing over personal ambitions like proving he's the greatest swordsman who ever lived.

Family drama aside, Eli and Josef have their hands full. The Spirit Court has been usurped by the Council of Thrones and someone calling herself the Immortal Empress is staging a massive invasion. But it's not just politics --- the Immortal Empress has a specific target in mind: Eli Monpress, the greatest thief in the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:24 -0400)

Eli Monpress is vain. He's cocky. And he's a thief-- who has just seen his bounty topped. The bounty topper, as it turns out, is his best friend, bodyguard, and master swordsman, Josef. But it seems Josef has been keeping secrets: he's the only prince of a rather feisty country and his mother wants him to come home and do his duty.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,698,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible