dismiss

The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett
On the night of the new moon, the demons rise in force, seeking the deaths of two men, both of whom have the potential to become the fabled Deliverer, the man prophesied to reunite the scattered remnants of humanity in a final push to destroy the demon corelings once and for all. Arlen Bales denies he is the Deliverer at every turn, but the more he tries to be one with the common folk, the more fervently they believe.… (more)

English (40)  German (2)  All languages (42)
Some seriously good epic-fantasy going on here.

Like the previous novel, we spend a lot of time in the Krasian camp, only this time it's all from the PoV of Inevera, and I can't complain. Getting the PoV's of the women in this benighted world is a real treat especially since it's so damn dire and ugly. Feeling the strain and drive against the ugliness is damn welcome, even if it's small potatoes with only a few big hints of change or possible change.

That being said, we don't remain there. We get The Deliverer's wife, a big piece of the Deliverer, and the anti-Deliverer, Arlen, sure enough. Mixing the Dukedom and the Krasians is what the Daylight War is all about, but the war is still mainly against the Demons. I'm not saying that war between humans doesn't happen... indeed, by the end, we end up in an epic battle between two Deliverers and I'm nicely wound up and angry how it left off, but I have faith. Cliffhangers are there for a reason and I've been quite happy with the series so far. I have trust.

All told, I'm extremely happy and enthusiastic as hell about this action-packed epic fantasy. So much demon-fighting, so much deep characterization with just a handful of great characters. It's designed perfectly to draw everyone in and I guess I qualify as everyone. It has that certain something that hooks me completely. I can't always or even often say that about most epic fantasies, but I'm totally lost in this series. :)

On to the novella between! Loving it! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
My review is taken from my website at fantasycomesfirst.blogspot.com

I have read the other two books in the Demon War Cycle and they were amazing. The third book in the series is no exception.

The book takes a look back at the events explored in the other two books from Inevera's perspective. Inevera is the first wife of Jardir and is largely responsible for his rise to power. She is an engaging if not mysterious character who finally gets some light shed on her motivations. I really enjoyed the sections from Inevera's point of view.

The rest of the book moves forward the plot of the main story. We get all of our characters exactly where we left off. The story moves ahead some but I think we could have moved forward a bit more. We get to see all of our characters in fine form and some in not so fine of form. I really like Abban, he might be my favorite sub character. The story ends on a crazy cliffhanger and I must say that I am very upset that I have to wait a year or more to get any kind of resolution.

This book has it all, it has action, violence, romance, comedy, political intrigue. If you like the first two books then you will like this one. ( )
  maybe_a_wizard | May 22, 2020 |
pb
  5083mitzi | Apr 25, 2020 |
Absolutely brilliant! I don't know how Peter does it, but each book is even better than the previous one, a feat I thought almost impossible.

Be warned though...
As you may already know, the author has a way to sway the reader’s allegiances. A way to make the "bad" guys likeable by reintroducing the world from their point of view. Everyone has reasons for their actions and those reasons are just as moral as the next guys. Do not jump into conclusions until you know all the facts. In the end you'll love them all despite their misgivings. Like family.

Fidelias | Jan 9, 2020 |
As with all of the books of this series, this is a review of the audiobook version by Pete Bradbury.

If you have read my other reviews of this series, you know that I liked the first book a lot, and the second book a bit less, because the increase in character power was not met by the demons, meaning that a lot of the atmosphere of dread of the night that the first book radiated were lost.

Well, in this book, the characters gain even more power, but they do so in a way that seems a bit more logical. The powers are not too strong, compared to what is thrown at the protagonists.

I also like the character development, especially that of Inevera, who had been one of my most disliked characters of the series. This book shows her backstory and her motivations, and she has transformed into one of my favourite characters as a result.

And, as always, I have to mention that the audiobook version is pretty darn good. Pete Bradbury does a great job of bringing the emotions across, and I like his voice a lot.

Now, let's get to my biggest problem with this book: The ending. I obviously don't want to spoil anything, but while the first two books had good endings which left things open enough for a sequel without seeming like a cliffhanger, this book has one of the worst cliffhangers I have ever read. This kind of annoys me, because I would have read the next book of the series anyway, and I dislike waiting for a resolution of the cliffhanger for the next year(s), until the fourth book of the series comes out.

Please don't do cliffhangers. Seriously. But read this series. It is good. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
For my parents, John and Dolores, who still read together on the couch at night
Inevera and her brother Soli sat in the sunlight.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,556,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible