Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow…

Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow (2005)

by Susan Campbell Bartoletti

"I begin with the young. We older ones are used up . . . But my magnificent youngsters! Look at these men and boys! What material! With them, I can create a new world." --Adolf Hitler, Nuremberg 1933

By the time Hitler became Chancellor of Germany in 1933, 3.5 million children belonged to the Hitler Youth. It would become the largest youth group in history. Susan Campbell Bartoletti explores how Hitler gained the loyalty, trust, and passion of so many of Germany's young people. Her research includes telling interviews with surviving Hitler Youth members. ( )
  Stsmurphy | Jun 7, 2014 |
I chose to peruse "Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow" because I was looking for a book that would investigate the theme of growing up too fast. This book is valuable towards this end. The story details the entire Hitler Youth structure and how this structure contributed to the Nazi War Machine. The story takes an interesting twist, one that further inspires Susan Campbell Bartoletti's novel "The Boy Who Dared." The same organizational structure that helped the war machine was used to resist the Nazi's as well. The story of the White Rose and Hans Scholl is a refreshing tale within this otherwise disturbing historical situation. The stories of the countless German youths resisting the Gestapo and the Nazi party is a refreshing twist to this story. The two chapters detailing these stories could certainly be read on their own. This story contains sufficient historical context that it could be used on its own to teach the World War II, the Holocaust, and the Nazis. The book contains great documentation, supplemental resources, bibliographical tools, glossaries, and other features to facilitate understanding. I was thoroughly impressed with this book and will certainly use or have it in my classroom, along with "The Boy Who Dared," to allow students to explore this period of history through comparing and contrasting activities. ( )
  JonathanToups | May 4, 2014 |
This nonfiction chapter book provides an intense look into life as a young person in Nazi Germany, complementing the content of standard history textbooks on this era. Readers will learn about the Hitler Youth organization and its influence on young people. What began as a voluntary activity transformed into a mandatory organization that emphasized blind adherence to Hitler and the Nazi regime.

For librarians and educators looking to diversify their WWII collection, this book will add a new perspective into what life was like during that time. The subject matter is, of course, quite disturbing. Readers will benefit from having context and support through discussions and lessons while reading this book. It is definitely not an introductory text to this topic, but it is well-researched and has received many awards for its approach to the topic. ( )
  aeisen9 | Mar 17, 2014 |
As a young person, I was extremely interested in the Holocaust. I had a hard time believing that something like this had happened, and loved reading more and more on the subject. I really wish that I had had this book back then! This book tells a completely different perspective than what one is used to hearing when they study the Holocaust, and it was very eye-opening. I liked Bartoletti's design for this book particularly, and the way she separated the different chapters. I think that using this book in the classroom would be excellent for anyone who is teaching about the Holocaust, as it provides a much different and very important perspective than what is typically shared. ( )
  L_Cochran | Mar 16, 2014 |
Summary: This book is NOT about Adulf Hitler. It was about the youth who followed Hitler and becamer part of a group called "Hitler Youth." It gives insider information on how it was like growing up as a child in that time period and what they did. It explained a lot about events I never knew about and that really shocked me.

Personal Reflection: I really liked this book. I really enjoy books about the time of Nazi Germany because I am mainly German so it is a way for me to learn about my history and ancestors just a little bit.

Classroom Extinsions:
1. This book would be good for a station about history.
2. This book might be good for a base of a research paper for the students to do over Nazi Germany.

***Newberry***
  TaylorSchettler | Nov 19, 2013 |
Gr 5-8-Hitler's plans for the future of Germany relied significantly on its young people, and this excellent history shows how he attempted to carry out his mission with the establishment of the Hitler Youth, or Hitlerjugend, in 1926. With a focus on the years between 1933 and the end of the war in 1945, Bartoletti explains the roles that millions of boys and girls unwittingly played in the horrors of the Third Reich. The book is structured around 12 young individuals and their experiences, which clearly demonstrate how they were victims of leaders who took advantage of their innocence and enthusiasm for evil means. Their stories evolve from patriotic devotion to Hitler and zeal to join, to doubt, confusion, and disillusion. (An epilogue adds a powerful what-became-of-them relevance.) The large period photographs are a primary component and they include Nazi propaganda showing happy and healthy teens as well as the reality of concentration camps and young people with large guns. The final chapter superbly summarizes the weighty significance of this part of the 20th century and challenges young readers to prevent history from repeating itself. Bartoletti lets many of the subjects' words, emotions, and deeds speak for themselves, bringing them together clearly to tell this story unlike anyone else has.-Andrew Medlar, Chicago Public Library, IL Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editSchool Library Journal, Andrew Medlar (Jul 22, 2009)

Yes, the Hitler youth is mentioned in most young adult nonfiction on the subject, but to see through this lens creates a completely different book! Bartoletti is quickly becoming a nonfiction writer who tops lists with her engaging writing, viewpoint, obvious dedication to research and knowledge of how important pictures are to the telling for this audience. Her book is filled with chilling quotes, anecdotal stories derived from research and interviews, and stories about how Hitler's young were manipulated and used as a primary source of his power and vision for the future. There are many facts revealed that may be new to readers. For example, the required year of service after graduation, the Landjahr, required youth do everything from clearing forests to shoveling "gravel through sieves for seven full hours" and by 1938 "the Reich Labor Service has turned so many acres of forests and swamps into useful land that it made up for nearly all the territory Germany had lost in the Treaty of Versailles." The author threads through the pages the stories of young heroes who stood up against Hitler, such as Sophie and Hans Scholl who wrote and distributed pamphlets until they were executed. 2005, Scholastic, Ages 11 up.
added by sriches | editChildren's Literature, Susie Wilde (Jul 22, 2009)

Bartoletti (Kids on Strike!) offers a unique and riveting perspective on WWII by focusing on the young people who followed Hitler from 1933-1945. The narrative primarily focuses on members of the Hitler Youth, but also profiles some of the group's dissidents and its Jewish targets. Hitler began his quest for dominance with young people, recognizing them as "a powerful political force" and claiming, "With them I can make a new world." Bartoletti describes how the propaganda of the Hitler Youth attracted children: "The overnight camping trips, campfires, and parades sounded like a great deal of fun," said one 12-year-old. But the organization also emphasized loyalty to the Third Reich above all (including family-one eight-year-old, Elisabeth Vetter, turned in her parents to the Nazis). The author personalizes the war by placing identifiable individuals at the center of the events, such as Sophie Scholl, who moved away from Nazi ideas as a teen and in college joined the "White Rose" group that published pamphlets detailing Nazi evils and urging resistance-a crime for which she and others were executed. Powerful black-and-white photographs testify to the lure and also the cruelty of the Nazis. Bartoletti's portrait of individuals within the Hitler Youth who failed to realize that they served "a mass murderer" is convincing, and while it does not excuse the atrocities, it certainly will allow readers to comprehend the circumstances that led to the formation of Hitler's youngest zealots. Ages 7-10. (Apr.) Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editPublishers Weekly, Reed Business Information (Jul 22, 2009)

In her first full-length nonfiction title since winning the Robert F. Sibert Award, Susan Campbell Bartoletti explores the riveting and often chilling story of Germany's powerful Hitler Youth groups.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:08 -0400)

The story of a generation of German young people who devoted all their energy to the Hitler Youth and the propaganda that brought gave Hitler his power, and the youths that resisted the Nazi movement.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,663,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible