The Impossible Dead by Ian Rankin

The Impossible Dead (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ian Rankin

Member:Amsa1959
Title:The Impossible Dead
Authors:Ian Rankin
Info:Orion (2012), Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Your library, Crime
Rating:***
Tags:2013, crime, Scotland, police

The Impossible Dead by Ian Rankin (2011)

The Complaints by Ian Rankin (Laura400)
    The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home (YossarianXeno)
    YossarianXeno: Both novels provide accessible, compelling crime stories set in contemporary Scotland, written with a simplicity of style.
    O homem que matou Getúlio Vargas: Biografia de um anarquista by Jo Soares (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: the lighter side of anarchy

English (42)  Dutch (2)  All languages (44)
I've enjoyed Rankin's Rebus character in a number of novels, and this is my first with Malcolm Fox, head of the Complaints (similar to IAD) in the starring role. It's a promising series, but definitely not the same as Rebus.

As with many good mysteries, The Impossible Dead starts out in one direction, a fairly easy role for the Complaints team to investigate a nearby department's improper handling of a citizen accusation against one of their own, and branches off into something considerably more complex. Without spoiling the plot, I'd say the story line is well done, I like Rankin's straightforward prose, the characters are developed nicely, and the conclusion is satisfying. It's a good mystery novel. Oh yeah, I also like the references to the Scottish setting... I've been over there and enjoy hearing descriptions of places I've actually seen.

The only 'complaints' I have were the relatively slow pace of the initial 2/3 of the book. There was a lot of activity, but little obvious movement toward the conclusion. The pace picked up eventually. Additionally, although we get a very good sense of the personalities of the members of the Complaints team, it's actually a pretty boring group. They get along well, joke with one another, chase skirts a bit, but there's not the little bit of tension that goes along with a more adventurous team.

All in all, a nicely done mystery by an author who does a great job cranking them out.

gmmartz | Jun 21, 2016 |
Overall entertaining and a quick read; Malcolm Fox is likeable yet ordinary character, the storyline was just a little far-fetched but made believable. Lots of trademark "grounding" touches, like chip paper, taking you in to the moment described. ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Ax good as the Rebus series - and that's saying something! ( )
  stevebishop | Apr 2, 2016 |
The Complaints are an unloved department in the Police who try to ferret out corruption and wrong-doing in the Force. Malcolm Fox and a small crew go to investigate a Branch to see how, or if they were involved in the cover up of a corrupt cop. There is no cooperation given, but in the middle of things there's a murder and things get decidedly murky and it isn't clear where things are going. Not as straight-forward as it starts out to be. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
A slow moving story which I did not finish. Malcolm Fox and his team from the Complaints Squad is investigating other police officers. A lot of dialogue but little action. ( )
  lewilliams | Aug 5, 2015 |
This is Rankin, so it's only to be expected that the plotting should be tight, the dialogue quick-fire, the crimes disturbingly believable, taking place as they do in a world that is so thoroughly and obviously our own, today. What the creator of Rebus also gives us in Fox – initially in the inspector's first outing, The Complaints, and again here – is another complex, driven policeman: difficult, largely miserable and lonely, but utterly real.

Ian Rankinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ian Rankinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
I. M.
David Thompson
"He's not here,' the desk sergeant said.

The Complaints: that's the name given to the Internal Affairs department who seek out dirty and compromised cops, the ones who've made deals with the devil. And sometimes The Complaints must travel.

In his newest pulse-pounding thriller, Ian Rankin holds up a mirror to an age of fear and paranoia, and shows us something of our own lives reflected there.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

A major inquiry into a neighboring police force sees Malcolm Fox and his colleagues cast adrift, unsure of territory, protocol, or who they can trust. An entire station-house looks to have been compromised, but as Fox digs deeper he finds the trail leads him back in time to the suicide of a prominent politician and activist. There are secrets buried in the past, and reputations on the line.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,760,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible