The Impossible Dead by Ian Rankin

The Impossible Dead (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ian Rankin

Member:Amsa1959
Title:The Impossible Dead
Authors:Ian Rankin
Info:Orion (2012), Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Your library, Crime
Rating:***
Tags:2013, crime, Scotland, police

The Impossible Dead by Ian Rankin (2011)

The Complaints by Ian Rankin (Laura400)
    The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home (YossarianXeno)
    YossarianXeno: Both novels provide accessible, compelling crime stories set in contemporary Scotland, written with a simplicity of style.
    O homem que matou Getúlio Vargas: Biografia de um anarquista by Jo Soares (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: the lighter side of anarchy

English (38)  Dutch (2)  All languages (40)
A slow moving story which I did not finish. Malcolm Fox and his team from the Complaints Squad is investigating other police officers. A lot of dialogue but little action. ( )
  lewilliams | Aug 5, 2015 |
I like this police procedural murder mystery. The protagonist is a divorced, middle-aged male with an ailing father and an older sister. He heads a group from the Complaints, an outdated term for the internal investigation section of the police in Scotland. The investigation makes for some twisted plotting and the characters and dialog are good. He has many works out and I'll be looking for more by him. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Pros: The main character, Malcolm Fox, is a bit of an enigma, a loner with family troubles who doesn't seem to let many people get close to him. It made me want to find out what really makes him tick.
The crime was enough of a puzzle that it kept me guessing and I didn't figure out who the culprit(s) were until all was revealed at the end.
The setting--Scotland--and the tie in to the historical events of the eighties was intriguing to someone who likes History and all things Scottish/English.
Cons: It takes quite a while for the story to move along--as in, there isn't much action at first. It's more of an intellectual crime solving story. So it takes some patience on the part of the reader.

I'd recommend it to anyone who likes intellectual mysteries, especially in they like them set in the British Isles and if they also like intriguing main characters. ( )
  debs4jc | Feb 13, 2015 |
Malcolm Fox not breaking quite as many rules as in the first story in this series, but again operating clearly far outside his remit. The plot involves top-ranking police and justice ministry figures, together with the security services, and links back to separatist groups operating in Scotland in 1985. It all got a bit unlikely and convoluted, but Kaye and Naysmith were fun again and the storyline concerning Malcolm's father kept things somewhat grounded. ( )
  pgchuis | Jan 26, 2015 |
Someone close recommended Rankin, so although I do not read crime stories, I gave it a try and found it rather slow paced and not really interesting.
I am sure he is good, really, and knows what he is doing, and I will give another one of his works a try, if one ever crosses my path, but will definitely not go out of my way to get hold of one. ( )
  flydodofly | Nov 22, 2014 |
This is Rankin, so it's only to be expected that the plotting should be tight, the dialogue quick-fire, the crimes disturbingly believable, taking place as they do in a world that is so thoroughly and obviously our own, today. What the creator of Rebus also gives us in Fox – initially in the inspector's first outing, The Complaints, and again here – is another complex, driven policeman: difficult, largely miserable and lonely, but utterly real.

Ian Rankinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ian Rankinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
I. M.
David Thompson
"He's not here,' the desk sergeant said.

The Complaints: that's the name given to the Internal Affairs department who seek out dirty and compromised cops, the ones who've made deals with the devil. And sometimes The Complaints must travel.

In his newest pulse-pounding thriller, Ian Rankin holds up a mirror to an age of fear and paranoia, and shows us something of our own lives reflected there.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

A major inquiry into a neighboring police force sees Malcolm Fox and his colleagues cast adrift, unsure of territory, protocol, or who they can trust. An entire station-house looks to have been compromised, but as Fox digs deeper he finds the trail leads him back in time to the suicide of a prominent politician and activist. There are secrets buried in the past, and reputations on the line.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,125,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible