dismiss

The Magician King by Lev Grossman

The Magician King (2011)

by Lev Grossman

Series: The Magicians (2)

Quentin and his friends are now the kings and queens of Fillory, but the days and nights of royal luxury are starting to pall. After a morning hunt takes a sinister turn, Quentin and his old friend Julia charter a magical sailing ship and set out on an errand to the wild outer reaches of their kingdom. Their pleasure cruise becomes an adventure when the two are unceremoniously dumped back into the last place Quentin ever wants to see: his parent's house in Chesterton, Massachusetts. And only the black, twisted magic that Julia learned on the streets can save them.… (more)
    The Voodoo Killings by Kristi Charish (charlie68)
    charlie68: Same sort of magic teenage vibe.

English (157)  French (1)  All languages (158)
First off - Magician King was a huge improvement over The Magicians; it was the first time it looked like the characters might actually be able to feel something, rather than being animated and just acting so.
The adventure was actually impressive; it was something that actually offered exhilaration rather than just giving off a vague vibe. Finally, the ending was enough tragic that it stuck and didn't feel like it was made to be a soppy, sad story. Overall, I'd give this book a 4.5/5; and I must say, Lev Grossman improved a lot over the years. ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
if you're here from my reviews, this is the other book that's ever made me cry. "That Quentin felt." ( )
  i. | Apr 9, 2020 |
Definitely better than the first one. ( )
  GigaClon | Mar 21, 2020 |
I think this book was beautifully written. It also had a lot of action, and lots of STUFF HAPPENS. But for all that beauty, for all that stuff that happens, it still felt a bit flat for me. Good, but flat. I guess it's not hard to imagine why a book the strongly features themes of clinical depression also feels emotionless and flat. It definitely shares this quality with the first book. Don't get me wrong, it was worth reading. ( )
  livingtech | Mar 18, 2020 |
This was a great way to give us an adventure while, introducing Julia's back story; which helps us to how much Julia paid to learn her magic. It was interesting, but confusing when they split chapters with two stories going at once. ( )
  MrNattania72 | Mar 17, 2020 |
“Everybody wanted to be the hero of their own story,” Quentin declares, framing the novel’s theme in neat miniature. But by the end of “The Magician King,” he comes to realize that he just might not be. It’s a harsh lesson, and one that, in keeping with the preoccupations and innovations of this serious, heartfelt novel, turns the machinery of fantasy inside out.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, Dan Kois (Aug 26, 2011)

...a spellbinding stereograph, a literary adventure novel that is also about privilege, power and the limits of being human. The Magician King is a triumphant sequel, surpassing, I think, the original. I can't wait for the next one.

Echoes from The Chronicles of Narnia [...] continue to reverberate, but Grossman’s psychologically complex characters and grim reckoning with tragic sacrifice far surpass anything in C.S. Lewis’ pat Christian allegory.
added by melmore | editKirkus Review (Jun 28, 2011)

Lev Grossmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bramhall, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We shall now seek that which we shall not find.
—Sir Thomas Malory, Le Morte D'Arthur
For Sophie
Quentin rode a gray horse with white socks named Dauntless.
This would be his quest: collecting taxes from a bunch of backwater yokels. He had skipped the adventure of the broken tree, and that was fine. He would have this one instead.
Quentin had an obsolete sailing ship that had been raised from the dead. He had a psychotically effective swordsman and an enigmatic witch-queen. It wasn’t the Fellowship of the Ring, but then again he wasn’t trying to save the world from Sauron, he was attempting to perform a tax audit on a bunch of hick islanders. It would definitely do.
That water must be ninety percent E. coli, and the rest was probably diesel fuel. This was not a body of water intended for swimming in.
Fortunately Poppy turned out to be excellent at this kind of cross-country dead-reckoning navigation. At first they thought she must be using some kind of advanced geographical magic until Josh noticed that she had an iPhone in her lap. “Yeah, but I used magic to jailbreak it,” she said.
When you get to that level of power and knowledge and perfection, the question of what you should do next gets increasingly obvious. Everything is very rule-governed. All you can ever do in any given situation is the most gloriously perfect thing, and there’s only one of them. Finally there aren’t any choices left to make at all.” “You’re saying the gods don’t have free will.” “The power to make mistakes,” Penny said. “Only we have that. Mortals.”

The boy is now king
Happily ever after?
Fate has other plans(Jannes)
How much would you want

to give up after a quest

to be a hero?

(legallypuzzled)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,451,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible