The Magician King: A Novel (The Magicians)…

The Magician King: A Novel (The Magicians) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Lev Grossman

Member:CalvinBoesch
Title:The Magician King: A Novel (The Magicians)
Authors:Lev Grossman
Info:Plume (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Magician King by Lev Grossman (2011)

Recently added byrevser, private library, SnowcatCradle, cbloky, mvuijlst, sinceyouasked, edgewood, mdpkremer, Grimmash

English (132)  French (1)  All (133)
ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2017/03/12/my-year-in-reading-cassie-las-february-2017-wrap-up/

I heard from multiple sources that The Magician King was a much more enjoyable read than The Magicians, and everyone was 100% correct! In addition to finally revealing Julia’s tragic tale, the second book in the trilogy (while unable to make Quentin more bearable) does raise the stakes for the final book in the series. ( )
  yrchmonger | Mar 12, 2017 |
It kind of seems that Grossman wrote the first book, not really sure if he would do another. And so reading the second book in the trilogy, it seems that he floundered to create a plot for it. It’s well-written, just like the first book, but it delves more into Julia’s history. Which seems kind of moot, considering she’s only briefly mentioned in the third book. We invest hundreds of pages into the background of a character that literally disappears from the overarching plot of the rest of the series, with the exception of a bleep here and there. But I do really like Julia, and her story is rather tragic. I feel like while Julia becomes sort of manic and obsessed once she finds out about magic, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind I would have reacted in a similar fashion if something like this was ripped away from me. You just should be aware before continuing the series, however, that you figure out the true plot of this book on page 301. I’m being literal; that’s the exact page.

Julia’s story is fascinating. And while, yes, Q is there too, Julia’s story is really what makes this book interesting. I love that you find out a more in-depth perspective on her life. The book is written in such a way that Julia’s part runs parallel with where Q is at in his life during the first book, and then it catches up to the current events that Q is expounding on. Through Julia’s perspective, you find out more about the underground hedge magic being performed, and it seems like a really badass kind of magic. Think of it in terms of intelligence. You can be formally trained, and excel at literary schooling. And then there are other people who have curated a “streets smart” type of persona that is just raw, bootstraps-type of knowledge. Both groups of people are intelligent in different ways. Quentin is technically trained, and Julia has enormous amounts of raw, street training.

Meanwhile, in Q’s perspective, they spend a chunk of this book in Fillory actually presiding over the realm. They’re bored and disenfranchised, so they decide to embark on a quest. And that’s when a can of worms is opened. I won’t really discourse more than that, but it takes a while for the book to find its proper footing in the grand scheme of things. Where the first book was largely world building, this book delves more into character motivations.

THE VERDICT:
It’s a decent book, but my least favorite in the series. That being said, the books are still so well-written and relatable that they remain better than a lot of current magical fantasy realism writers. Or whatever this genre is. The characters still remain delightfully flawed, preposterously realistic, and discordant with their lives, despite all the magic that surrounds them. They are still unhappy, but unlike the first book, they are more mature, more self-aware of this unhappiness, and they strive to make meaningful changes that may actually create eventual happiness. So, yes, the characters grow in this book. I’d say the final book is my favorite, the first is my second favorite, and this one is my least favorite. ( )
  Lauraborealis | Jan 31, 2017 |
The second book in the Magicians Trilogy. Picked for the SFF/SFFF KIT for a book I should have read in 2016. I meant to read this book last year when I started watching the SyFy television series based on the books. Season 1 is adapted from parts of the first two books and I had only read the first book -- years ago.
Quentin, Julia, Eliot and Janet are the Kings and Queens of the magical land of Fillory. Fillory is one of many worlds to which the magicians (who are from Earth) have access. Quentin is still the main protagonist. Luckily he has matured a little and is less whiny so his chapters are not as difficult to get through in this second book. Quentin is bored. He sets out on a quest to collect taxes from the Outer Islands. Julia goes with him. His quest turns into a quest to save magic in all of the multiple worlds. The quest chapters alternate with chapters that tell Julia's story. Julia's story occurs during Quentin's time at Brakebills College for Magic (book 1). Her chapters explain why Julia seems changed, possibly no longer human.
While I preferred the school setting of the first book, the second book was a much quicker read, easier to get through, the characters less annoying and occasionally funny. The ending was good.
"This isn't how it ends!" Quentin said. " I am the hero of this god-damned story, Ember! Remember? And the hero gets the reward."
"No, Quentin," the ram said. "The hero pays the price"

I like the books. The television show is much better. I'm looking forward to season 2 starting on the 25th. ( )
  VioletBramble | Jan 24, 2017 |
My feelings about this book; writing from the perspective of teenagers while probably accurate doesn't make for great writing. References while adding colour for the initiated can become tired if over used. If I were to classify the book like a movie, PG-13, for the first part creeping into R territory toward the end. Do I recommend this book? It has good points but it is out-numbered by the bad and annoying. Not sure if I'll read the last one. ( )
  charlie68 | Nov 29, 2016 |
I think I liked the first book slightly more than this one, but this was a very worthy sequel. Captivating, and Grossman nailed the ending. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
“Everybody wanted to be the hero of their own story,” Quentin declares, framing the novel’s theme in neat miniature. But by the end of “The Magician King,” he comes to realize that he just might not be. It’s a harsh lesson, and one that, in keeping with the preoccupations and innovations of this serious, heartfelt novel, turns the machinery of fantasy inside out.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, Dan Kois (Aug 26, 2011)

...a spellbinding stereograph, a literary adventure novel that is also about privilege, power and the limits of being human. The Magician King is a triumphant sequel, surpassing, I think, the original. I can't wait for the next one.

Echoes from The Chronicles of Narnia [...] continue to reverberate, but Grossman’s psychologically complex characters and grim reckoning with tragic sacrifice far surpass anything in C.S. Lewis’ pat Christian allegory.
added by melmore | editKirkus Review (Jun 28, 2011)

Lev Grossmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bramhall, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sophie
Quentin rode a gray horse with white socks named Dauntless.
This would be his quest: collecting taxes from a bunch of backwater yokels. He had skipped the adventure of the broken tree, and that was fine. He would have this one instead.
Quentin had an obsolete sailing ship that had been raised from the dead. He had a psychotically effective swordsman and an enigmatic witch-queen. It wasn’t the Fellowship of the Ring, but then again he wasn’t trying to save the world from Sauron, he was attempting to perform a tax audit on a bunch of hick islanders. It would definitely do.
That water must be ninety percent E. coli, and the rest was probably diesel fuel. This was not a body of water intended for swimming in.
Fortunately Poppy turned out to be excellent at this kind of cross-country dead-reckoning navigation. At first they thought she must be using some kind of advanced geographical magic until Josh noticed that she had an iPhone in her lap. “Yeah, but I used magic to jailbreak it,” she said.
When you get to that level of power and knowledge and perfection, the question of what you should do next gets increasingly obvious. Everything is very rule-governed. All you can ever do in any given situation is the most gloriously perfect thing, and there’s only one of them. Finally there aren’t any choices left to make at all.” “You’re saying the gods don’t have free will.” “The power to make mistakes,” Penny said. “Only we have that. Mortals.”

The boy is now king
Happily ever after?
Fate has other plans(Jannes)
How much would you want

to give up after a quest

to be a hero?

(legallypuzzled)

Quentin and his friends are now the kings and queens of Fillory, but the days and nights of royal luxury are starting to pall. After a morning hunt takes a sinister turn, Quentin and his old friend Julia charter a magical sailing ship and set out on an errand to the wild outer reaches of their kingdom. Their pleasure cruise becomes an adventure when the two are unceremoniously dumped back into the last place Quentin ever wants to see: his parent's house in Chesterton, Massachusetts. And only the black, twisted magic that Julia learned on the streets can save them.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,245,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible