The Magician King: A Novel by Lev Grossman

The Magician King: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Lev Grossman

Member:tsangal
Title:The Magician King: A Novel
Authors:Lev Grossman (Author)
Info:Viking (2012), Edition: eBook, 362 pages
Collections:eBooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy, fiction

The Magician King by Lev Grossman (2011)

Recently added byprivate library, Verkruissen, kanthony_1, SherrieB, scaboags, elm_sw, suzyrez, tayitude

English (102)  French (1)  All languages (103)
I really give this 3.5 stars. I have to say that this review may contain spoilers. I haven't decided yet. I think I am used to Mr.Grossman's writing style. He just hits you over the head, BLAM, this is what is happening NOW. BLAM this is what has happened to Julia. BLAM this is what is gong on now. BLAM.BLAM. BLAM. I hope I get my point across. I was rather disappointed that Janet was not present at all, I rather like her sarcasm. I did appreciate Julia's back story. We were given just 2 glimpses of her in the first book. In some ways her back story was far more interesting the the ACTUAL story. But a person does want to knock some sense in Quentin and say "Dude, its here in the "real" world where true adventure's lay" The dragon tried.Poppy tried. I will read that damn third book to make sure Quentin figures it out.

***I have thought about this and need to verbalize my thoughts: the rape scene with the fox really pissed me off*** ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
Follows from [b:The Magicians|6101718|The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)|Lev Grossman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1313772941s/6101718.jpg|6278977] by the same author. Still feels a bit like Narnia meets Catcher in the Rye. The plot and the fantasy are just fine (for reference, I am also a fan of [a:Steven Erikson|31232|Steven Erikson|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1219169436p2/31232.jpg], [a:Guy Gavriel Kay|60177|Guy Gavriel Kay|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1218804723p2/60177.jpg], [a:China Miéville|33918|China Miéville|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1243988363p2/33918.jpg]), but it is the exploration of human character that makes this book.
  david_c | Jan 24, 2015 |
The Magician King, by Lev Grossman is the second book in the Magicians trilogy. So, how would I describe it?

Only slightly more optimistic. Not that that says much. In the first book, not much good happens. In this case, Quentin Coldwater—our stalwart hero—learns exactly what the hero of the story gets, absolutely nothing.

Compared to other trilogies I’ve read, The Magician King doesn’t suffer nearly as much from being the middle child as you’d expect. The story is self contained and wraps up fairly nicely at the end. In fact, if The Magician King had ended up being the end of a two part affair, I would have been satisfied with the ending. Far more than I enjoyed the actual ending to the trilogy.

Full Review:
http://sypherhawq.wordpress.com/2014/11/01/book-review-grossman-lev-the-magician... ( )
  sypherhawq | Nov 1, 2014 |
Wow, if I'd have written this review halfway through the book, which I regularly make the mistake of doing, it would have read a lot like my review of The Magicians: "Very entrancing read with some great innovations in the genre, but with crap characters that I only want to see suffer."

Grossman is growing as a writer and I think the Magician King is head and shoulders above The Magicians in many ways.

Quentin and Julia are much more well rounded characters than they or anyone else was in the first book and we see suffering lead to growth and a complexity of response to the world that was missing from the first.

I'll probably never share Grossman's elitism and he'll probably always write like an unbearable snob, but this is some of the most entertaining unbearable snobbery that I've come across.

By the time Grossman is middle aged or older, I think he'll be able to write some really impactful stuff, and I'm looking forward to reading the path he takes to get there. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
“Everybody wanted to be the hero of their own story,” Quentin declares, framing the novel’s theme in neat miniature. But by the end of “The Magician King,” he comes to realize that he just might not be. It’s a harsh lesson, and one that, in keeping with the preoccupations and innovations of this serious, heartfelt novel, turns the machinery of fantasy inside out.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, Dan Kois (Aug 26, 2011)

...a spellbinding stereograph, a literary adventure novel that is also about privilege, power and the limits of being human. The Magician King is a triumphant sequel, surpassing, I think, the original. I can't wait for the next one.

Echoes from The Chronicles of Narnia [...] continue to reverberate, but Grossman’s psychologically complex characters and grim reckoning with tragic sacrifice far surpass anything in C.S. Lewis’ pat Christian allegory.
added by melmore | editKirkus Review (Jun 28, 2011)

Lev Grossmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bramhall, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sophie
Quentin rode a gray horse with white socks named Dauntless.
This would be his quest: collecting taxes from a bunch of backwater yokels. He had skipped the adventure of the broken tree, and that was fine. He would have this one instead.
Quentin had an obsolete sailing ship that had been raised from the dead. He had a psychotically effective swordsman and an enigmatic witch-queen. It wasn’t the Fellowship of the Ring, but then again he wasn’t trying to save the world from Sauron, he was attempting to perform a tax audit on a bunch of hick islanders. It would definitely do.
That water must be ninety percent E. coli, and the rest was probably diesel fuel. This was not a body of water intended for swimming in.
Fortunately Poppy turned out to be excellent at this kind of cross-country dead-reckoning navigation. At first they thought she must be using some kind of advanced geographical magic until Josh noticed that she had an iPhone in her lap. “Yeah, but I used magic to jailbreak it,” she said.
When you get to that level of power and knowledge and perfection, the question of what you should do next gets increasingly obvious. Everything is very rule-governed. All you can ever do in any given situation is the most gloriously perfect thing, and there’s only one of them. Finally there aren’t any choices left to make at all.” “You’re saying the gods don’t have free will.” “The power to make mistakes,” Penny said. “Only we have that. Mortals.”

The boy is now king
Happily ever after?
Fate has other plans(Jannes)
How much would you want

to give up after a quest

to be a hero?

(legallypuzzled)

Quentin and his friends are now the kings and queens of Fillory, but the days and nights of royal luxury are starting to pall. After a morning hunt takes a sinister turn, Quentin and his old friend Julia charter a magical sailing ship and set out on an errand to the wild outer reaches of their kingdom. Their pleasure cruise becomes an adventure when the two are unceremoniously dumped back into the last place Quentin ever wants to see: his parent's house in Chesterton, Massachusetts. And only the black, twisted magic that Julia learned on the streets can save them.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,171,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible