Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the…

Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith (2011)

by Robert Barron

2034357,794 (4.08)2 / 11

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I put off reading this for a long time, the subject matter seemed weighty, but once I settled in the imagery and thought provoking text drew me right in. Well done!
  JoClare | Jan 27, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Could you imagine touring all fifty of the United States in less than a week? This book, Catholicism, by Robert Barron manages to hit all the most important points of the teachings of the Catholic Church.

I only discovered the DVD this book accompanies after I'd completed reading. There may be slightly different material covered in the video project, (I have not seen all of it), but they seem to dovetail one into the other. Which came first? I could not say. They both use the advantages of their media format quite well.

I find Barron delightfully clear and direct. There are a few places where I find his logical arguments unconvincing, but some of that may be just my tendency to strain at gnats.

On the whole, I'd say this is an excellent resource for filling in the gaps for someone of the Catholic faith and a help to anyone outside the Catholic Church who wants an accurate picture of just what do Catholics believe. Once you've read The Holy Bible, and probably before attempting to trudge your way through the Catechism, walk with Robert Barron. You'll be glad you did. ( )
1 vote YesVirginia | Jan 4, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While I enjoyed this book, the Catholicism TV series is much more enjoyable. ( )
  rob80ert | May 5, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A great volume for converts to the faith, non-Catholics, and even Catholics who find themselves curious about the Church's depth. Fr. Barron does an excellent job communicating the basics of the Catholic Faith, but also helps the reader to (re)discover the beauty and majesty of this two-thousand year old group. I also recommend the accompanying DVD series, hosted by Fr. Barron himself. ( )
  shortwaveboy86 | Feb 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am usually a fast reader, but this book took me a long time to get through. It was so rich with ideas and imagery that I found myself unable to just tear through it. So many times I had to stop and ponder a passage, rereading it fully absorb it. This is a beautiful book, one I could confidently recommend to friends and family who have questions about Catholicism. I am sure I will refer back to it again and again.
  Suso711 | Jan 22, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to the community of the Pontifical North American College in Rome in whose gracious company it was written
It all begins with a jest.  The essence of comedy is the coming together of opposites, the juxtaposition of incongruous things.

[DVD set] - For the first time, in breathtaking, high-definition cinematography, the beauty, goodness and truth of the Catholic Faith are illustrated in a rich, multimedia experience. Journey with acclaimed author, speaker and theologian Fr. Robert Barron to more than 50 locations throughout 15 countries. Be illuminated by the spiritual and artistic treasures of this global culture that claims more than one billion of the earth's people.

From the sacred lands of Israel to the beating heart of Uganda...from the glorious shrines of Italy, France, and Spain, to the streets of Mexico, Kolkata, and New York City, the fullness of Catholicism is revealed.

The ten programs in the series are:

1. Amazed and Afraid: The Revelation of God Become Man
2. Happy Are We: The Teachings of Jesus
3. The Ineffable Mystery of God: That Which Nothing Greater Can Be Thought
4. Our Tainted Nature's Solitary Boast: Mary, the Mother of God
5. The Indispensable Men: Peter, Paul and the Missionary Adventure
6. A Body Both Suffering & Glorious: The Mystical Union of Christ and the Church
7. Word Made Flesh, True Bread of Heaven: The Church's Sacraments & Worship
8. A Vast Company of Witnesses: The Communion of Saints
9. The Fire of His Love: Prayer and the Life of the Spirit
10. World Without End: The Last Things

The box set includes five DVDs, each containing two full programs. Each program runs 50-60 minutes.
Catholicism
a deep and abiding faith
with focus on Christ
(sullijo)

Catholicism is an intimate journey, capturing "The Catholic Thing" in all its depth and beauty. Eclectic, unique, and inspiring, Father Barron brings the faith to life for a new generation, in a style that is both faithful to timeless truths, while simultaneously speaking in the language of contemporary life.… (more)

37 wanted2 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Catholicism by Robert Barron was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,154,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible