Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the…

Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Robert Barron

1694270,359 (4.06)2 / 11
Member:applebook1
Title:Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith
Authors:Robert Barron
Info:Image (2011), Hardcover, 304 pages

Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith by Father Robert Barron (2011)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I put off reading this for a long time, the subject matter seemed weighty, but once I settled in the imagery and thought provoking text drew me right in. Well done!
  JoClare | Jan 27, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Could you imagine touring all fifty of the United States in less than a week? This book, Catholicism, by Robert Barron manages to hit all the most important points of the teachings of the Catholic Church.

I only discovered the DVD this book accompanies after I'd completed reading. There may be slightly different material covered in the video project, (I have not seen all of it), but they seem to dovetail one into the other. Which came first? I could not say. They both use the advantages of their media format quite well.

I find Barron delightfully clear and direct. There are a few places where I find his logical arguments unconvincing, but some of that may be just my tendency to strain at gnats.

On the whole, I'd say this is an excellent resource for filling in the gaps for someone of the Catholic faith and a help to anyone outside the Catholic Church who wants an accurate picture of just what do Catholics believe. Once you've read The Holy Bible, and probably before attempting to trudge your way through the Catechism, walk with Robert Barron. You'll be glad you did. ( )
  YesVirginia | Jan 4, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While I enjoyed this book, the Catholicism TV series is much more enjoyable. ( )
  rob80ert | May 5, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A great volume for converts to the faith, non-Catholics, and even Catholics who find themselves curious about the Church's depth. Fr. Barron does an excellent job communicating the basics of the Catholic Faith, but also helps the reader to (re)discover the beauty and majesty of this two-thousand year old group. I also recommend the accompanying DVD series, hosted by Fr. Barron himself. ( )
  shortwaveboy86 | Feb 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am usually a fast reader, but this book took me a long time to get through. It was so rich with ideas and imagery that I found myself unable to just tear through it. So many times I had to stop and ponder a passage, rereading it fully absorb it. This is a beautiful book, one I could confidently recommend to friends and family who have questions about Catholicism. I am sure I will refer back to it again and again.
  Suso711 | Jan 22, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to the community of the Pontifical North American College in Rome in whose gracious company it was written
It all begins with a jest.  The essence of comedy is the coming together of opposites, the juxtaposition of incongruous things.

What is the Catholicism? A 2,000 living tradition? A worldview? A way of life? A relationship? A mystery? In Catholicism Father Robert Barron examines all these questions and more, seeking to capture the body, heart and mind of the Catholic faith. Starting from the essential foundation of Jesus Christ’s incarnation, life, and teaching, Father Barron moves through the defining elements of Catholicism – from sacraments, worship, and prayer, to Mary, the Apostles, and Saints, to grace, salvation, heaven, and hell – using his distinct and dynamic grasp of art, literature, architecture, personal stories, Scripture, theology, philosophy, and history to present the Church to the world.
Paired with his documentary film series of the same title, Catholicism is an intimate journey, capturing “The Catholic Thing” in all its depth and beauty. Eclectic, unique, and inspiring, Father Barron brings the faith to life for a new generation, in a style that is both faithful to timeless truths, while simultaneously speaking in the language of contemporary life.
Catholicism
a deep and abiding faith
with focus on Christ
(sullijo)

Catholicism is an intimate journey, capturing "The Catholic Thing" in all its depth and beauty. Eclectic, unique, and inspiring, Father Barron brings the faith to life for a new generation, in a style that is both faithful to timeless truths, while simultaneously speaking in the language of contemporary life.… (more)

31 wanted2 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Catholicism by Robert Barron was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible